Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bushing Problems?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mathman
Hey all, I got to take my car out for a good drive today, and it reminded me of something that I need to work on. Doesn't it always? Anyway, I've uploaded a video to help describe the problem, but I will explain verbally as well.

As I'm driving down the road, the steering wheel will begin to vibrate intensely. All of a sudden, the vibrating will completely stop. The vibration always comes back within seconds, and it tends to alternate about every 10-15 seconds. It does not seem to be speed dependent. It does not seem to have anything to do with the turn of the wheels. My only two guesses are the steering wheel bushing or something in the suspension bushings. Any suggestions?

The vibration starts around :07, stops at :20, and comes back at :31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAnkiOGYXX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAnkiOGYXX0
Elliot Cannon
Sounds like loose front wheel bearings. I would try adjusting the bearings before anything else. It's relatively easy to do. To check to see if they are loose, jack up a front wheel. Grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and see if you can wiggle the wheel back and forth. If you feel the wheel move, the bearings need adjusted.
McMark
agree.gif
That and wheel/tire balance.
Mathman
I just replaced the front wheel bearings last spring. I'll have the balance checked again, but I did that when I replaced the bearings. If it's balance, how would it get better every few seconds?
r_towle
Check to see if the bearing are right
I had to tighten one side on my 911 4 times till it stayed put
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 1 2016, 02:57 PM) *

agree.gif
That and wheel/tire balance.

agree.gif
Did you toss a wheel weight?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mathman @ Mar 1 2016, 12:27 PM) *

I just replaced the front wheel bearings last spring. I'll have the balance checked again, but I did that when I replaced the bearings. If it's balance, how would it get better every few seconds?

It looks more like a wheel bearing problem than an balance problem. Check the wheel for play after lifting it off the ground. The easiest and cheapest thing to do should always be tried first. Check and adjust the wheel bearings first. IMHO. There should be an adjustment procedure in the Haynes manual if you have one. And you should have one if your going to work on this car yourself. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
stugray
As mentioned above: jack the front up and with your hands at 12 & 6 oclock, try to wiggle the wheel.
With the wheel ON, there should be a barely perceptible amount of "wiggle".

With the wheel off and doing the same experiment with your hands on the rotor, there should be NO perceptible movement.

That is how I verify mine.
With the extra torque available with the wheel on, you should JUST be able to feel the wiggle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.