Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather steering wheel recover - who does these please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Creamsicle New Zealand
Hi All

Does any one have a name please of who I can send a steering wheel too to have the leather outer replaced. I'm aware you can purchase the leather piece on its own but you need to fit yourself, looking for someone who can fit.
Thanks Steve
mepstein
Dallas custom steering wheel. They are closed until March 10th. They've done 6 for me. I won't go any where else and don't even suggest agla.
Shadowfax
Have heard many good things about Dallas Custom. I used Craft Customs out of Rockwall, TX (www.craftcustoms.com) and am very pleased with their service and the results.
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
PS for ALL - Note that Steve is way down in New Zealand .... so I don't know how expensive shipping would be to & from the USA, nor how difficult it would be for tarriffs/customs, time, logistics, etc.

Steve -

DSW as Mark said is one source:
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

However, a cautionary note - if your wheel needs paint, then do it yourself to get the proper color & sheen (Porsche satin black), because a lot of folks on here have gotten theirs back from DSW with the leather great, but the paint was off - whereas, others are very satisfied with both paint & leather - so this may be a paint batch or depending on which person does the paint.

There's another local SoCal guy whom many local Concours folks use, but I'll have to dig out his card, or get it anew in a couple of weeks at the big LA/Anaheim Porsche Swap Meet.

Being that you're way down under though, I'd also suggest checking around locally in NZ to see if there are any multi-marque classic car upholstery shops near you or at least in NZ who do good work on other Porsche, BMW, MBZ, etc. leather wheels & look at their past work. If they look correct, then use someone close to you.

The best way to find local referrals is to go to some car shows, check out the steering wheels (&/or whatever other work you need done), & ask them who did theirs.

BTW - IIRC your Cremesicle would've had the leatherette (vinyl) wrapped steering wheel, because I recall that Porsche switched to it on the 74 MY with the plastic gauge faces/black bullet gauges (only one TS indicator light) & black plastic threshold plates. So check at Jeff Bowlsby's CanAm page at the link below for details to guide your resto. &/or PM/email Jeff on questions not covered there.

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Creamsicle New Zealand
Thanks guys. The steering wheel is in USA and will get sent to the people who will do the recover. Mark from Original Customs has it and is happy to send it any where I can find who will do the job then send it down to me in New Zealand.
Thanks again for your responses.
Steve
Phoenix-MN
I used a Agla "skin" and stitched it my self. turned out very nice biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
The 1974 LE cars have leather steering wheels. wink.gif
siverson
I love the look of the stock 914 steering wheel, but they are too big for me. I need all the knee room I can get.

-Steve
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Feb 24 2016, 06:01 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Where do you get Agla Skin and what is it? Your steering wheel turn out very nicely I could have a go myself.
cheers
Steve
mepstein
Another option is to place a WTB for a stock leather one in great condition. I've bought some that look great to almost NOS from $100-300. A recover can look very nice but will never look origional.
RohJay
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Feb 25 2016, 10:04 AM) *

Where do you get Agla Skin and what is it? Your steering wheel turn out very nicely I could have a go myself.
cheers
Steve

AGLA is Alan Gun Leather Accessories
bradtho

I've been planning to do this. Did you do the pre-sewn option? what exactly is it?
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2016, 11:49 PM) *

Another option is to place a WTB for a stock leather one in great condition. I've bought some that look great to almost NOS from $100-300. A recover can look very nice but will never look origional.

Mark is right in both cases.

They redid two of my 911 wheels (I have another one going to them to be recovered in blue) Dallas Custom Wheel

You can also buy very nice wheels by placing a WTB ad.

Good luck in whatever direction you decide
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 24 2016, 07:26 PM) *

The 1974 LE cars have leather steering wheels. wink.gif

Thanx Jeff!

I wasn't sure if the change to leatherette in their cost cutting measures on the 914s was in 74 or 75 MY.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
burningman
Hey guys, I recently posted about this. See post title "Steering wheel sizes and leather requests".

Cost would probably be a little under $300. The caveat is I'm the guinea pig it'll probably take at least a couple weeks to get mine back to verify the work. One thing I can say is he's an awesome guy to work with and has always done exceptional work.
mepstein
QUOTE(bradtho @ Feb 25 2016, 03:17 PM) *

I've been planning to do this. Did you do the pre-sewn option? what exactly is it?

Pre sewn won't work if you want it to look authentic for a 914. When I bought the agla kit the quality was so bad and the holes punched so far off, I gave it to my dog for a chew toy. She turned up her nose and walked away. German Shepard was used to higher quality leather.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2016, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(bradtho @ Feb 25 2016, 03:17 PM) *

Pre sewn won't work if you want it to look authentic for a 914. When I bought the agla kit the quality was so bad and the holes punched so far off, I gave it to my dog for a chew toy. She turned up her nose and walked away. German Shepard was used to higher quality leather.

Funny... I've done two wheels (914 and 911) with AGLA kits and both turned out nice with out any problems. These were kits purchased about 10 years ago so maybe their quality has gone down hill blink.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
Dallas Steering Wheel! But only have them do the Leather, they don't restore the Metal Spokes correctly.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
My wheel is going to Dallas too, I'm double wrapping it, but not the nubs on the spokes.
Creamsicle New Zealand
Thanks every one for your input. At this stage I will go with Dallas Steering Wheels. Their web site looks good and they have positive feed back from you guys. I will ask Mark if he could take care of painting the metal spokes before sending. Dallas Steering Wheels are closed until 10th March. I will report back once I receive the finished steering wheel.
Cheers Steve
Tom_T
Don't be afraid to do the double-wrap with them either, since in most cases it won't be noticed as different from a strictly stock single wrap, but will be much more comfortable when driving.

I think that TC's in the pic above is DSW's double wrapped.

Cheers mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 26 2016, 07:57 PM) *

Don't be afraid to do the double-wrap with them either, since in most cases it won't be noticed as different from a strictly stock single wrap, but will be much more comfortable when driving.

I think that TC's in the pic above is DSW's double wrapped.

Cheers mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Correct, that is a Double Wrap! Great Feel!
ConeDodger
I did use AGLA about 10 years ago. The wheel turned out amazing but...

I was quoted one price and five months after I sent the wheel to them I called and they doubled the price because the " guy that quoted me that price was gone and the price is double that..."

I had mine double wrapped and when it came back, it felt a little loose. It has tightened up though...
burningman
I just got my steering wheel back from redlinegoods.com, looks great. Total cost is $129 for the leather if you want to install it yourself or $149 for basic install $199 for additional padding or grips installed. Much cheaper than the other options out there.

Here's the link. http://www.redlinegoods.com/914shiftboot.php.

If you want to get any other items covered in leather Maciek (Mike) the owner is more than willing to work with you and will often give you a discount if you send in your item so he can make a template out of it which he'll then send back. In this case I got a $100 discount as mine was the first 914 wheel they did.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Did you specify a 4 seam wrap?
burningman
Nope, no clue as to what that is but I'd make a bet if it wasn't done he'd modify the template or build process to do it. The guy is very easy to work with and accommodating to changes and/or requests.
burningman
I forgot to add that I sent him pics of the original wheels and some I found on the forum from Dallas I believe so he could copy the design. You can also choose any leather and stitch color you like if you want to go custom.
burningman
ah, now I see what you are saying about the 4 seam. I must have sent him another pic rather than the 1 seam original. If you order I'd stipulate that so it comes out 1 seam rather than 4 like mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.