Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Park it, wait 28 years then try and start it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
This was a special enough moment, I wanted to share it. I've had this since Sept 2015 and been chipping away on the usual clean up, panel repair, parts collecting, etc. (see build thread, below)

I'm planning an engine swap so wasn't really concerned with the existing drive train but this past weekend, I figured, what the hell...

Parked 28 years ago by the PO. Will this thing start?
28 year old oil? CHECK!
28 year old spark plugs and wires? CHECK!
28 year old crap in the injectors and engine compartment fuel lines? I have no idea, I didn't even check... WTF.gif but lets go with: CHECK!

Get new fuel pump cuz that old one was TOTALLY seized up with varnish goo, hook up a remote "gas tank". What's the worst thing that could happen?

Disconnect coil and crank til the oil light goes out? CHECK!

Hook everything up and give it a go? CHECK and CHECK!

And? And?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprL5s4Cgjo

My build thread is here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=267908
tweet
unbelievable, any oil leaks?
tygaboy
QUOTE(tweet @ Feb 23 2016, 06:04 PM) *

Unbelievable is right, it cranked for like 2 seconds and fired.
So far, it's only run as long as you see in the video so not really time to check for what it really needs.

But this has me thinking I may restore it as is, sell it and find a more suitable car for the V8 conversion.

Seems like this one wants to stay alive as is.
veekry9
Did you in fact pull the plugs for a look inside?
I can't express how much wonder I have,the generous fate in store for the car.
A silver 914 that is pampered by everyone and is perfect in the end.
A good story.
smile.gif
/
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 23 2016, 06:21 PM) *

So far, it's only run as long as you see in the video so not really time to check for what it really needs.

But this has me thinking I may restore it as is, sell it and find a more suitable car for the V8 conversion.

Lennies914 has a very, very clean chassis he is selling but he wants to sell it with all the Suby stuff. Maybe you could make him an offer he can't refuse!
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 23 2016, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 23 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Lennies914 has a very, very clean chassis he is selling but he wants to sell it with all the Suby stuff. Maybe you could make him an offer he can't refuse!

Hey DiscoBayJeff - Where is this Lennies914 - I'm interested in a Subie conversion for mine - maybe his is better for me... I'm in the Bay Area too
pete000
It wants to live, save it and don't do a v8 !

It likes you...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.