Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
Hi all, I'm doing body work for my LS conversion. I have been searching for a bumper that looks good but also will flow proper air to the radiator. I'm not 100% sold on the looks of the 916GT bumper, but I know that by using one, I'll have plenty of air flow.
If I do choose this bumper, I'm not sure to fill in all the gaps or leave it as a bolt on bumper. I have seen a few pictures with this bumper as a bolt on configuration but not many pictures with no body gaps. Has anyone done this conversion and happen to have pictures of the gaps bondo'ed smooth?
URY914
You'll have cracks if you bondo or 'glass the bumper to the fenders.
Bruce Hinds
I too never cared for the looks of the 916 bumpers. I like the 914-6 GT look if I were going to back date.

You can go with which ever bumpers you like, and you don't need a large inlet. The area of the outlet has to be larger than the inlet to put negative pressure on the back side and well shrouded to prevent air from doing a reverse flow in areas not covered by the fan.

If you like the 914 GT look, that can even be enlarged a bit. Renegade also makes an air dam with an inlet that you could purchase or copy and cut a glass front bumper to fit.

I've seen cars that have removed nearly all the area between the bumperetts and I don't think that's necessary.

Lots of good photos on the net. Good luck.
BIGKAT_83
I used a 914-GT lower valance and cut a bumper to match the opening on my LS/conversion. I also used the LS ecu to control the fans with the stock 2 speed functions. I don't think the fans have ever run at the higher speed.
Here's a picture of the air opening on the body before the bumper was installed.
Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
BIGKAT_83 - your car looks beautiful.
timothy_nd28
agree.gif
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 2 2016, 04:58 AM) *

I used a 914-GT lower valance and cut a bumper to match the opening on my LS/conversion. I also used the LS ecu to control the fans with the stock 2 speed functions. I don't think the fans have ever run at the higher speed.
Here's a picture of the air opening on the body before the bumper was installed.
Click to view attachment

beer3.gif

..................Beautiful. Build thread?

idea.gif
Andyrew
I eliminated the rear gaps in the 916 bumper but have not done the front 100% yet. I prefer a bolt on bumper.
IPB Image

I believe SirAndy has his molded in.

If you dont like the 916 bumper you can go with the GT fiberglass bumper with the cutout and the same lower valance, then just make the cutout larger on the top for the radiator.
whitetwinturbo
Orange is the new Orange..... stirthepot.gif
Chris914n6
AIR and some of the others have bumper and spoiler options beyond GT and 916. I've been looking for something to replace my cut out LE spoiler.
jcd914
You could go the route Rob did for his GT look.
Well, Really Mark did it and then told Rob about it.

Rob's Front Bumper

Jim
tomrev
This front end has been used with 283, 383, and LS Chevy's, all of which stayed at 180 pretty easily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.