Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thicker padding on steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I'm getting ready to restore my stock leather wrapped steering wheel on my '72 Green Dream 914. I already have the new leather kit and the correct black satin paint for the spokes. Has anyone tried thickening the padding? I think it can be done. I've thought about possibly black cloth sticky backed bicycle handle bar tape or maybe black Plasti-dip spay. Have any of you successfully thickened the padding a bit?
mepstein
Use felt
Tom_T
Most of the pro shops like DSW etc. just either use double leather wrap, or more commonly a black felt layer under the outer leather. Just go to a local fabric store or raid your wife's sewing supplies for the felt, but make sure that you have enough leather to wrap it a tad wider than the stock 1-layer if pre-cut.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
Most do not use double leather wrap. Dallas custom steering wheel defiantly does not.
PanelBilly
I had DSW do a double wrap for me years ago. I striped off the old leather and painted the spokes so it would look right. When they received the wheel, I got a call telling me the extra wrap would now cost more as they had just planed to go over the old layer. The wheel came back looking good.
burningman
I'm thinking about doing this actually, does anyone have a pic of padded vs non padded side by side?
jrblackbox
Post some before and after pics when done, where did you get the kit? TIA
bandjoey
And some in between pics of you making it happen too
lonewolfe
I bought the leather kit off Ebay about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it's an Agla kit but I can't find the Ebay listing now.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2016, 12:03 PM) *

Most do not use double leather wrap. Dallas custom steering wheel defiantly does not.

My wheel is double wrapped ie,new leather over old stuff ,grip is much improved and then I find out I can't get my long lengs behind it ,sucks cause I did the hockey punk horn button job.
Quess what? now I need to find a smaller Momo,first world problem but it sucks.

Click to view attachment
sfrenck
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Mar 2 2016, 05:49 PM) *

I'm getting ready to restore my stock leather wrapped steering wheel on my '72 Green Dream 914. I already have the new leather kit and the correct black satin paint for the spokes. Has anyone tried thickening the padding? I think it can be done. I've thought about possibly black cloth sticky backed bicycle handle bar tape or maybe black Plasti-dip spay. Have any of you successfully thickened the padding a bit?

As I'm 2/3rds done sewing mine - there is no way extra padding can be used with a kit unless the kit was meant to have the padding.

See this thread (get it... thread av-943.gif )

Leather steering wheel cover
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 3 2016, 03:35 AM) *

My wheel is double wrapped ie,new leather over old stuff ,grip is much improved and then I find out I can't get my long lengs behind it ,sucks cause I did the hockey punk horn button job.

Click to view attachment

Top on
Sit on the long just a bit onto the bolster , fold your legs in, then scoot your butt over onto the seat.

Top off
Do the spread Eagle, right leg over the steering wheel and plop down.

Trick is remembering to do it the same way each time and try not to kick the fuse block cover. smile.gif
McMark
ConeDodger has a fatty wheel. wink.gif I like the feeling.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 3 2016, 12:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I'll trade you my small Dino wheel and hub straight up for your wheel and hub (pardon the old picture cropped to show wheel) happy11.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.