Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: August 1970
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
walterolin
August 1970.

I had been in country for about two weeks, 1st Battalion, 72nd Armor, Camp Rose, Korea, a few miles below the DMZ. (We used air cooled engines there, Continental AV 1790, V-12, 810hp, 1250 ft/lb. Would be a tight fit into a 914).

Thousands of miles away, in another universe, 4702911981 came off the assembly line - and started to rust.

I bought her for $1,500.00 in 1977, drove her for many years, and started the restoration in March, 2011. Here's the result if the embed works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijxgetityQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a4QcUnSiW0

Lot of people here on the World helped and deserve credit. SirAndy of course, Capt. Whitesell, Dr. Evil, Len Hoffman (heads were a work of art). Pelican, John Larson, and a bunch of vendors. Thanks to all.

mark04usa
smilie_pokal.gif Yea! Another '70 model back on the road. I love your car and I'm glad to see another 914 saved. Do you have a build thread here? Would like to see more of this car and info on its restoration. I'm close to having my '70 model back on the road...it has been just over a year on jack stands.
76-914
Very nice work. I love the narrow body, basic 914 style. That look is "high and tight". beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Very nice Walter. Looks like you're having fun. I like the beauty rings on the wheels. Very period correct. Don't see those much any more.
SirAndy
thumb3d.gif
Garland
beerchug.gif
ThePaintedMan
Congrats Walter! Walter was one of those guys I met during my own work on my car - I knew he had been around these cars for awhile, and even when he saw mine in person, he never made fun of me for having my own vision for the car. It's nice to finally see his own car back on the road. Beautiful job Walter!
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
piratenanner.gif Looks great, Walter!!!

Is that Cherokee Park in the first video?
bigkensteele
poke.gif BTW, I think that you may have overlooked an important interior component.
walterolin
"Do you have a build thread here? - Mark04usa" No build thread, this is the first time I've done something like this, and I didn't have much of a clue where it would go. It didn't dawn on me to start one.

BigKenSteele - Yep, Cherokee Park. The driveway shots are within a pitching wedge of Seneca, close to the tennis courts.
bigkensteele
I think that you told me a couple of years ago when I gave you a ride to your car at the VW/Porsche reunion that it was the first time you had ridden in a 914 since you last drove your car. It really was an honor to meet you and give you that ride, and it is great to see that you have yours back on the road and looking great! I love your story too and appreciate your service to our country.
turk22
Great videos as well Walter.

Great to see you out enjoying the car. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.