Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fed Ex Shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Puebloswatcop
I learned a valuable lesson when shipping via Fed Ex. This past weekend I went to ship an item to another 14'r. I went online to get a shipping quote. Being unable to process the shipping from home, I took it to the nearest Fed Ex Shipping Center and when she completed all the necessary paperwork, the price was about 25% higher than the on-line quote. sheeplove.gif WTF.gif

My buyer (rr914) was very understanding and agreed to pay the difference in the shipping cost even after I quoted the lower price. With that in mind I called Fed-Ex to attempt to have the additional cost refunded and was told that the price quoted on-line has a discount built into it for doing business on-line. That however changes when you take it to a service center as the discount no longer applies. KMA.gif

Just thought everyone who isn't totally familiar with Fed Ex's shipping might want to know this before quoting anyone a shipping cost or deciding to use Fed Ex. I believe the shipping quote for USPS would apply no matter whether you complete the shipping label on line or at their facility, which would have turned out cheaper in the long run.

Thanks again Robert for being so understanding with this debacle. smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
Set up a fed ex acct so you always get a discount.
914itis
Last month, I used my online account and it quoted me $90.09 I printed the label dropped of the package , 1 week later they charge my card $175.00
I kept a print out of the quote , called them and they credit me the difference . You have to watch them .

tomrev
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 29 2016, 09:23 AM) *

Set up a fed ex acct so you always get a discount.

Agree with the above; it's easy, and saves about 30%, and you can even make out a label to yourself, and mail it to someone sending you parts, so you pay the charge at the lesser rate. I had a gearbox shipped to me from Fl. that way, and saved real $$.
Tom_T
Mark - There is still a difference in the discount if you don't do it online with FedEx.

UPS is the same deal.

I've had business accounts with both FedEx & UPS for decades, as well as formerly with DHL & others - they've all gone to using online discount to encourage folks to take care of business themselves, rather than with their staff.

BTW - price both UPS & FedEx on shipments, & note that UPS has a base delivery area where their standard ground rate will be next day delivery, so you can save $$$s by doing just UPS basic Ground within that area. The next ring will be 2 day with no extra $$s.

For example, for me in OC for the 1 & 2 day deliver of basic ground service - it's San Diego to Santa Barbara/Bakersfield with next day basic ground, & Central Coast CA to Phoenix+ for 2 day on basic ground.

BTW - while the Post Office now has package tracking on pretty much everything, & they SAY 1-day, 2-day, etc. - in fact, they guarantee NOTHING on delivery times or dates! dry.gif

Know your shipping radii & costs with any/all shippers, & do it online if you can & especially if you ship a lot.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
All of the above comments are true, especially Tom's.
One thing that "most " folks forget is...if you print label at home all you have to do is drop it off. If you go to one of their service centers, .......who do you think helps pay for the employee to process your package? ?
McMark
.who do you think helps pay for the employee to process your package? ?

agree.gif

Makes perfect sense to me. confused24.gif
blitZ
Many UPS and FedEx stores are franchises. They have to pay their rent.

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 29 2016, 01:21 PM) *

agree.gif

tweet
The Postal Service has discontinued their Click n Ship 10% discount as of January. However, it still beats standing in line just to get a shipping quote or mail the package in person. They also let the carrier pick up the mail for free. I believe UPS and FEDEX charge for pick up service.
mepstein
I drop off at fedex once a day. Usually just fill out the form when I get there. Sometimes have them pack it for me. Sure beats driving it to the customer myself.
era vulgaris
All shippers, not just fedex, cost less when you print out the shipping form online at home vs going to their location. Old news to me, but then I do alot of shipping.
Puebloswatcop
All good things to know, Just unfortunate I didn't know before I tried to ship the package. I just don't ship very much, in fact this was the first thing I shipped to someone on here. Lesson learned.

It does make good business sense, just wish they were more up front about it.

Just glad that Robert was understanding and we were both hopeful Fed Ex would make good on the issue. Guess I will meet Robert in the middle since it was my misunderstanding.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(blitZ @ Feb 29 2016, 11:43 AM) *

Many UPS and FedEx stores are franchises. They have to pay their rent.

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 29 2016, 01:21 PM) *

agree.gif

That is one of the things I was told...had no idea...just thought Fed Ex owned all outlets...now I know....
RR914
Thanks Kevin, 914 members are good honest folks. I am a fairly new member and have had nothing but good experiences. I hope to meet many of you in the future. Any members her do cars and coffe in the Chicago area. Of course after that white stuff melts!
rhodyguy
FedEx OFFICE store vs fedex distribution center.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.