Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foggy Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Rookie
My gauges get progressivley foggy when I drive huh.gif . They are never clear but seem to fog worse when the heater is on. Is there a way to pull the lense from the gauges without damaging them?. Anyone else have his problem ?. Thanks

Greg
Marlow
Not an easy job but it is possible. Removing the trim rings is time consuming and can be done with very little damage if careful. Basically you use a small knife or screwdriver to bend the lip of the trim rings outward until they can be popped off the gauge.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. Someone may have pictures of this procedure.
Aaron Cox
uncrimp the housing.....its a PITA to do without damage
CptTripps
Might be easier to just replace them. You can get a decent set of used guages for under $100...
Marlow
Part of this Pelican article might help . . . it has some photos of removing the trim rings.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm
machina
WAIT

On my 911, used to have that problem.

Drill a small hole, maybe 3/8" in the back of the gauge case. That will equalize the humidity inside and outside of the gauge. No more fog.
914Rookie
Some good suggestions clap.gif ... I think I'll try pulling them and seeing if I can't get them open around the trim ring without screwing them up. Then after cleaning the lense I like the idea of equalizing the humidity ( but 3/8" seems like a big hole for the back of the gauge? ). Thanks for the input.

Greg
mharrison
They are never clear but seem to fog worse when the heater is on.

You have a HEATER???? laugh.gif laugh.gif
machina
QUOTE (914Rookie @ Mar 23 2005, 02:01 PM)
and seeing if I can't get them open around the trim ring without screwing them up

forget it, I butched mine. It's a real bitch.
Type 4
Take them out and put them in the oven. I warm the oven up at the lowest setting 200 degress.
Turn it off wait about 15 minutes then set them in face down on the rack and leave over night.
double-a
agree.gif
remove any bulbs from the back first. the gauges aren't completely airtight, and a good bit of heat will drive the moisture out.

~a
SirAndy
QUOTE (914Rookie @ Mar 23 2005, 09:40 AM)
Anyone else have his problem ?

get the standing water out of your car!

probably behind the seats or maybe your fresh air box drain is clogged ...

once the inside of the car is dried out, the foggy gauges will clear up!

cool.gif Andy
914Rookie
I'll try the oven thing ( I hear the gauges taste like chicken !) to dry them out but my car always has the top off ( So Cal ) and is garaged 100% of the time so I don't think there is any moisture sitting in the interior. I'll refrain from pulling the lenses for now.It may be an open heater duct getting air behind the dash?. Thanks again for all the help. Any more suggestions?...these have been really good.
markb
Being a 75, would those gauges have the plastic lenses? Would the oven damage the plastic?
double-a
good point, but it's hard to tell what years used what materials for the gauge faces. our 75 has all plastic faces, the 74 has one plastic face. confused24.gif

~a
914Rookie
Yup... I think they are plastic. I'll give them a good look'n at tonight when I get home and see what can be done. Thanks.

Greg
ChrisFix
QUOTE (914Rookie @ Mar 23 2005, 09:40 AM)
My gauges get progressivley foggy when I drive huh.gif . They are never clear but seem to fog worse when the heater is on. Is there a way to pull the lense from the gauges without damaging them?. Anyone else have his problem ?. Thanks

Greg

My '74 does the exact same thing...the gauges fog a little as they warm up from the heat of the bulb. I have found that if I just leave the lights on long enough, that seems to dry them out. Don't know why it's there either; my car is always garaged and is perfectly dry, so it must just be humidity from sitting. The idea of putting a small breathing hole in the back sounds like a good one. I'm going to look into that this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.