Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Leak Hell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
I like to ideas on what the heck is going on.

Doing a 1974 914 restoration. Stripped completely down to just the chassis, painted etc..... Ran great prior to start but had an oil lead that dripped down from the oil pump pressure relief valve screw. Assume it was the oil radiator.

While engine was out, I replaced seals that mate the oil radiator to motor, making sure new seals were siliconed in place so they could not move during re-installation. Welded a nut to the oil pressure relief valve screw so I could really tighten it good (with new seal). Thought I fixed the oil leak.

Installed engine, hooked up, started up. Still leaks oil staight down to Oil Pressure Relief Valve. Assume it can only be the stupid oil radiator again. What else could it be? Leaks good when engine running.

Any ideas? thanks
ejm
Look at the oil pressure switch thru the hole in the tin near the distributor. It's the usual problem.
orbit398
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 26 2016, 07:04 PM) *

Look at the oil pressure switch thru the hole in the tin near the distributor. It's the usual problem.

just check - all dry there, damn
TheCabinetmaker
The oil filter console is just above the relief valve. A leak there will end up on the valve.

Btw, throw that silicone in the trash. It, or rtv, has no business anywhere on a 914 engine. One little glob will stop up oil passages and destroy the engine.
orbit398
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 27 2016, 06:15 AM) *

The oil filter console is just above the relief valve. A leak there will end up on the valve.

Btw, throw that silicone in the trash. It, or rtv, has no business anywhere on a 914 engine. One little glob will stop up oil passages and destroy the engine.

Thanks for the suggestion, will investigate. From pics I have seen, assume the o-ring that is used at the 'oil filter console' could be the culprit? Can it be changed out via under the car?

ONLY a tiny amount of silicone was used to position those new gaskets- dried in place over night, then mated oil cooler so nothing introduced in to oil loop.
orbit398
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 27 2016, 06:15 AM) *

Thanks for the suggestion, will investigate. From pics I have seen, assume the o-ring that is used at the 'oil filter console' could be the culprit? Can it be changed out via under the car?

ONLY a tiny amount of silicone was used to position those new gaskets- dried in place over night, then mated oil cooler so nothing introduced in to oil loop.
stugray
There is no o-ring in the oil filter bracket (console).

There is a paper gasket behind the bracket.
It can be changed from under the car relatively easily.
2X 13mm nuts with studs into the case
TheCabinetmaker
Stu, it's not all that easy. One of the jobs I dread. One of the console bolts cannot be removed without pulling the oil cooler forward.

Orbit, the oil cooler seals should only be coated with oil. Dried silicone will act as a deformity in the seal and it will leak. Others here will agree when I say "NO" silicone. The late Capn would not be so nice about it.
sfrenck
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 27 2016, 04:04 PM) *

Stu, it's not all that easy. One of the jobs I dread. One of the console bolts cannot be removed without pulling the oil cooler forward....

agree.gif Just tried last week... couldn't get the darn top bolt off
ejm
Any chance there were spacer washers between the case and cooler? There shouldn't be but I've seen it done a few times. btw since no one mentioned it, thick grease is the preferred way to hold the seals in place for assembly
r_towle
You can replace the oil cooler seals properly with the motor in the car, it's not fun, but it can be done.
orbit398
Well, from what I am figuring, being the the whole motor was steam washed prior to installation, and it only ran for 10 mins or so, it appears the leak may be from the "intermediate flange for the oil filter". Kinda wet there but not on top so I think the oil cooler is fine. I never messed with the two nuts that hold this oil filer deal on. Can't touch the top nut but tightened the lower one extra tight.

Will start it back up tomorrow. And keep my fingers crossed. Good to know that if that doesn't solve the problem, I can remove the oil cooler again, and do this again. What PITA.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm really not trying to ride your butt orbit. My intentions are to save you some trouble and work. I would never power wash an engine in a 914. It's asking for oil leaks. If any of your seals and gaskets are questionable the power of the water will loosen them or even blow out a paper gasket. The electronics don't like it either. Do yourself a favor and post a question about what you want to do before doing it. The collective brain trust here is amazing.

The intermediate plate at the oil filter is what I was referring to.
You will not cure it by tightening the one bolt. The gasket must be replaced. Coat both sides of gasket and both metal surfaces with gaskacinch or equivalent
Good luck with your project.
stugray
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 27 2016, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 27 2016, 04:04 PM) *

Stu, it's not all that easy. One of the jobs I dread. One of the console bolts cannot be removed without pulling the oil cooler forward....

agree.gif Just tried last week... couldn't get the darn top bolt off

You are probably right.

Just a couple of weeks ago I removed the oil cooler with the engine in the car and put it all back together but with a blockoff plate at the oil cooler.

So I remember putting the filter bracket back on was easy, but thats probably because the blockoff plate is not in the way.
orbit398
Well - no such luck on leak fix. It is not coming from the oil cooler or the what you all are calling the oil console. Right by where the console attaches to the block, there are two aluminum plugs. The top one is leaking. Appears I must drop the motor and remove the front fan housing etc. to gain access. What a pain.....

I'll be sure to replace the oil console paper gasket as I might as well.

thanks for all the suggestions....
r_towle
Oil galley plugs do leak, and they are aluminum.
The fix is pulling the galley plugs , tapping them for an NPT thread, and installing threaded plugs.

Over time the plugs get loose during all the heating and cooling cycles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.