Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I hear a clunk coming from the front end when I hit a bump or a "step up" in the road. When I put her on the lift and the front suspension is hanging down it appears that the torsion rods are not in contact with the suspension. It's as if they need to be tightened but that would raise the front end. I'm sorely lacking in knowledge of the suspension. What say the experts? TIA, Kent beerchug.gif
LowBridge
the bars will move somewhat freely when the car is up on stands. more likely the bump is one of the rubber bushing that is worn out and needing replacement on the control arm
Elliot Cannon
Check that large nut at the top of the shock. You know, the one you need a pin-spanner or a large channel lock pliers to tighten. It's about 3 inches in diameter. Or it's probably part of the "Subaru Curse". You were warned. happy11.gif av-943.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 24 2016, 10:19 AM) *

Check that large nut at the top of the shock. You know, the one you need a pin-spanner or a large channel lock pliers to tighten. It's about 3 inches in diameter. Or it's probably part of the "Subaru Curse". You were warned. happy11.gif av-943.gif

Yup.
mgp4591
agree.gif
Also if you have a front sway bar, check the bushings on that. If they're worn or have disappeared, you'll get a clunk or sharp metallic sound as well- any badly worn bushing can make the sound you describe...
mepstein
And while your in there ... biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Also Kent, while you're in there ....

.... pull the steering rack suspension cover & check all the attachments there, since the D-side sits under the brake MC & the P-side sits under the windshield washer bottle & hoses - both are known to leak down into the pan & rust from the topside-down at the rack's attachment points.

IMHO every 914 owner & prospective buyer needs to check these, & they should be added to the 914's "hell hole" list! sad.gif

Don't ask me how I know! dry.gif

IPB Image

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2016, 10:29 AM) *

Yup.

All new fittings on the front end except for stabilizer bushings. When I installed the new Bilsteins, one had a rubber sleeve appx 13mm long and the other one did not have this sleeve. Were both side to receive one of these or should I have thrown the one away as it was a packaging part??? And I doubt the Suby Conversion played a part in this, Elyut. parry.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 24 2016, 01:59 PM) *

Yup.

All new fittings on the front end except for stabilizer bushings. When I installed the new Bilsteins, one had a rubber sleeve appx 13mm long and the other one did not have this sleeve. Were both side to receive one of these or should I have thrown the one away as it was a packaging part??? And I doubt the Suby Conversion played a part in this, Elyut. parry.gif

Japanese engine in a German car? Baaaad Ju Ju. I'm tellin' ya. confused24.gif smoke.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 24 2016, 06:17 PM) *

Yup.

Japanese engine in a German car? Baaaad Ju Ju. I'm tellin' ya. confused24.gif smoke.gif

Yup
mgp4591
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 24 2016, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 24 2016, 06:17 PM) *

Yup.

Yup

This ain't WWII.... Ain't no Axis Powers coming to overthrow the 914 World!! lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
Got nuthin' to do with WWII. But it's bad. Really baaaaad. confused24.gif smoke.gif
Larmo63
Rubber donuts in between the shock and the top shock cover?

And, your torsion bar end adjusters need to be relocated/rotated.
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 24 2016, 10:04 PM) *

That's what I'm thinking. Or as Mark mentioned, maybe they aren't tightened down properly. If I adjust the torsion bars it will raise the car. confused24.gif
914forme
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 25 2016, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 24 2016, 10:04 PM) *

That's what I'm thinking. Or as Mark mentioned, maybe they aren't tightened down properly. If I adjust the torsion bars it will raise the car. confused24.gif

Yes or Lower depending on which way you adjust them. confused24.gif
76-914
True Stephen, BTW, your making nice progress on your 914. This will be the year, yes?
OK, I put it on the rack last nite and McMark wins the cigar. Shocks aren't tightened down enough. Does anyone in the SoCal area have that spanner wrench that holds the shaft in place whilst the nut is cinched down or do I need to make one today? TIA, Kent
stugray
In my car I would hear a loud clunking noise when I came back in from a track session.
It sounded like something had come loose and was swinging/banging into something else.

I would crawl around under the car and check everything but could never find it.

It got worse to the point that it sounded like someone with a ballpeen hammer in the front trunk.
It would get louder & louder on the track until I would always spin the car in the last lap of a 20 min. session.

The last time it happened, I wanted to know what it was so I jacked up the car immediately after getting back to the paddock.

What happened? The right front wheel stayed up in the wheel well and had to be pushed down.

My front rubber bushings were binding badly and the "banging" noise was them binding, then popping when they let go.

I changed them out for the elephant racing spherical bushings and so far, no more noise.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 26 2016, 07:22 AM) *

True Stephen, BTW, your making nice progress on your 914. This will be the year, yes?
OK, I put it on the rack last nite and McMark wins the cigar. Shocks aren't tightened down enough. Does anyone in the SoCal area have that spanner wrench that holds the shaft in place whilst the nut is cinched down or do I need to make one today? TIA, Kent

Spanner wrench!! Don't you have a large pipe wrench? Do you know how to use it? av-943.gif I have used either one of these with some success. biggrin.gif Usually. Most of the time. smash.gif
Larmo63
Kent's nuts weren't tightened down enough.

Lol.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 26 2016, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 26 2016, 07:22 AM) *

Spanner wrench!! Don't you have a large pipe wrench? Do you know how to use it? av-943.gif I have used either one of these with some success. biggrin.gif Usually. Most of the time. smash.gif

It can be hard to get enough crank with a spanner to seal the cap - I usually use my 480 Channel Locks to crank on it. On stubborn ones, I'd tighten it then put a small MIG tack weld on the cap/body seam and when it came time to change them out, I'd take my carbide wheel and cut the weld. No harm, no foul and it wouldn't move in the meanwhile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.