Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I was wondering what is a good brand of headers for a 3.0 914-6 conversion.... im looking for opinions, stainless or steel /size biggrin.gif
thanks
steve
J P Stein
I use the Bursch. Once you get the rotten paint off, they work OK. My only complaint is the clearance (or lack of it ) below the oil cooler feed line. smash.gif work.

Dave at Triad was making some....I assume they are done now.
He makes gud stuff.....& prolly puts good paint on em'.
Marv's3.6six
Try Martin @ MSDS for headers. I just ordered up mine for my 3.6 transplant, good pricing and PCA discount. He is Maltese Falcon at the 914club here. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
agree.gif

They are great. Perfect fit, too.

Mine are RED.

KT
d914
european race headers, makes for 4's also, real nice guy
Series9
Mine are from Patrick Motor Sports. I'm happy with them. These are 1 3/4", but I would probably use 1 5/8" for a stockish 3.0.

I agree with the others to contact Maltese Falcon (Marty). He's a really nice guy and deserves our support.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (d914 @ Mar 22 2005, 05:55 PM)
european race headers, makes for 4's also, real nice guy

I agree....euro dude is the one.

Boycott Patrick....he thinks I am a God...sumthing.....I think he's just a putz. mAKE MY DAY TELL HIM I said so.....
J P Stein
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 22 2005, 07:01 PM)
[QUOTE=d914,Mar 22 2005, 05:55 PM]

Boycott Patrick....he thinks I am a God...sumthing...

As long as he don't think he's Denny Crane..........
Series9
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 22 2005, 08:01 PM)
Boycott Patrick...

I met him in person recently. He looks like John McEnroe. huh.gif
Qarl
European Racing Headers (I think that's where Patrick gets them).

Look in the Vendor Resources...

George Narbel is the guy!

Bradholio recommends them too!

Maltese Falcon
Marv, check your incoming FedEx ground next week--you've got headers ! Thanks for your product support (Trekkor wink.gif ). Marv's purchase also just put 9.14% into the Brad fund !!
Steve, you may want to consider a good metallic/ ceramic coating for your (B.C.) climate. We also offer coating upgrades that resist salt, snow, and moisture. Our long tube headers feature rotational fire collectors, and full length to the exhaust hanger--no extra cost ext. tubes. These are also now available at GPR, and one set will be raffled off at WCC '05 beerchug.gif
Marty
xitspd
I used Patrick Motorsports on my 3.6 project (image attached). I used European on my 2.7 project. Both have excellent fit. I have heard good things about MSDS as well. You can not go wrong with any of the three aformentioned suppliers. biggrin.gif
jim912928
ok..who makes them with heat...i live in the midwest and can't go with just straight headers!
IronHillRestorations
Patrick's parts are European Racing Headers.

I'd get Marty's or ERH. Bursch are junk and I wouldn't put them on any car. I feel slightly stronger about Bursch than Zois does about Patrick.

The only ones to get with heat would be GHL. I used to sell B & B, but they have fit problems with 75% of all the sets I've sold.

Do not make heat exchangers out of mild steel headers, UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE blink.gif wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 23 2005, 07:54 AM)
Do not make heat exchangers out of mild steel headers, UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE blink.gif wacko.gif

do tell?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 23 2005, 06:39 AM)
ok..who makes them with heat...i live in the midwest and can't go with just straight headers!

B&B does. They retail for around $1720 or so a set. Being a shop, I can get a slight cut in price on them, but not much, like $100. They are SSI's with heater boxes. I want a set really bad, but to spend that much....... just haven't been able to do it yet. sad.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 23 2005, 06:54 AM)
The only ones to get with heat would be GHL. I used to sell B & B, but they have fit problems with 75% of all the sets I've sold.

GHL? Who are they? Link to site please? I have only ever seen the Billy Boat stuff with heat before.
Root_Werks
Google rocks, that was easy:

http://www.ghlmotorsports.com/

Now to find 914-6 stuf.....
Root_Werks
$1625.... idea.gif They look better than the B&B ones.
rhodyguy
brrrrr! this was addressed in the tech questions in excellence. they recommended (bruce anderson) using the h.e.s from for a 911t. he states "they do work and will actually gain power over the stock exhaust on the 3.0-liter SC engine!". have you looked into a vendor that carries SSI Inc. products? you're gonna pay no matter what. what's comfort worth?

k
J P Stein
QUOTE (9146986 @ Mar 23 2005, 06:54 AM)

I'd get Marty's or ERH.  Bursch are junk and I wouldn't put them on any car.  I feel slightly stronger about Bursch than Zois does about Patrick.

Ah, now that I know better, if mine ever quit expelling the exhaust gasses to their assigned place....which they've been doing for 5-6 years.... I'll get sumthin' else.

After all, who could argue with your (or Mikey's) logically considered opinions. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
chairfall.gif you crack me up jp.

k
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2005, 11:01 AM)
they recommended (bruce anderson) using the h.e.s from for a 911t. he states "they do work and will actually gain power over the stock exhaust on the 3.0-liter SC engine!".

of course, if you run 911 HE's on a 914.6, you get to run sidepipes :-) ...

i think GHL may be the hot (sorry...) setup for 914.6 HE's right now, although i can't see how they possibly get equal-length tubes inside those shrouds...
J P Stein
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2005, 01:39 PM)
chairfall.gif you crack me up jp.

k

Only cause I bribed you with cookies biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 23 2005, 02:56 PM)
they recommended (bruce anderson) using  the h.e.s from for a 911t. he states "they do work and will actually gain power over the stock exhaust on the 3.0-liter SC engine!".

i think GHL may be the hot (sorry...) setup for 914.6 HE's right now, although i can't see how they possibly get equal-length tubes inside those shrouds...

all that is required is cutting,rotating, and rewelding the flanges correct? and an extension pipe right?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 23 2005, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 23 2005, 02:56 PM)
they recommended (bruce anderson) using  the h.e.s from for a 911t. he states "they do work and will actually gain power over the stock exhaust on the 3.0-liter SC engine!".

all that is required is cutting,rotating, and rewelding the flanges correct? and an extension pipe right?

Nah, it's more than that, they just don't work under a 914 very well. I had a set of 911 headers, not heater boxes, the pipes ran into the susp ears. Not worth cutting and welding them all up and such.

I have an extra set of Bursch 1 5/8" headers. I know, I know, some people don't like them. rolleyes.gif Thier fine, just crapy paint is all. What are they going for now? $350? The extra set I have is new, never been installed.
Brad Roberts
I know of several 3.2's running 225hp at the rear wheels with STOCK 9146 heat exchangers. Dont discount them. They work just fine on 3.0 and 3.2 engines. You end up with a little more bottom end torque and *might* lose some HP on the top end... but TORQUE moves the car forward and sets you in the seat. Oh.. you have heat if you locate a decent used set.

B
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Mar 23 2005, 03:13 PM)
I know of several 3.2's running 225hp at the rear wheels with STOCK 9146 heat exchangers. Dont discount them. They work just fine on 3.0 and 3.2 engines. You end up with a little more bottom end torque and *might* lose some HP on the top end... but TORQUE moves the car forward and sets you in the seat. Oh.. you have heat if you locate a decent used set.

B

agree.gif torque = accelration. A good set of used original heater boxes would work just fine on a 3.0...... if you could find a set.

One of the things I have noticed is the length of tubes. When all three tubes meet at the very end, that creates more torque, right? With most engines, sort of makes you want to grab a set of the "W" headers so all 3 pipes meet up ASAP and run long pipes back to the muffler to help out the top end? Probably just depends on the motor set up? confused24.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Mar 23 2005, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Mar 23 2005, 03:13 PM)

B

agree.gif torque = accelration. A good set of used original heater boxes would work just fine on a 3.0...... if you could find a set.

One of the things I have noticed is the length of tubes. When all three tubes meet at the very end, that creates more torque, right? With most engines, sort of makes you want to grab a set of the "W" headers so all 3 pipes meet up ASAP and run long pipes back to the muffler to help out the top end? Probably just depends on the motor set up? confused24.gif

Generally, longer header pipes before they meet at a collector means more low-end, shorter header pipes means more high end. Diameter also makes a difference, but the length makes a bigger difference. They all make about the same amount of torque (as in area under the curve), but whether the torque curve tips down, or is flat, or tips up, depends on the pipe length. A tipped-up curve means you get more torque at higher revs, so more HP at the top, but you have to shift more to keep the engine up in the range.
jim912928
Ok..anybody have a good set of stock 914-6 heat exchangers they want to part with?
klink
Question....Small motor, 2.2L, what size headers? I have been told to stay down around 1 1/2 inch for back pressure for the carbeurators. I notice that GLH smallest size is 1 5/8inch. Also how is the performance of the GLH headers? They look like a good way to go seeing as I would like to keep the heat exchangers.
Brad Roberts
From what I gather the GHL's produce little to NO heat. Someone who owns a set will chime in.

The GHL design is semi based on the early Turbo 930 headers. Really short primaries and LONG secondaries. Porsche also used this setup on the thermal reactor cars (which was close to worthless).. so.. make your own decision. I know we dont have much to choose from. One day I actually thought I was going to do something for the 914 crowd... but it was a pipe dream that went bad.

B
Gint
I have the set from mine that don't have any holes in the exhaust tubes. The exchanger boxes aren't the prettiest though. Of course I don't have to sell them for nearly as much as I paid for the $700 replacements. PM if you're interested.
Joe Bob
yeah....me.....talk to me about them.....
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Mar 26 2005, 09:05 PM)
I actually thought I was going to do something for the 914 crowd... but it was a pipe dream that went bad.

Yea, me too. I focused alot of attention on this seven years ago, and ended up dropping the idea.

I actually shipped a set of factory 914-6 HE's to Martin Pedersen in Europe, at Dansk to see if they would make them out of stainless.

He replied "we scrapped the factory tooling at the order of Porsche".

I'm sure you arrived at the same point; the tooling expense isn't justifiable.

I'd love to see accurate dyno tests comparing the B&B, GHL, factory HE's, as well as the Bursch, MSDS, and European Racing headers.

I know of several 3.0 conversion cars with the factory HE's, and after driving them you'd think it near impossible to get more power from the exhaust. Not bad for a exhaust with 1 1/4 ID tubing!
rhodyguy
who had the set of triad 6 headers with the provision for heat? they weren't using them and had offered them for sale , sort of, in a thread. someone in arizona, new mex? i would have liked to see a pictue of them.

k
Triaddave
i have a set of headers built and ready to ship and install. no heat but fit real well. no modifications to the shift bar needed. come with the head gaskets. they are steel with the 1 5/8 pipe. think i have three more unbuilt. they sell for $600.00 + shipping, if you need an exhaust with that i can give a price break, so headers and final exhaust would run at $870.00 + shipping, a $50.00 savings... still no heat though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.