Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
With the help of the engine removal thread (thanks for all the useful text and photos),
I dropped my 2.0 on Sunday, the DAPO painted the alloy fan should black. Now the DACO, me, is trying to remove the shroud so I can have it media blasted back to natural. The front half seems to be hung up in the alternator area but I can't find any more screws or bolts to remove. The inner is still solid to the engine. I need to get these off.
Photo is not of my engine but the alloy shroud is what I'm trying to remove.
Any suggestions?Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Take your time, it all comes apart. It's actually easy, you just have to use common sense.
911buff
Once you remove the cooling impeller, there are four 13mm nuts holding the shroud to the case. Remove those four and the shroud will come right off. Good luck.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Buy a Haynes manual
Jetsetsurfshop
Did you disconnect the alternator boot?
jack20
Thank you.
Yes I removed the alternator leads. I do have a Haynes manual. This is uncharteted territory for me and frankly I get a little cautious on some of this stuff. Probably more than I should. Seeing the engine disembodied from the car for the first time, in my own garage is intimidating. I'm taking notes and pictures as I go. This project is simply to refresh the tins, engine bay, fuel lines, brake lines, suspension and brakes.
Thanks again for the help.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(jack20 @ Feb 24 2016, 12:46 PM) *

Thank you.
Yes I removed the alternator leads. I do have a Haynes manual. This is uncharteted territory for me and frankly I get a little cautious on some of this stuff. Probably more than I should. Seeing the engine disembodied from the car for the first time, in my own garage is intimidating. I'm taking notes and pictures as I go. This project is simply to refresh the tins, engine bay, fuel lines, brake lines, suspension and brakes.
Thanks again for the help.

But did you remove the BOOT as Shane asked? That's the rubber part that can be seen in 911Buff's picture above (it's around the 3 o'clock position). It funnels cooling air over the alternator. You may just need to gently press it through the opening if that's what is causing the shroud to hang.
jack20
I see what you're saying. No I haven't gotten in that far. The outer shroud is still attached. I'll be back on this in about two hours.
Thanks
Amphicar770
Take lots of pictures AND lots of notes.

I am starting reassembly on my 914 now. Having pulled apart lots of stuff, having sent items out for powder coating, rebuild, etc. I know I will be running into several moments of "now where did this come from".

Haynes manual useless. Shop manual and diagrams helpful. People on this forum, extremely helpful.
jack20
Thanks. I've been following your thread. You're a few days ahead of me. I was able to get the fan shroud off, which led to taking even more parts off than I anticipated. I'm off to the stripper/powder coater in a few minutes. I hope he's fast. I want to get this thing reassembled while my memory is still fresh...
r_towle
Remove the,alternator all th,way.
Remove the fan
Remove the thermostat cable from the flappers
Remove the top screws from the head tin
Remove the bolts that hold the oil cooler support
Remove the bolts behind the,fan,that hold the housing to the case.
Pull.
jack20
Sounds like you've done this in your sleep. Very helpful. Many thanks for the response.
Jack
euro911
Also, there's supposed to be a circlip that secures the alternator boot to the fan housing (on the inside of the boot and on the inside of the fan housing).

It's best to install the boot in the housing first, because it's a lot easier to get the circlip installed properly. (A lot of folks don't bother with the circlip because it's a pain in the bootyshake.gif to retrofit, especially with the motor installed in the car).

It might behoove you to get a new boot if yours isn't in good condition. They're pretty inexpensive (around $15 at Airhead Parts or some of the other bus specialty parts houses) ... just make sue you get the one for the 45 amp alternator.

P.S. Your lower alternator bracket is all packaged up and going in the mail later today ... enjoy biggrin.gif
jack20
Thanks Mark. You're correct. The boot is shot and I did find them on AP. Thanks for the tip on the size of alt at 45 amp.
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.