Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Covair Junk Yard w/(200) cars Pics.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share something I found today. I was on business North of Flint, MI. and came upon this Junk Yard with more than (200) old Corvair's. I stopped and talked to the old timer who said the property was sold and he is moving to another location this summer. He showed me around, but I was in dress cloths and could not walk in the muddy fields. Mr. Norm said he is known world wide for his Covair collection. He is a retired GM employee and this his his hobby. I don't think he sells much & just enjoys collecting & having this stuff around. Here are some pictures.

I wonder if there are 914 junk yards like this?? Let me say it another way. I know lots of us have parts cars laying around, I mean real 914 junk yards??

Tom
TJB/914
another
TJB/914
another
TJB/914
another #4
TJB/914
anothr #5
TJB/914
another #6
TJB/914
another #7
TJB/914
another #8
TJB/914
another #9
Tom73
sad.gif It really is a shame to see those cars just rotting away like that. I just sold a '64 corvair convertible about two months ago. They are great cars.

tom...
TJB/914
another #10 and the last one. My favorite. This turbo engine was in a 1965 conv. with the rare turbo motor.
SLITS
Ahhhh yes, the American 911...................................

that'll get some flames! blowtorch.gif
Tom73
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 22 2005, 02:18 PM)
Ahhhh yes, the American 911...................................

Yep, and it came out, what, 5 or 6 years before the 911.........
Mueller
I have a brand new top for a '64 convertible...anyone need one??? smile.gif

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 22 2005, 05:18 PM)
that'll get some flames! blowtorch.gif

from what my dad told me about the one he had... they created their own flames... and leaked like a seiv!

I always thought they were cool though... biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
That 90 degree bend on the fan belt was a real innovative way of stranding yer ass in the desert.....

That car gave us Ralph Nader.....'nuff said....
Type 4
Vairs are cool. I have owned a couple. There is a simple fix that keeps the belt on. Racer Chris it using s Vair fan on his t-4.

Larrys Corvairs is sell engines for $50 each for the 110hp.

With a few tricks they dont leak. A 180hp in a 914 would be awsome.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/donors.html
SLITS
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 22 2005, 03:37 PM)
With a few tricks they dont leak. A 180hp in a 914 would be awsome.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/donors.html

Dr. Evil tried....gave up and went to Med School........... dry.gif
bondo
In a few more years that red one will look just like a 914 smile.gif
bd1308
those things look awesome....as soon as i pay off this powerbook (WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!) I will get on a corvair.
sixnotfour
You think 914 guys are cheap you should hang with the Corvair dudes.

I have had my fair share of them . In 1978 63 spyder turbo 300.00 Ran great, fun to autocross.
3rd out of 26 year endpoints
Blow em up sunday, trans/rearend new one in for school sunday night.
only lost a fan belt 1 time. vlave seat 2 times wrecked 3 times.

Still have the hubcaps. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Dr. Evil tried....gave up and went to Med School...........  

I gave up only because Red-beard gave me a 911 engine. I still have the 140hp 2.7l engine that I made into a 3.2l monster. I need to sell the whole deal, though. I even have a reverse cam, higher volume oil pump, etc. All it needs is assembly. It would still be a great and cheap /6 conversion that would be unique. If I had time I would find another car and do it. Aaron has seen parts of it. Anyinterested parties can contact me via PM and I have a grip of info on working on these things. They are very easy to work on, just like a 6 cyl TIV.
Joe Bob
$50?
Aaron Cox
i done seen his motor. it is pretty cool......

actually....

very cool
Dr Evil
$50?

Not in this life time. The cylinders alone cost me $350 + other goodies. I have the adaptor fir a 901 tranny, too. flipa.gif
sixnotfour
I had an 140HP based Engine my Dad built a long time ago, had the 40ida 3 bbl webers.all the cool stuff.
Sold it on a web site called HP corvair,(I think, trying to forget) you might list it there, I got 1700.00 for mine. about 3 years ago. Took a while.

my Dads autocross Vair 911 wheelbase. sold it seperate 1975pic sawzall-smiley.gif
JeffBowlsby
Only a single intake runner to each side on a turbo sixer? I guess they have a manifold distributing it to all three cylinders in each bank? Wheres the throttle body?
rick 918-S
It was 1983... custom rose pearl paint, hand formed sheetmetal air dam, cool fade stripe.
Tom73
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Mar 23 2005, 06:08 AM)
Wheres the throttle body?

They had no idea what a throttle body was back then, they used a carb biggrin.gif
SteveSr
Had a Corvair motor in a sand rail once.......cool cars. Too bad they rotate the wrong way........
andys
Ran a '65 Corsa 180 at the dry lakes (El Mirage). 131MPH in a standing start mile; that was in '69. I remember a 911 entered in one of the SCTA meets ran 99MPH. A few minor mod's to the turbo 'Vair, and it would run really strong....could just about stay with the Z28 or that era from a rolling start. Tom (don't want to butcher his last name; Armenian decent) ran 167MPH in a race prepped turbo 'Vair. Intake charge was freon cooled.

Andy
Aaron Cox
hey...i was at el mirage yesterday

my uncle races cars out there too......
sixnotfour
Turbo's used a single barrel Carter YH side draft.
TJB/914
Hi All Corvair Fans (air cooled)

Went by the Corvair yard today and everthing is gone. The yard had over (100) cars in the yard a few months ago. Look at this picture, nothing left.

Very sad news to report.

I was told everything went to the crusher. I wonder if the price of our air cooled brothers Covair's will increase in value?

Same with our 914's. Every 914 that is cut up or crushed is a huge loss.

Tom

jd74914
Waste of some perfectly good restoration candidates dry.gif

They should have put them on eBay atleast, the probably would have made some $$ and there would have been more around sad.gif
markb
The guy that owns the VW wrecking yard where I store my parts cars ran across a corvair van a few months ago in another yard. He traded some cars with the other yard & brought it back to his yard. Put gas in it, hooked up a battery, the car fired right up & ran like a champ! Sometimes ya just get lucky. Now it's sitting over to the side, awaiting it's turn to rot away. sad.gif
Brian Mifsud
Throw a Small Block Chevy in that car................. biggrin.gif

same problems with transaxles, cooling system etc... when you look into the wild things guys do to Corvairs, its the whole 914/"frankenstein" thing all over again... mid-engines, big blocks, twin turbos...

Body styles look really cool though...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.