Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent alternator (G) light issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
4x4loyr
After fixing my other recent electrical issues, I was so excited to drive my P914 in our great SoCal weather, and then my red (G) alternator light came on while driving.

The red light comes on intermittently. And on a few occasions, while driving, it would turn off after hitting some bumps (the botts' dots on the freeway). Then, it would come on again some time later. The fan belt is connected with good tension.

I replaced the Voltage Regulator, same results. (when the VR is removed completely, the red light turns off).

With the car running at idle, my multi-meter only reads 12v at the battery.

While working through my previous issues, I did replace my relay board with another used board. The starter is brand new, as is the "hot start" relay. And, the green oil light is lit, so I believe the fuse is good.

Is my alternator bad? (just seems fishy that my relay, starter, and alternator would all go bad at basically the same time; or, could one bad one lead to the others going bad?)

It's a 1974 2.0, stock FI. Thanks in advance for any input
Mark Henry
Clean all of your grounds.
TheCabinetmaker
If that doesn't fix it, look at the connections between alt harness and relay board, and the wire on the light on the dash. Btw, what's a P914?
4x4loyr
So, I found some time to diagnose my intermittent (G) alternator light problem.

I performed the following test:
1) removed the VR
2) placed a wire between D+ and DF
3) started car, rev'ed engine, & measured battery voltage.

Results = (G) light went out, and the voltage reading was high, +16v.

I have 2 VRs (the original & a new one). With either of them installed, the RED light stays on, and the battery voltage only reads +12v.

My guess is that the alternator is good. However, I'm not sure what the rest of the test is telling me.

Thanks.
TheCabinetmaker
Have you checked the fan belt tension?
thelogo
Sound s like the ole

Case of beer3.gif

Electrical gremlins

bye1.gif
Rob-O
i agree grounds need to be cleaned. Sounds like when you hit a bump it's enough for the ground to jiggle around and make contact, but so after loses contact. Start with the ground on the transmission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.