Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any Synchro Vanagon Owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Always thought a 4WD VW van would be a cool thing to have. I am aware of most of the common probs with the late 80s Vanagons and that repairs on the synchro can be expensive.

Just looking for opinions on owning/driving them.
scotty914
i would say go to the yahoo subaru vanagon page, but they all love em there... kind of biased.

you would save money in the long run and do a suby conversion, more hp and longer life
Rhodes71/914
I would like to pick one up for a decent price that has engine troubles or a bad engine and do the subby conversion. That would be optimal.
Maltese Falcon
They are way cool, even more so with a 3.2 Carrera in it. Check out the Range Panzer Syncro, my driver since 1990...currently offered for sale @ www.recycler.com , check around the VW van section. Also a small photo of it in the Project Vehicle section of our site...clickee below wink.gif
High point of driving it is winching other 4 by 4s out of mud/ sand screwy.gif It crosses creeks readilly also !
MF
p914
Excellent clearance.
Maltese Falcon
Hey, those used to come in pairs ( avatar) smile.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Mar 22 2005, 09:03 PM)
They are way cool, even more so with a 3.2 Carrera in it. Check out the Range Panzer Syncro, my driver since 1990...currently offered for sale @ www.recycler.com , check around the VW van section. Also a small photo of it in the Project Vehicle section of our site...clickee below wink.gif
High point of driving it is winching other 4 by 4s out of mud/ sand screwy.gif It crosses creeks readilly also !
MF

Now that is cool drooley.gif

Need more info.
solex
I did not have the AWD version but owned an 84 and 91 and they were great utility vehicles and very comfortable.

I put a set a Audi A8 wheels on my 91 and it handled well. The only problem is the engine being underpowered and its tendency to leak coolant, thru the gaskets. Bleeding the cooling system is a treat. Also the engines run very poorly if there is the slightest air leak, and is usually not easily diagnosed.

Check out vanagon.com and if the mailing list is still active subscribe to it. The list was very helpful.

I also have an excellent Bentley repair manual for sale.
jasons
I want one of the crew cab versions. They are hard to find and expensive when you do.

user posted image
banderson
My dad had one. I took it on a few trips. Power was good enough, but not impressive.

My biggest complaint was the gearing. It hit yellow line at 65 mph. I hate driving a car that tells me how fast to drive.
Katmanken
Parts are expen$ive.

I believe the front rotors are $600 and only fit the syncro, not the 2wd Vanagons.

Also have a reputation of beign hard to work on- compared to the 2wd. There are big plates on the underside that get in the way of servicing everything.

I love my Vanagon, but it's not a syncro.

4k rpm at 70mph blink.gif

Ken
MecGen
Hi
I can speak for the Wests, I fix a lot of them.
Waterboxer, buy it with the assumption the motor is f**ked, this way you won't be disappointed when your coolant falls out. I looked into a VW co that used to make a kit for a 1.8 or 2.0l regular Golf motor, heavy oil pan mod because the motor was tilted to fit. with a rebiult motor - core included, 5000$ installed. Just a bit over a "real" waterboxer rebiuld would cost.
good luck with it
Joe

beerchug.gif
Rhodes71/914
Haven't had any 914 content to contribute due to the fact that there is snow on the ground and I won't be driving it for a few more months. But I did pick this up while visiting the in-laws in Salt Lake. Now all I have to do is make the long drive back to Alaska.
user posted image

Pic from PO before I got the van.
87 Syncro with diff lock. Poor thing was dirty as hell but in decent mechanical condition with the original 2.1 wasserboxer in it. A subby conversion will happen when this one dies.

I'll post some pics of the transformation soon.

Anybody want to ride to Alaska in a couple of weeks?
r_towle
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Mar 23 2005, 12:03 AM)
MF

please provide a link either on your web site or here that shows your ranger panzer for sale...

Im sorry, but recycler.com is a PITA to use.

Rich
dimitri
Great looking Syncro Camper. I have one, 86 syncro for more than 14 years,
bought used with 100k miles, just stock Van. Installed a Subaru XT6 engine
into Van, 2.7 l 6 cylinder. Could have done it with a 6 cylinder Porsche engine, but water heating is hard to beat. Great for snow, travell, camping
and hauling. Very reliable and a blast to drive, now has over 240K miles, but
still solid. Use wheel spacer and 15" Porsche phone dials. Next step will be
installation of of larger brakes. Dimitri
smilieDimitri beerchug.gif
Quilmes
Here are a few that I have found and like the way they look.
Not all are Campers on the photos.

Quilmes
Quilmes
more engine is a 2.5 flat 4cyl turbo
Quilmes
engine shot
Quilmes
Here is a Syncro with a 3.3Li Subaru SVX engine
Quilmes
Silver Bus brakes, I think that they are on up-side down??? But still looks great.
I might just build one.
Quilmes
Syncro from Germany
Quilmes
Just in case you have a 3.8Li Porsche laying around I guess you could do this.
Quilmes
Becks engine
Quilmes
Inside view with nice seats
Quilmes
And for you Crew Cabbers
Quilmes
Crew Cab
Maltese Falcon
My old Range Panzer 3.2 had its 4th gear upgraded to an Aussie OD ratio, installed by Jeff Fields/ Transaxle engineering . The revs became "Normal" in 4th on the highway , about 2,800 @ 70mph. The oe 4th gear in a syncro will rattle your teeth @ 70 sad.gif
The van was sold last year, and being restored as a 4cyl 2.1 (orig). The 3.2 became a donor engine into an artic blue 9146GT.
My only VW is this one now-- The German8ter
Maltese Falcon
nuther ...even has little chevvie bowties laser cut in the motor mount biggrin.gif
914werke
As I recall the Kap'n had one stashed outside his shop that was tricked out in off full road warrior trim?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.