Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch WR 1 Hot start relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
Any suggestions on optimum/easy placement of this relay?
tomrev
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Mar 2 2016, 11:59 AM) *

Any suggestions on optimum/easy placement of this relay?

I mount the starter relay to the lower trunk/engine bay firewall, within a few inches of the starter. A short path for the main 12V in, from starter lug, and back to solenoid.
Mark Henry
In the trash can smile.gif
jcd914
I have installed dozens of these and don't know of single failure.
I often zip tie them to the starter solenoid.

Jim
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 2 2016, 03:12 PM) *

I have installed dozens of these and don't know of single failure.
I often zip tie them to the starter solenoid.

Jim

That's because you live in California. smile.gif

I seen a few fail, I have a brand new one here that failed, I'll see if it works for a horn.
jcd914
Yes I am in California smile.gif
And one of the reasons is the weather smile.gif

Jim
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 2 2016, 03:25 PM) *

Yes I am in California smile.gif
And one of the reasons is the weather smile.gif

Jim

Yep it's winter here....I think I'll water the lawn just for fun. bootyshake.gif

Thinking about building something like this in the backyard this summer, I have lots of water and it's free biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Mark Henry
....But that water kills bosch relays wink.gif
SLITS
I use Ford. Haven't had to Fix Or Repair Daily.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 2 2016, 03:55 PM) *

I use Ford. Haven't had to Fix Or Repair Daily.

Can you imagine how badly people be losing their shit if it was a Fiat relay?
screenguy914
The engine compartment is usually protected from the elements, moreso than under the chassis.

That said, remove and route the existing control wire (Yellow - from ign. switch) at the starter solenoid up to your relay in the engine compartment.

For a new source wire to energize the starter solenoid, find (a) an ign.-activated 12V circuit in eng. fuse panel to tap into for the power circuit. Route this new power wire from relay to the existing starter solenoid. Or (b). The battery cable at the starter solenoid is also a handy source for 12V. If used, install an easy-to-access inline fuse since it's always "hot".

Here's a diagram from which you can revise for your circuit. I designed it to use a remote momentary switch to crank the engine (saving the NLA 911 ign. switch) and to provide full battery voltage to energize the starter solenoid. Click to view attachment
As described above (b), this circuit uses the existing battery cable to source 12 volt power for the new relay.
Click to view attachment

Sherwood
GregAmy
Engine compartment, someplace where you can get to it easily. I have the one in my street car mounted underneath near the starter; late last year I had a no-start that ended up being a blown fuse. Of course, I was in nice work clothes so I had to bump-start it.

The one in the race car got moved to the engine compartment, and I'll be moving the street car one come nice weather.

IPB Image
aircooledtechguy
I've installed literally dozens of these and never had one fail. If you mount them under the car, you run that risk. I mount them in the engine compartment and run the wires through a firewall grommet. Takes longer, but they last and work great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.