Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multi-Point Belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I want to switch over to 4-point belts, but I'm not quite sure how to set them up. I was hoping some of you guys with 3, 4 and maybe 5-point seatbelt setups could snap a picture or two and post... My biggest question is how do I mount them to the back? Just drill through the firewall? What's a good company to use?

TIA biggrin.gif
Series9
There's a thread on this like once a week....
Series9
last:
Dave_Darling
Mine:

http://members.rennlist.com/damp_dave/belts.html

--DD
Aaron Cox
yarg....

tall people cant run harness bars.....and those are required so you dont have spinal compression in an incident......

how would tall people go about it?
Brando
Remove the window, mount it on the inside of the targa bar? or tube a rod halfway up between the sails inside?

Thanks for the pics 914RS and Dave... I kind of dont like the idea of boring holes through my firewall... But they'd be just big enough for the bolts, i can manage. Then leave the insulation there. And most of all, I don't like the DickBelt™ idea (5th/6th belt between the legs). I'd rather maintain my nuts in the event of a crash. This is something I was looking at doing in the near future for safety. In (local) race events you don't get dinged for safety features like a tube frame rollcage, harnesses, bigger brakes...

aktion035.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 23 2005, 01:31 PM)
And most of all, I don't like the DickBelt™ idea (5th/6th belt between the legs).

The 'dick belt' or 5th point was the single largest improvement I made in my restraint system.

Try one and you'll be sold.
eeyore
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 23 2005, 02:12 PM)
The 'dick belt' or 5th point was the single largest improvement I made in my restraint system.

Try one and you'll be sold.

agree.gif

It is quite aggravating to think you have the lap belts cinched down as tight as possible, only to have them ride up past your navel as the shoulder straps are tighted.
Elliot_Cannon
I have a 5 point in mine, with a harness bar. Next time we meet at Super Mex or where ever you can take a look at mine. The crotch belt is only way the harness can be used properly. Otherwise if you are slammed forward the lap belt will end up around your neck somewhere. Regardless of where you mount the harness, it shouldn't be more than 5 degrees below parallel from your shoulder to where it mounts. In any case it is a great investment. Inertia reels suck!
Cheers, Elliot
Brando
So the 5th point isn't to keep the jewels in place... Just to keep the restraint from choking you. I see.

Now to find a set for $affordable$, because I'm a cheap bastard.
grantsfo
user posted image
Series9
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 23 2005, 05:51 PM)
Now to find a set for $affordable$, because I'm a cheap bastard.

Cheap bastards dot com:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/inde...php?cPath=21_71
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 23 2005, 12:31 PM)
Thanks for the pics 914RS and Dave... I kind of dont like the idea of boring holes through my firewall... But they'd be just big enough for the bolts, i can manage. Then leave the insulation there. And most of all, I don't like the DickBelt™ idea (5th/6th belt between the legs). I'd rather maintain my nuts in the event of a crash.

One of the priorities for my setup was that no holes had to be drilled. (My fire extinguisher mount, too!) I used the stock factory-supplied mounting holes for all of the belts. The shoulder belts are attached to the harness bar, and the lap belts and sub straps (AKA DickBelts) are attached to eyebolts in the factory lap-belt holes. I also kept the stock three-point belts for street use.

Note that some sanctioning bodies do not allow you to attach the shoulder belts to the harness bar. And more of them do not allow you to attach two belts to the same chassis attachment point.

As for the DickBelt problem, I'd rather have the belts stay in place across my hips in a wreck than have the lap belt ride up into my abdomen. Ruptured internal organs have got to be even less fun than squished testicles... Not to mention potentially fatal.

--DD
gregrobbins
www.jegs.com had 5 point belt system from G-Force on sale for $59
jgiroux67
Ive got red simpson racing 5 point harnesses that I probably am going to sell. Let me know if you want them.

I still cant decide wether I'm gonna recover my stock seats and back pad or if I'll get after market bucket seats. So If I'm staying with the stock seats I'm gonna try to go back to a stock belt set up.
Brando
jgiroux67, are they really red, or are they called 'red simpson racing' belts? I'm going for the black & gray color scheme inside... But if they're usable, I can pass them along after I can afford a color I want smile.gif
jgiroux67
They are simpson belts in the color of red. They werent used much at all. I have 2 sets.
Brando
PM'T-ZORED.
Definitely heed Daves warning about not attaching the harnesses directly to the harness GUIDE bar. You must attach it to a hardened point such as the firewall with thick spacers on both sides. Also, if you plan on tracking it, most clubs require 5 or 6 point for all the organ-rearranging reasons provided by our sagacious membership. Would strongly recomend the H style that provides an additional strap between the shoulder straps to keep them in place if you are running with stock seats. The stock seats are not designed to work with harnesses and IHMO are clearly a dangerous combination.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.