Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914Rubber Back Pad Assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
First, let me say that I'm a huge fan of 914Rubber and Mark's contributions to our community.

I have been presented with a back pad kit for a customer car and would like to create a finished assembly in as little time and with as few mistakes as possible.

Has anyone documented the assembly?

Questions:

What did you do for the top mounting tabs on the fiberglass?

How did you secure the vinyl to the fiberglass? Staples are obviously out of the question.

How did you secure the inside seams to the fiberglass?

What did you use to fasten the three sections together? Screws in fiberglass seem like a bad idea.

Thank you. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Its all contact cement for the attachment. You will probably want a helper as the flat areas do not have much extra so you want to get it right the 1st time.
Put the foam on the fiberglass, glue down the outside edge and then pull tight. You will want to warm up the vinyl 1st by setting in the sun.
I prefer to use tinnerman nuts to join the panels together.
Series9
And for the upper mounting tabs? I guess I should just fabricate those?

For the inside seams that have to be firmly attached to the fiberglass?

If you prefer to use tinnerman nuts to join the panels, why are they not included?

Contact cement is not going to cut it, long term. On the higher-stress sections, the factory used both contact cement and staples to keep things in place.

Since I want to get it right the first time, as you said, and since the assembly is significantly different than the factory unit, some detailed instructions seem prudent.
Mikey914
Most use the hardware off the old pad. You can easily fabricate the tabs. This is a "replacement part" designed to utilize the old foam and hardware. I have used contact cement, but if you have a better idea let us know.
Series9
I am creating a comprehensive set of assembly instructions/pictures for this back pad.

Give me about a week. smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 3 2016, 05:43 PM) *

I am creating a comprehensive set of assembly instructions/pictures for this back pad.

Give me about a week. smile.gif

first.gif and the trophy goes to Joe!
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2016, 08:57 AM) *

Its all contact cement for the attachment. You will probably want a helper as the flat areas do not have much extra so you want to get it right the 1st time.
Put the foam on the fiberglass, glue down the outside edge and then pull tight. You will want to warm up the vinyl 1st by setting in the sun.
I prefer to use tinnerman nuts to join the panels together.

How about sending my last order or am I just a dick for asking,don't like this but its time,repeateted PM's and nothing ???????? your comments direct to me would be a cool.
Mikey914
Dean,
Responded to your PMs there was some confusion on if you wanted other parts added, and when I personally have to send invoices you wind up waiting for a few days as when I'm at my day job I have to forward to my guys to process and follow through. When I offered to add in the other parts to save you money on shipping and you indicated yes, they did add. However when you PM's me you didn't need them it confused the guys. I did just get the corrected invoice to you. If you do not want the parts I can cancel it no problem.
We have made steps to be better at communication with our customers and 98% of all that goes through our site is processed quickly and efficiently. International orders do represent some additional difficulties if they aren't just processed on the site. It's nothing personal, but I personally do not have enough hours in the day, but if communication is clear I can easily pass on what you need to my guys to process.

I do take what I do seriously, but sometimes more complicated transactions will take longer.
-Mark
Series9
I'm about half way through and about 30 pictures into the back pad assembly.

It's going well, but it's complicated. (like 15-hours-complicated) Stand by.....

This will be a no-contact-cement-under-tension assembly that will stand the test of time.
Series9

Up to 67 pictures. The center is almost finished, as is the passenger side.

I plan to have the whole thing finished by Thursday.

Standby for a seriously long "how to" thread.
brettrarnold
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 8 2016, 02:57 PM) *

Up to 67 pictures. The center is almost finished, as is the passenger side.

I plan to have the whole thing finished by Thursday.

Standby for a seriously long "how to" thread.

Hi this is Amy and I am looking forward to your back pad post as i am getting ready to start on this project soon.

Thanks for the hardwork in advance.
Amy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.