Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Engine Harness wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
puffinator
I have a 914/6 and I need some wiring help. The attached photo shows the engine compartment wiring harness (behind the engine) with a green wire that I do not know what it should attach to. I don’t have a wiring diagram. The photo is of the portion of the harness branching off from behind the engine to the alternator.
Click to view attachment
McMark
Did you install the devil tape (electrical tape)? If not, pull it back to make sure it doesn't change color farther back. What I can see looks like household wire, not automotive.
aturboman
There was originally a wire that activated the decel valve dashpot connected to the carb linkage; it exited the engine harness in that exact location. This equipment was typically removed leaving an used wire which most techs tapped off or cut off.

Also check if you have an alternator with an internal regulator. This leaves an extra wire unused when the car was updated.

I agree with the last comment that the wire size doesn't look factory. Just ohm it out the relay board connector and by the pin # I can tell you what it is supposed to operate.
gandalf_025
The deceleration valve used 2 wires. A red and a brown as I remember.
Those are the only 2 wires I can think of right in that location.

There was a single white wire around there for the cold start system
that put fuel up into the air cleaner too.
mskala
I don't have any green in that area. Can't tell from the pic, but if it's actually
green with black stripe, then that goes to the oil temp sender at the front.
puffinator
The bundle goes to the relay board, the starter, the alternator, oil pressure, and the battery. The green wire goes to this position on the relay plug. The previous owner had cut the wire.

Click to view attachment
gereed75
QUOTE(puffinator @ Feb 24 2016, 11:50 AM) *

The bundle goes to the relay board, the starter, the alternator, oil pressure, and the battery. The green wire goes to this position on the relay plug. The previous owner had cut the wire.

Click to view attachment

I do not have my wiring diagram handy but I am pretty sure that that is a wire supplied for trans temp sender on sporto models. From the relay board it goes to the gauge cluster and is very handy for adding pressure gauge input for combo gauges.

I will not be able to verify until early March
puffinator
Where does the temperature sensor wiring go and what color is it? Does it go to the rear of the engine wiring bundle or the bundle in front of the engine?

gereed75
QUOTE(puffinator @ Feb 24 2016, 01:58 PM) *

Where does the temperature sensor wiring go and what color is it? Does it go to the rear of the engine wiring bundle or the bundle in front of the engine?

Away from home right now so can not consult diagram but it is green and runs from the instrument bezel to the relay board connector. Can not recall which terminal number

If you go behind the temp/ fuel gage you will find a loose solid green wire. That is it. It is in the main bundle coming out of the cabin. I do not believe that it went past the relay board into the engine harness but it might

Sorry I do not have the diagram handy to confirm the terminal. Anybody else have theirs available to check ??
puffinator
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 24 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Away from home right now so can not consult diagram but it is green and runs from the instrument bezel to the relay board connector. Can not recall which terminal number

If you go behind the temp/ fuel gage you will find a loose solid green wire. That is it. It is in the main bundle coming out of the cabin. I do not believe that it went past the relay board into the engine harness but it might

Sorry I do not have the diagram handy to confirm the terminal. Anybody else have theirs available to check ??

OK, that is the gauge end. How about the sensor end?
gereed75
QUOTE(puffinator @ Feb 24 2016, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 24 2016, 03:55 PM) *

OK, that is the gauge end. How about the sensor end?

the solid green wire comes from the gage pod into the relay board via the male/ female connector on the relay board. It is then routed via the relay board to a terminal on the engine harness connector but there was no green wire from the connector into the engine harness on my car

If there is one in your engine harness, I would suspect it was added later by someone or maybe your engine harness is from a sporto car??

In my case, I added a green wire to the engine harness and ran it out to a combination switch/pressure sensor mounted where the the oil pressure light switch sensor is normally mounted. Had to add a female pin receptacle to the connector to connect to the green wire via the relay board. I guess that is what the factory did on the sporto cars unless the sporto cars had a unique engine harness that included the green wire.

i do not recall (but can,t confirm) that there were any other solid green wires in the engine harness. If it is going to your alternator it could only be that someone added it to some other color wire that may have broken, in which case you can only solve it by peeling back the harness tape to reveal a splice or go to work with a multimeter to determine continuity of the mystery green wire

Good luck. I hope that helped
puffinator
What color wire is attached to your oil temperature sensor and where does that wire go? To the harness behind the engine or elsewhere?
gereed75
QUOTE(puffinator @ Feb 24 2016, 05:57 PM) *

What color wire is attached to your oil temperature sensor and where does that wire go? To the harness behind the engine or elsewhere?

The stock oil temp sensor is on the driver side front of the engine. I do not recall what color that wire is (green and black I think) or exactly how it gets there.

there is a stock oil pressure light switch wire. Can't remember color but again that is in the back part of the harness. In that same run are the previously mentioned wires for the cold start and deceleration dashpot . None of these are solid green

BTW - The sporto did have a unique harness very different from the stock six harness (easily recognized) so any solid green wire after the relay board would have to have been added/spiced into your harness
gereed75
[quote name='gereed75' date='Feb 24 2016, 07:06 PM' post='2307494']
[quote name='puffinator' post='2307448' date='Feb 24 2016, 05:57 PM']
What color wire is attached to your oil temperature sensor and where does that wire go?

Here is a pic from another world thread ( I knew I would find something - can you tell I am bored) of a repo harness but it is accurate and clear enough for these purposes. The temp sensor wire is a single very long green black striped wire that runs out of the harness on its own just after the big split of wires that go to the alternator.
Click to view attachment

Again, if you have a solid green it was spliced into your harness so no telling where it came from
gms
#11 is Oil Temp, should be green with black stripe
Festive_Zombie
Question for you electrical gurus, I'm building a harness for my -6 and trying to figure out a few things.

I will be running Webers with K&N filters so I should delete the cold start valve that would have been in the air cleaner, that then would negate the need for grey/white on position 10.

No decel valve on my setup, so that negates the red/black on position 2.

The relay board diagram describes position 6 red/white going to a Thermal Time switch, where was this located on the engine ? Although since I'm deleting the cold start valve I should probably delete this wire, I'm not seeing this on the harness pictured as well?

Cheers,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.