Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules for owning a Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
#1 Rule of owning a Porsche = Keep all the receipts!
#2 Rule = Never add up all the receipts!
and
#3 Rule = Never let the wife see the receipts (could be #1 Rule/SB & Series 9)
#4 Rule = Have "explanation strategy" down-pat (Thanks Steve!)

Tony
sb914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 24 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Tony

#3 Rule=never let your wife see the receipts!
Bulldog9
[quote name='sb914' date='Feb 24 2016, 08:09 PM' post='2307495']
[quote name='Cracker' post='2307492' date='Feb 24 2016, 04:03 PM']
[/quote]

I actually did/do keep all the receipts and have a self totaling excel spreadsheet that has a nice BIG bold Total Project cost and NET based on a Condition 1 Haggerty Valuation figure just in case my wife finds it.....

I even have my line rehearsed.... Yes dear, it is a lot, but it is still worth twice what I've spent.... and it will only go up in value driving-girl.gif

Series9
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 24 2016, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 24 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Tony

#3 is #1.

My last wife found a $4000 receipt for the transaxle on the RS and was furious. Little did she know that the receipt she found was before the rebuild, custom gears and WEVO conversion...

The real total was $7k. shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Rule # 4. I own a Porsche. I don't need a wife.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 24 2016, 07:46 PM) *

Rule # 4. I own a Porsche. I don't need a wife.

Definitely cheaper! biggrin.gif
Puebloswatcop
agree.gif However I do have a wife and since I bought her a 914 as well I am pretty much allowed to do whatever I want with them....thats right, if I do it to mine, I have to consider doing it to hers if she requests it....
Chris914n6
I have an Excel file with every dollar spent and future anticipated expenditures.

Luckily my car was built by Volkswagen AG and I'm not breaking the rules huh.gif idea.gif piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Rule x - If all your 914's are the same color, your wife won't know how many you have.
pdlightning
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2016, 06:12 PM) *

Rule x - If all your 914's are the same color, your wife won't know how many you have.

That is where I messed up. They are different colors and I am afraid to add up the receipts.

What rule does that fall under? ( The afraid part!)
r_towle
Rule #1 burn all Porsche related receipts and evidence
Rule #2 perform a similar value of home remodeling each year for your wife
Rule #3 never talk about the Porsche(s) with your wife
914Sixer
Always put the "new" car with the parts cars, it will be weeks before the car gets noticed.
mepstein
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Feb 24 2016, 10:05 PM) *

That is where I messed up. They are different colors and I am afraid to add up the receipts.

What rule does that fall under? ( The afraid part!)

That needed to be worked out before you said - I do.
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 24 2016, 07:15 PM) *

I think my wife knows rule number 2 and has used it to her advantage.

She keeps coming up with home projects to keep the 914 project(s) from happening.
Natemx42
"I'm going to start working on the Porsche this week."

Her response...ok see you in a couple of months!
thelogo
https://youtu.be/wDGQbLB-trM

You dont need a quadrafonic blapukac
r_towle
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 24 2016, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 24 2016, 07:15 PM) *

M

I think my wife knows rule number 2 and has used it to her advantage.

She keeps coming up with home projects to keep the 914 project(s) from happening.

I must admit, I have remodeled almost every room in the house.
Bulldog9
Its truly a tightrope. and I Heartily agree with the LESS discussion the better ;-) I have had an account for my 'toys' (guns, motorcycles, cars) for about 30 years. I transfer an agreed to allowance to it, dont mess with the budget otherwise. I also roll $$ from selling parts, or flipping cars, as well as 'found' money, etc. As a result and because it does not effect the budget, my wife is very supportive for the most part, but I still dont want her to see that spreadsheet.... lol

Years ago when list serves were new, someone either on the XS11 forum or SAABNET coined an acronym for our lovely wedded counterparts..... it was SWMBO meaning "She Who Must Be Obeyed" got long use and quite a kick out of that till she asked what it stood for..... lol
Larmo63

I tried that once with a fender amp that I snuck into the living room. It was an upgrade from a 15w amp to a little bigger 25w amp.

The wife didn't notice, but my son tried to say…..………(as I covered his mouth)
Elliot Cannon
I have a real wife but not a real Porsche. There is a point there somewhere. I think. smoke.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Damn, I didnt that of that! I took a different approach and had one painted her favorite color and told her it was hers. 4 years later she still hasn't even learned to drive a stick, but that doesent stop her from telling her friends her husband built her a porsche evilgrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 25 2016, 02:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Damn, I didnt that of that! I took a different approach and had one painted her favorite color and told her it was hers. 4 years later she still hasn't even learned to drive a stick, but that doesent stop her from telling her friends her husband built her a porsche evilgrin.gif

Hey, whatever gets you to the finish line. beerchug.gif
wes
I guss I didn't fellow the rules. before I was married I had a 914, 944, and a perfect 911 wide body, now married and have two kids a F150, a Prius, my driver a 96 Geo Tracker and my 914 on jack stands,,, oh yes my 914 parts car! Well I am happy and both the 914s are in the garage!
Cracker
Sounds pretty good Wes - good for you! Get that 914 off the stands so you can take an evening drive around Clear Lake...that would be "Nice"! rolleyes.gif

Tony

QUOTE(wes @ Feb 25 2016, 11:03 AM) *

I guss I didn't fellow the rules. before I was married I had a 914, 944, and a perfect 911 wide body, now married and have two kids a F150, a Prius, my driver a 96 Geo Tracker and my 914 on jack stands,,, oh yes my 914 parts car! Well I am happy and both the 914s are in the garage!
madmax914
Words to live by. Whenever she comes in to see what I'm doing and starts asking too many questions I just spray brake cleaner into a rag. She hates the smell of it.
Cracker
...now that's funny!

T

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Feb 25 2016, 06:25 PM) *

Words to live by. Whenever she comes in to see what I'm doing and starts asking too many questions I just spray brake cleaner into a rag. She hates the smell of it.

porschetub
[quote name='Chris914n6' date='Feb 25 2016, 03:08 PM' post='2307574']
I have an Excel file with every dollar spent and future anticipated expenditure,

Now that's just silly ,if you price a 914 restore you will never get there cause you will be worried about costs and become an accountant.
When you become an accountant you will put your uncompleted car in FS section very soon av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 25 2016, 03:31 PM) *

...now that's funny!

T

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Feb 25 2016, 06:25 PM) *

That is funny!

I.ve noticed that PB Blaster has the same repellant effect... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.