Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
I would realy like a working fuel gauge instead of a stick in the tank every other day. When I turn on the key the needle jumps which makes me think the relay is OK, but the needle won't move off empty. Haven't pulled the sending unit out of the tank because I don't know how. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? Oh ya and the fuse is ok. headbang.gif
SpecialK
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the sending unit. Not hard to get at, but requires the removal of the expansion tank that's mounted on top of the gas tank IIRC. If you have a multi-meter, and know how to use it, you can narrow down the problems pretty quick.

If you do a search here for the fuel level sending unit (discussed recently) there's reference to what ohm readings you should have for a given amount of fuel (remove the wire from the sending unit, and check to ground for your resistance readings)

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE TESTING THE SENDER, YOU DON'T WANT ANY SPARKIN' GOING ON AROUND THE GAS TANK!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.