Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a Member's Car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BSACafe
I saw this car when searching minilite wheels. I think it sets the car off really well with a four bolt narrow body set up.

It looks like the wheels are 16", but want to know if anyone has details on the wheel set up? What offset, tire and rim size?

Click to view attachment
johnpierre
QUOTE(BSACafe @ Mar 1 2016, 07:54 AM) *

I saw this car when searching minilite wheels. I think it sets the car off really well with a four bolt narrow body set up.

It looks like the wheels are 16", but want to know if anyone has details on the wheel set up? What offset, tire and rim size?

Click to view attachment

i would like to know as well, i want to purchase some minilites this summer...
DBCooper
Those are Panasports (or Panasport copies), look to be 16x7 and i don't remember the offset but a good fit on a 914. I sold some to the turbo autocross guy up in Minnesota (can't remember his name, damn, getting old's a bitch).

sfrenck
No affiliation:

VTO 16x7 wheels, 4x130 bolt pattern
sfrenck
And with some tire info (Fuchs w/195/65r15 tires VS VTO with 205/55/r16 tires)

Click to view attachment
raynekat
I've got a set of Minilite Wheels for my 914-4 and they are 15x6.5", so a nice wide wheel with the correct offset for a normal narrow bodied car. These are older wheels and as far as I know are not available from Minilite any more...haven't been for years.

You see these come up on Ebay, The Sambe, P car websites like this, from time-to-time.

I had mine painted and shod with Yoko 205x55 rubber.
If I decide to upgrade my car to 5 bolt, you'll see these for sale on 914 World.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...inilite++wheels
Tom_T
The 914 offset is ET40, & folks have used that style 8-spoke wheels on 914s since the start in`69, but there are about 2-3 or more makers now who make this style wheel, as both Minilite & Panasport & 1-2 other names/brands too - all having subtle differences in spoke size/shape, rim shape, weight, strength, etc.

Back then they were 14" or 15", but now they're available in 16" & 17" but you'll need to get the closest wheel & tire size & diameter using one of the tire size conversion calculators to minimize the speedo/odometer error in order to avoid "phantom mileage" on your car.

Last year or so, Classic Motorsports magazine did a great article on a wide range of repop classic wheels available today - including the VTO which Scott/sfrenk gave the link for above - so go to their website & look it up in their articles archives to read up. ..... very informative!

https://classicmotorsports.com/

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 1 2016, 09:27 AM) *

And with some tire info (Fuchs w/195/65r15 tires VS VTO with 205/55/r16 tires)

Click to view attachment

The correct baseline OE tire with which to compare on any 914 is 165(/80)R15 or 155(/80)R15 & their respective diameters - for speedo/odo errors.

Those diagrams Scott posted above for other sizes may work for fitment in a narrow body 914, but beware that the 195 & up sizes can in some cases still rub on the inner fenders/wheels housings on full lock turns - as is often seen in pix of 914s on here with scrub marks or down to bare metal on the inner wheel wells. It also "assumes" the stock wheel, but best to verify that it is one of the OE 15x4.5 or 15x5.5J 4x130 ET40 wheels before making the assumption.

Bare metal leads to rust, & rust is NOT our friend on vintage Porsches! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mueller
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2016, 09:47 AM) *

The 914 offset is ET40, & folks have used that style 8-spoke wheels on 914s since the start in`69, but there are about 2-3 or more makers now who make this style wheel, as both Minilite & Panasport & 1-2 other names/brands too - all having subtle differences in spoke size/shape, rim shape, weight, strength, etc.

Back then they were 14" or 15", but now they're available in 16" & 17" but you'll need to get the closest wheel & tire size & diameter using one of the tire size conversion calculators to minimize the speedo/odometer error in order to avoid "phantom mileage" on your car.

Last year or so, Classic Motorsports magazine did a great article on a wide range of repop classic wheels available today - including the VTO which Scott/sfrenk gave the link for above - so go to their website & look it up in their articles archives to read up. ..... very informative!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yes, no and maybe smile.gif

Offset changes with the width of the wheel, a 40mm offset 5.5 is going to fit differently than a 40mm offset 7" wide wheel

If one wanted the outside lip to sit exactly the same as the pic below you'd want a 60mm offset 7" wheel.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 1 2016, 09:32 AM) *

I've got a set of Minilite Wheels for my 914-4 and they are 15x6.5", so a nice wide wheel with the correct offset for a normal narrow bodied car. These are older wheels and as far as I know are not available from Minilite any more...haven't been for years.

You see these come up on Ebay, The Sambe, P car websites like this, from time-to-time.

I had mine painted and shod with Yoko 205x55 rubber.
If I decide to upgrade my car to 5 bolt, you'll see these for sale on 914 World.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...inilite++wheels

I think that one of the current mfgrs is making the 15x5, 15x5.5 &/or 15x6 sizes in the 8-spoke style again - although maybe not MiniLite themselves. A buddy got some in 2012-2014 for his vintage racer 914, but I don't recall the make.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 1 2016, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2016, 09:47 AM) *

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yes, no and maybe smile.gif

Offset changes with the width of the wheel, a 40mm offset 5.5 is going to fit differently than a 40mm offset 7" wide wheel

If one wanted the outside lip to sit exactly the same as the pic below you'd want a 60mm offset 7" wheel.

Click to view attachment

Understood - I was giving the OE 15" wheels' offset for the baseline of the suspension calcs. - & clearances will also vary then with the changing offset, wheel/tires sizes & widths - so it's not a simple as the tires stores trying to sell folks on upsized tires would have one think! biggrin.gif

Just glad I'm restoring my 73 2L to factory set-up so I avoid the brain damage at my age! blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
napasteve
When I bought my car, it had these wheels on it:

Click to view attachment

The wheels were made by Performance Wheels (www.performancewheels.au) out of Australia, 16x7 with 35 offset. Tires were 205/55ZR16 Riken Raptor. My car is stock (fenders not pulled) and there was no rubbing but there also wasn't a lot of extra room.

I sold the wheels and tires when I went to 5-lug.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Old friggin' Minilites
Along with Halibrand, THE original "Mag" magnesium wheel.
Millerwelds
16x7 Superlite with 205-55. Rolled the lip of the rear fenders to be safe. Fronts rub at full lock. Only noticeable in parking lots.

Click to view attachment

Close up of wheel on another 914

Click to view attachment
tomrev
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 2 2016, 07:19 AM) *

Old friggin' Minilites
Along with Halibrand, THE original "Mag" magnesium wheel.

My all-time favorite wheels, next to Fuchs. I'd bring them up into the living room, just to gaze at while reading, and my wife would keep taking them back downstairs. For some reason, she didn't love them as much as I did. The 13in. versions I had on an old Supervee weighed about 6 lb. each! (6, and 8 by 13). I also had the 15 by 6.5 in versions on my 914-6 for a season, and sold them to Ludwig Heimrath in Canada, off a Pano add.
Tom_T
Tah-dah!! ..... FS on here today! smile.gif

"FS-(4) American Eagle 8-Spoke Wheels (Photo's), 15" x 5-1/2" wide w/new Powder Coated Silver.":
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=277769

Seller Tom/tjb is an old timer 914er & car guy.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mueller
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 2 2016, 12:15 PM) *

"FS-(4) American Eagle 8-Spoke Wheels (Photo's), 15" x 5-1/2" wide w/new Powder Coated Silver.":

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Not minilites and often wrong offset...those look great but I wouldn't want them even if free.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 2 2016, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 2 2016, 12:15 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Not minilites and often wrong offset...those look great but I wouldn't want them even if free.

VW wheels.
wes
QUOTE(napasteve @ Mar 1 2016, 09:02 PM) *

When I bought my car, it had these wheels on it:

Click to view attachment

The wheels were made by Performance Wheels (www.performancewheels.au) out of Australia, 16x7 with 35 offset. Tires were 205/55ZR16 Riken Raptor. My car is stock (fenders not pulled) and there was no rubbing but there also wasn't a lot of extra room.

I sold the wheels and tires when I went to 5-lug.

Click to view attachment

Hey Nice Wheels, they look great on my Chrome Yellow car!
Mueller
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Mar 2 2016, 11:07 AM) *

16x7 Superlite with 205-55. Rolled the lip of the rear fenders to be safe. Fronts rub at full lock. Only noticeable in parking lots.

Click to view attachment

That looks like the perfect setup with that wheel diameter, tire size and lowering amount...I love it!
napasteve
Wes, we need a picture!

I'm glad they're working for you.
pvollma
For those looking for center caps for Minilites, I've found a source (no affiliation):

Air Cooled Racing

Steve is the president of the Central PA Region of PCA, and an authorized distributor of Minilites. As mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of the racers don't want the center caps, so he has them available. I just picked up a set yesterday, and left them with him to be painted satin black. Here's a picture of my car with the Minilites (6.5 x 15):

Click to view attachment
BSACafe
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Mar 2 2016, 03:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

These look perfect. My 914 is a white 73 and definitely like the look.

Does anyone know if there is a North American distributor for the Superlite wheels, or ordered direct from Australia?

Also, did you have the center painted gunmetal grey, or did it come that way?

Looks incredible!!
Millerwelds
QUOTE(BSACafe @ Mar 6 2016, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Mar 2 2016, 03:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

These look perfect. My 914 is a white 73 and definitely like the look.

Does anyone know if there is a North American distributor for the Superlite wheels, or ordered direct from Australia?

Also, did you have the center painted gunmetal grey, or did it come that way?

Looks incredible!!

I ordered them online but forget where now. They came in the gunmetal grey as an option.
napasteve
FYI When I contacted sales@performancewheels.com.au back in 2013, they quoted me $216 per wheel and $470 to FedEx 4 wheels to the US. I got the quote to learn the approximate value of the wheels.
BSACafe
Someone provided this link earlier. I see VTO performance has them...not sure if these are the ones made in Australia or not. I will contact them to see if they do gunmetal grey on the wheel centers.

http://www.vtowheels.com/Classic-8-Wheel-1...-3mm_p_395.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.