Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Cam vs high lift rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911buff
Curious if upgrading to higher ratio rockers would accomplish the same effect as installing a cam that is Carburetor friendly? I really don't want to break the case if it is not necessary.

Reason; my son wants to rebuild the 2.0L and "upgrade" to extract more HP from the motor. So he is looking at a cam with higher lift and duration, higher compression piston/cylinders, some head work and because of all that, changing to Carburetors. I am hesitant to break the case because the bottom end is in great shape. So to preclude opening up the case, will the higher ratio rockers simulate a higher lift cam? I know it will not really increase the duration, so how do they effect the engine in terms of performance?

Or should we just bite the bullet and open things up and start from scratch? Would it worthwhile to upgrade to a stroker crank and build a 2.2L? Or stick with the stock crank with the 96mm, high compression pistons?

If we break the case, what is the telltale sign the case needs to be line bored? And to ensure the case half mating surfaces are still square?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
r_towle
All the real power is made with the heads.
Open it up, get a good camshaft and do I right grouphug.gif
stugray
I believe you will find you point moot the second you go looking for high ratio rockers for this engine.

Unless of course unless you can do them yourself or know a secret source.

If they were the same as a type I it would be a piece of cake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.