Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixing a hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Maybe I missed it, but is there a specific reason why some folks have removed the "marker" lights from their front fenders? Is it strictly a esthetic (looks Nice) thing? I do agree the car looks better without them, however when they are removed does this affect the cars value?

Thank you! welder.gif
tomrev
QUOTE(gunn1 @ Mar 1 2016, 04:30 PM) *

Maybe I missed it, but is there a specific reason why some folks have removed the "marker" lights from their front fenders? Is it strictly a esthetic (looks Nice) thing? I do agree the car looks better without them, however when they are removed does this affect the cars value?

Thank you! welder.gif

The first thing I do, I hate the warts, and think the smooth, clean fender line is a big improvement. Even if the future value is put off by it. Unless you are restoring a valuable six, or really nice four, do as you wish, it's your ride!
Larmo63
I'm not a big fan of the side markers, but the light they put out may save your life.

These cars are small already, and that extra light is there for a safety purpose.
screenguy914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 1 2016, 05:03 PM) *

I'm not a big fan of the side markers, but the light they put out may save your life.

These cars are small already, and that extra light is there for a safety purpose.

That's what the feds mandated, thus their existence, but it's not as though front/rear lights aren't visible from the side.

Buyers looking for a car as offered by the factory might pass on it. Same with the concours crowd. However, if the car is clean (and the number of those dwindles daily), I think you'll be okay. At any rate, it shouldn't be a big issue to reinstall the side markers.

MHO,
Sherwood
JimN73
If you want the lights, there are better looking options. VWs from the early 2000s had small lights that looked OK.

Look around (a day trip to Pick N Pull?) and you might find something else that is small and unobtrusive, but still works.

I think Mike Bellis looked at some options a few years ago.
Jason74914
I also think they are ugly, but all American cars have to have reflectors and lights visible from the side. So these were "slapped" on to meet the requirements. The only reason I would think you'd have a problem is if you had a super-knowledgeable person doing your inspection sticker noticing them gone.
As some else said, you can alway add them back later, fairly easily.

FWIW, this trend continues even today....an afterthought addition of ugly side reflectors to meet US regs. See my MCoupe. Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
Surprised this hasn't be said, but European 914's didn't have warts, so that's the reason many wont care value wise.

Personally I'm still wishing someone would step up and make a low profile, direct wart replacement that looks somewhat correct.
A couple years from now I'll be out of the market, no wart solution when I paint my car and I'll fill the holes.

A nice wart solution I would pay good coin for.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Jason74914 @ Mar 2 2016, 09:01 AM) *

I also think they are ugly, but all American cars have to have reflectors and lights visible from the side. So these were "slapped" on to meet the requirements. The only reason I would think you'd have a problem is if you had a super-knowledgeable person doing your inspection sticker noticing them gone.

FWIW, this trend continues even today....an afterthought addition of ugly side reflectors to meet US regs. See my MCoupe. Click to view attachment

I think the dimple on the side with the BMW emblem looks much worse than the side marker lights on this one. At least the lights have a purpose.

JMHO.
Jason74914
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Mar 2 2016, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Jason74914 @ Mar 2 2016, 09:01 AM) *

I think the dimple on the side with the BMW emblem looks much worse than the side marker lights on this one. At least the lights have a purpose.

JMHO.

Thank Bangle design for that....The side turn signal light is actually under the emblem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.