Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does the exchanger rate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
In response to the Winter Woes post regarding the driving characteristics
of the 914 in the snow/winter season, my next question is this.

Myself like many out there in the club Probably never intend on driving their 914 in the winter (especially after the restore) so does it pay to mess around with the heat exchangers and the heating system? A set of pipes with the exchangers in good shape can be real spendy. Add to that those ducts in the Longs in my car were removed when the longs were replaced. I'm not saying I cannot reinstall them, but is it worth the time and money to have half ass heat?

Also, how does the absence of a heating system effect the cars value? or does it?

Thanks WTF.gif
Steve
I think it depends on where you live. In so cal, a lot of 914's are running headers especially conversions
mepstein
A stock 914 does not have half ass heat. When the heating system is working properly. It can blow so hot that even on a very cold day, well below freezing, on the highest setting, you have to open your windows.

A 914, without properly functioning heat, looses quite a bit of value when selling.
damesandhotrods
You’d be surprised at how chilly a spring or fall evening drive can be with roof off and the temperature drop from driving along at 50 to 65 mph…
porschetub
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 29 2016, 09:28 AM) *

I think it depends on where you live. In so cal, a lot of 914's are running headers especially conversions

Intersested to know how heaterless cars in So Cal deal with condensation on the inside of the screen ?,this question my be of interest to the OP also.
Tom_T
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 28 2016, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 29 2016, 09:28 AM) *

Intersested to know how heaterless cars in So Cal deal with condensation on the inside of the screen ?,this question my be of interest to the OP also.

Probably not so well Steve! biggrin.gif

I always found my 914's stock heater more than adequate once the engine warmed up to operating tempuratures - even in the snow in our mountains on ski & snow trips - over a decade & 132K +/- miles of DD use.

The other thing that I REALLY liked about the 914 heater & vent set-up, is that you can put the heat on the floor only, with cold outside air on your face from the dash vents - which is really helpful driving long hours or late at nite or wee hours! smile.gif

Most cars today do not give you that option, even with all of their fancy-schmancy electronic controls!

So IMHO it's more valuable to have heat/HEs on your 914 - or at least save the parts to put them back at some future point if/when needed or to sell.

Yeah, I know, they're big & bulky to store, but stuff them up in the rafters! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
In your area, you need heat, sorry.
Defrost is key.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.