Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Junk yards suck!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
CptTripps
I called a local junk yard too see if they had any 914s. He said they ahd two, and I could come take a look if I wanted to, but they were pretty much parted out, and about to be crushed.

They had THE MOST destroyed 74 I's ever seen. BUT...the dash was REAL nice. It also had a nice rear-passenger lens that I wanted. So I get to the counter and inquire about those two pieces, as well as the phone-dial rims on the 944 next to it.

$125ea for the rims (Ouch!)

$125 for the rear light! (Pain!)

$250 for the dash! (WTF?!?!?!?)

Here's the kicker...THEY had to take the parts out. I wasn't allowed to touch the car with a wrench!

So then I asked about the other 914 they said they had, he said they crushed it last week.

Me: So you tell me this car is worthless, but it has $500 worth of parts in it?

Him: Yeah.

Me: And you are going to crush it next week?

Me: I'll give you $400 for anything I need off the car, and you can crush it later. (Had some good glass on it, and a pretty decent pedal cluster)

Him: No way...that car is worth $1,500 easy.

Me: But you said you were going to cruch it next week.

I just walked out...people are idiots.
Root_Werks
They are not a Porsche yard. They think of 914's as VW's, not Porsches. There is really only one yard up here that knows the cars. They will part one out until there is just nothing left, I mean nothing left. These guys sound like bumb-ass ape thinking idiots to me.

You know the term "Think outside the box"? Well, this is it. This guy has crammed what little brain he can muster up into a shoe box and taped it shut. No room for growth. screwy.gif
Rusty
Didja get the VINs? unsure.gif
CptTripps
There was only one there, I didn't have anything to write it down on. I was thinking as I left "Damn...now I'll never get the vin off of that thing."

I hear him say he was off on Friday, so maybe I'll go in and try to talk to the other guy, he even rolled his eyes at the prices he was spewing.
MarkG
"... just walked out...people are idiots. "

Yup, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing he has reached the pinnacle of his career....working a junkyard counter is as good as its gonna get for him!
CptTripps
QUOTE (MarkG @ Mar 23 2005, 12:23 PM)
"... just walked out...people are idiots. "

Yup, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing he has reached the pinnacle of his career....working a junkyard counter is as good as its gonna get for him!

That's what I was thinking as I was pulling out of there...I started laughing.

I'm getting into a $40K Saab, and driving away drinking Perrier, and he's stuck there doing 'Inventory' till 10:00 at a junk yard.

I just emailed them and thought I'd take a second shot at the dash top. For sitting inthe open air for so long, it had NO cracks...maybe the 2" of dust was protecting it?

O-Well...
greg.treadway
Speaking of 914 junkyards...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
tat2dphreak
LOL, $1500 in parts, my ass!!

talk to the guy on friday or call the manager... the clerk guys don't know shit at junk yards...

greg, you need to clean your driveway... wink.gif

rhodyguy
sounds like you weren't talking to the "boss". i'd call the place and ask to speak to the "boss". some mope behind the desk couldn't be bothered. is the weather a little cold right now?

k
CptTripps
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2005, 12:50 PM)
sounds like you weren't talking to the "boss". i'd call the place and ask to speak to the "boss". some mope behind the desk couldn't be bothered. is the weather a little cold right now?

k

Well, he's not the boss, but he's the guy that answers the emails for the yard. I just sent him this...we'll see what happens.

---------

Thanks for letting me take a look at the 914 you had left out there...

When I asked about the dash, were you quoting me $250 the WHOLE THING? Guages, heater controls, steering column? Reason I ask is that I can get a new dash top for about $75. I'd rather buy from you because it's close but I can't justify $250 for that part. I just need the top pieces, and I'd be happy to come take them of my self. (I can do it in about 45min, and I'd hazard a guess that it'd take your guys the better part of 2hrs to get it off right.)

The yards I went to in Columbus had 'all you can carry' type deals...Anything like that at your place? I'd be willing to pay $250 to have a few hours at that car before you crush it like the other one...

Let me know..

-Doug

---------
Root_Werks
ohmy.gif Greg, man those are some sorry looking teeners! Ouch! Is that a current state of being for these cars or an older shot of what once was?
TJB/914
Greg,

Thanks for the Junk Yard photo's. Twenty years from now we will say I wish I had one of those now.

Tom
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 23 2005, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2005, 12:50 PM)

k

Well, he's not the boss, but he's the guy that answers the emails for the yard. I just sent him this...we'll see what happens.

---------

Thanks for letting me take a look at the 914 you had left out there...

When I asked about the dash, were you quoting me $250 the WHOLE THING? Guages, heater controls, steering column? Reason I ask is that I can get a new dash top for about $75. I'd rather buy from you because it's close but I can't justify $250 for that part. I just need the top pieces, and I'd be happy to come take them of my self. (I can do it in about 45min, and I'd hazard a guess that it'd take your guys the better part of 2hrs to get it off right.)

The yards I went to in Columbus had 'all you can carry' type deals...Anything like that at your place? I'd be willing to pay $250 to have a few hours at that car before you crush it like the other one...

Let me know..

-Doug

---------

Where in Columbus did you find a teener in a boneyard? I have been to them all and have never run up on one.
greg.treadway
I am sorry to say that picture is from today! I have 200 more up the street!!
Root_Werks
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Mar 23 2005, 12:35 PM)
I am sorry to say that picture is from today! I have 200 more up the street!!

Wow, even though I know the cars are toast, seems like they should still be under cover. sad.gif Got a couple of extra airline hangers your not using? laugh.gif
greg.treadway
Here's up the street. I wish I had a couple of hangers to put all these beauties.

user posted image

There are just too many to cover.

Here's a great 1973 with fiberglass flares. Someone should save it.
user posted image

Here's a terriffic 1972 with original steel wheels and hubcaps that needs saving:
user posted image
SirAndy
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Mar 23 2005, 01:44 PM)
Here's a terriffic 1972 with original steel wheels and hubcaps that needs saving:

surface rust doesn't scare me ...

if only i had some space. sad.gif

the yard at HPH looks similar.

an old aircraft hangar would be the way to go, anyone got a spare one for rent?
idea.gif Andy
CptTripps
As much as I love 914s, I feel for the guy living in the house next to that yard.
spare time toys
whats up with the sunroof in that last photo. It would be easier to pop the top than screw with one of those.
Rand
Screw with it? I seriously doubt it moves. I think the point is to let light in withOUT popping the top.
screwy.gif ...but I like it.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 23 2005, 02:38 PM)
As much as I love 914s, I feel for the guy living in the house next to that yard.

chairfall.gif Good one! I didn't notice that! laugh.gif
CptTripps
WOT: Does someone make a plexiglass top? Smoked glass maybe?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 23 2005, 04:10 PM)
WOT: Does someone make a plexiglass top? Smoked glass maybe?

saratoga top....

do a search.....
Joe Bob
Yepz, Saratoga, they leak, they cook you on a hot day, they leak, scratch and they leak....all for $800+USD...plus they leak....
Rand
Recent thread about Saratoga top

user posted image
TJB/914
Look up & see the light.

Tom
BTW
I have one & like it on a cool summer night. Night time driving only.
Jenny
agree.gif sunroofs/moonroofs are cool only for letting in a gentle breeze when they're tilted upwards, or at night. Seeing the moon and stars is nice, but buzzing thru a tunnel at 75mph and seeing the marker lights above you whiz by is bitchin' aktion035.gif

Jen
GWN7
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 23 2005, 01:50 PM)

if only i had some space. sad.gif

the yard at HPH looks similar.

an old aircraft hangar would be the way to go, anyone got a spare one for rent?
idea.gif Andy

Free storage for all 914's at my place (160 acres, closest neibour is 1/2 mile away).

You pay the freight.

Even comes with 100 lbs. German Shepard security services.

wink.gif beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Here's what he wrote back...
-----------------
Hi Doug,

The $250 is for the complete dash, with the gagues in it. If you just need the top pad we can sell that to you for $75. We have to pull the part off due to insurance liability. Let me know.

We do have two 914s here. A blue one and an orange one. If you didn't see the orange one I know where it's at and can show it to you when you stop in again.

Thanks,

Mike
-----------------

I replied that I'd be in to look at them again, and that I'd take the dash top for $75. (Score! It's mint!)

I'll be sure to get the vins this time for the archives. I'll even take some pics if there is anything else anyone needs off of them.

black73
In a few years they will all look like this
CptTripps
Ok...time for an update. I went back to the yard in question this morning to take a look at the other 914 they had, and also see if I can talk him down to earth on that dash...I'm glad I went.

I took my old dash in and showed him what I needed off the other car. He quoted me $70, but they'd have to take it off. I asked if I could go out WITH the guy to help him locate all the bolts. He said "no problem". Off I went with 'Tiny' to they yard to pull the dash. I learned that Tiny's REAL name is also Doug. After that, it was smooth sailing. wink.gif

After I showed him what I needed, he agreed to be my tool bitch and let me yank it. (I didn't use those words, but I can here.) After 20min of work, I got my dash...and a few other little ods and ends that I needed out of the car. Peanut also informed me...

Tiny: "If youze needin anythin else offa thea, let me know...heas my numba."

Me: "Like how much for those tail lights?"

Tiny: "Oooohhh....like fiddy for the bof of them"

Me: "How about $35"

Tiny: "Sheeet. That works too. (big smile) Call me on Sundee and we'll hook up aroun hea"

Me: "Word....(sticking out my fist)"

Tiny: "Awwe sheeet...you my dawg (hits my fist)"

So now I head BACK to the counter with my dash, the dash bottom, and a tire-iron, and the rear-view from a BMW....$110 later, I'm out the door. Here's the pics of the dash...and a few other pics that you all may want to see.

Before cleaning...
user posted image

And after about 2min with some soap and water...

user posted image

Not a SINGLE crack ANYWHERE!!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Here's the bottom dash...equally as pristine!

user posted image
CptTripps
Here are some pics of other interesting things I found...

VIN: 4742907550 - Orange car.

Hood and glass are nice...
user posted image

...but the rest of it is hosed!
user posted image

...as well as the engine bay. (I don't know them well enough yet to know what engine this is.)
user posted image

...the dash is WAY original! (Radio, all guages...dash it very clean too.)
user posted image

...And what's that green knob??? You guessed it...defrost. (He wants $100 for the rear window.)
user posted image
CptTripps
And here is the blue car I got my stuff off of. the carpet is the only thing connecting the front and rear halves of the car together.

Vin: 4742907550
user posted image

user posted image

Not much of anything left on this one...I got the dash already. (You can see ont of the tail lights that I'll be getting from 'Tiny' on the floor here.)

I think the ironic part is that the vins are only 16 numbers away from each other. And they both end up at the same junk yard...31 years later...35ft from eachother.
Root_Werks
Sad, but cool! Thanks for posting pics Doug! At least some of the parts will be saved before they go off into the crusher! ohmy.gif

16 numbers appart, freaky. unsure.gif
SteveL
Taking orders for other items off the car????? My horn is hosed up and I want to get a new horn ring with the correct little parts on the back for hooking up the horn. We don't have any 914s in junk yards here in Minnesota. They all dissolved many moons ago.

Steve
Steve Thacker
I'm still in shock that you found a 914 in a Ohio junkyard. Tits! aktion035.gif
Lucky find on that dash. I would have given my left nad for it.
tat2dphreak
looks like 2 good dashes in the same junk yard?! what's up with that? is there NO sun up there?

very nice score!!
jim912928
The ORANGE one is a 1.8l....you can see the ljet FI. If it has been protected..that MAF is an expensive part! Also guessing it's a 75 because it has the late model oil temp gauge (small red zone).
CptTripps
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Mar 25 2005, 03:49 PM)
I'm still in shock that you found a 914 in a Ohio junkyard. Tits! aktion035.gif
Lucky find on that dash. I would have given my left nad for it.

Yeah, I started thinking about it... I was going to pay $75 for the dash-topper. Why not get the WHOLE DASH for that.

Anyone want the other one? They thought it was nicer, so they wanted $100 for it. I'd be happy to yank it and ship it to someone...

Anyone need the radio out of that orange car? $35!
CptTripps
Both were 74s. The blue one had a sticker that said "11/73" as the 'born' date. And since they are only 16 vins apart, I'd assume that's probably correct.

Another thing I found interesting and forgot to mention. The blue car, when I took the dash out, had orange under it. This could suggest that they were both orange at one point. the paint badge was rusted out, so there is no telling...
TheCabinetmaker
I've seen lots of cars with different color dashes. Doesn't mean it was repainted.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 25 2005, 04:51 PM)
I've seen lots of cars with different color dashes. Doesn't mean it was repainted.

agree.gif

yep, mine's green under the dash, but the original color was signal orange...
brant
If your going back I would be interested in that orange car shift knob.

I know that ebay is getting stupid crazy prices for those..
but I don't want to sell it I want to use it.

mine had a cracked out piece (which I glued back in) on the bottom half inch.

brant
CptTripps
They are closed on the weekends, but I'll call my 'guy' and see what he can do. wink.gif

After a day of rubbing leather conditioner on the dash, it looks brand new!
ChrisFix
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 25 2005, 01:17 PM)
[/QUOTE]

Anyone need the radio out of that orange car? $35!

If the radio had FM and looks like the face is clean (or will clean up) then I'd like to get the radio.

Thanks and just let me know.
rsvp9146
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Mar 23 2005, 09:31 AM)

The key word being JUNK here....

redshift
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Mar 23 2005, 01:31 PM)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Tell George nice job with the new showroom!

laugh.gif

wink.gif

M
rhodyguy
you should have just asked them how much for the whole car.

k
jgiroux67
How much did they want for the center console with guages?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.