Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
Anyone know of aftermarket mirrors that line up with the threaded holes in the doors? Looking for a mirror for the passenger side or an aftermarket set that just bolts on.

thanks
mark04usa
QUOTE(orbit398 @ Feb 24 2016, 03:16 PM) *

Anyone know of aftermarket mirrors that line up with the threaded holes in the doors? Looking for a mirror for the passenger side or an aftermarket set that just bolts on.

thanks

You can use the left side mirror on the right side...it was listed in the mid-'70's parts catalog as L/R fitment.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Feb 24 2016, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(orbit398 @ Feb 24 2016, 03:16 PM) *

thanks

You can use the left side mirror on the right side...it was listed in the mid-'70's parts catalog as L/R fitment.

agree.gif

As a cost effective RS mirror, get a nice used one, & the welded-in nuts are on all 914 doors, so you'll just need to drill the sheet metal skin & mount them. Get a new fresh base gasket though - both OE & 914Rubber repros are available - & might as well get 2 & replace both sides while you're at it.

BTW - GoWesty.com sells Vanagon/Bus SS mirror screws in the same exact size & thread - if you want to put permanently shiny ones on ..... while you're in there! biggrin.gif

AKAIK Porsche still sells the L & R side OE mirrors new (late style with the rounded bend of the arm) - if you want a perfect set, but they're about $225 a side less any retailer discount or the PCA parts discount with dealers. Sunset & Suncoast Porsche also tend to have good pricing on all Porsche parts.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jimkelly
not an exact match by any means and not metal, but for $10 at advance, pretty decent temp solution using existing threaded holes.
slotty008
Talking about mirrors: is the original outside mirror itself plastic or glass? My right side mirror is partly dull and I can't wash it off;
Kansas 914
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Feb 25 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Talking about mirrors: is the original outside mirror itself plastic or glass? My right side mirror is partly dull and I can't wash it off;

It is glass. I have heard about guys here getting local glass/mirror shops to make new ones for VERY little money.
slotty008
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 25 2016, 03:44 PM) *

It is glass. I have heard about guys here getting local glass/mirror shops to make new ones for VERY little money.

Very good idea! Thx Mike!

Robin
tomrev
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 25 2016, 06:44 AM) *

Yup, I just redid one with new glass, cost was $7. at a glass shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.