Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ...switching to Euro specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ollijg73
I just shipped my 914 to Germany and am changing the light lenses in order to pass the TUV inspection before registering. Anyone got any experience doing this?...what else needs to be done?

Thanks for any advice, Ollie. (Hi Steve!)
Cap'n Krusty
It's not just the lenses, it's the whole front and rear turn signal/running light assemblies. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 23 2005, 11:04 AM)
It's not just the lenses, it's the whole front and rear turn signal/running light assemblies. The Cap'n

actually, in the rear you can get away with just the lenses, in the front you'll need euro buckets and lenses.

tell us more about the car!

you'll have a hard time getting it registered if you did any obvious changes, like 5-lug conversion, flares and wider tires, big brakes or any engine other than the original ...
make sure your tire/wheel combo is within the original size range.
if you have aftermarket wheels you'll need to supply a TÜV certificate for those.

pretty much the same with anything non-stock on the car, no-go unless you have a separate TÜV certificate for that part ...

you might want to get in touch with any of the german 914 clubs and ask around.
quite a few people have imported 914s from the US ...

beerchug.gif Andy
Gustl
o.k. - I'm not from Germany but Austria
I follow many German pages and eMail lists, so I can tell you, it's not that difficult as it sounds from Andy's words
German TÜV accepts 5-lugs, flares, wider tires, other engines, bigger brakes, and and and
Andy's words would fit more to Austrian TÜV wink.gif

Olli, my suggestions: Porsche Fan Forum, Mailing Liste bei Mid-Engine-World

Mueller
Hi Ollei,

Congrats on buying that car...post some pictures of it....a few people will recognize it smile.gif

I'm still trying to find that paperwork for you, I'm sure it's still around someplace headbang.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Mar 23 2005, 11:37 AM)
German TÜV accepts

i didn't say it can't be done. rolleyes.gif

but you *will* need a separate TÜV certificate (TÜV Gutachten) for anything non-stock on the car.
if you have flares and they're metal it'll be easier, if they're fiberglass, you'll need a TÜV certificate from the manufacturer or a material certificate (Material Gutachten) at the least ...
same goes for spoilers and aftermarket bumpers etc ...

i have done it many times in the past, it's not that difficult, you just need to have your paperwork in order when you show up there ...

cool.gif Andy
Mueller
they are 'glass flares...you've seen and possibly worked on the car Andy smash.gif
jd74914
Mike, post a pic cool.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 23 2005, 12:07 PM)
they are 'glass flares...you've seen and possibly worked on the car Andy smash.gif

huh? idea.gif is it your old original /6?

if so, that's a nice car! plus, it should make it easier with the TÜV!
just show them the pic below, it lists all the factory options for the 914-6, including the flares and bigger wheels/tires.
that should be enough for the guys at the TÜV ...

cool.gif Andy

Mueller
huh?  is it your old original /6?

yep.....in fact I finally went to the DMV a few weeks ago to turn in the Release of Liability...I figured I better do something when they started to attach my wages for not registering a car I no longer owned headbang.gif
Jeroen
Ollie, how hard was it to ship the car?
Did you take care of that yourself or did the seller
And how much did it cost you?

Check the links Gustl provided
I'm sure there are people there who can get you some TüV papers for the fiberglass flares
sj914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 23 2005, 11:04 AM)

What the difference between the euro tailight assembly and the USA assembly besides the lenses.
SirAndy
QUOTE (sj914 @ Mar 23 2005, 05:56 PM)
What the difference between the euro tailight assembly and the USA assembly besides the lenses.

the build in "sidemarkers" or "runninglights" or whatever you guys call them ...

the tiny bulb on the outside ...

wink.gif Andy
mikey
the build in "sidemarkers" or "runninglights" or whatever you guys call them ...

the tiny bulb on the outside ...

Andy, is it the Euro or the US lenses that have these little outside bulbs? My left lens has this bulb and a plastic "diffuser" outboard of the bulb. The right one doesn't have the diffuser thing but does have the socket.

I seem to remember in Germany seeing cars parked by the side of the street with a dim light on the left side and not the right side. Is that what these little bulbs are for?

Gustl
in this pic you see the Euro housing/lens

you can clearly see the two seperate setcions with the border between (upper part for the amber turn light, lower part for the white/clear driving light)

the US housing has no border and therefore an all-amber-lense

mikey
the US housing has no border and therefore an all-amber-lense

Thanks! But I was curious about the rear lights. My left rear light is slightly different from the right one.

Gustl
uuuups ... I should have read it more exactely ... rolleyes.gif

the US rear lights have the little outside bulbs - as far as I know they're for the permanent amber light to the side, which is forbidden in Europe (at least in Germany and Austria)
LvSteveH
Hi Ollie,
I hope you don't mind, but I'll post a pic for you. I miss that car more each day, but my shop should start being framed soon, so all's well that ends well.

biggrin.gif
Jeroen
Ollie, I saw your car 2 years ago
I'm sure you're gonna have a lot of fun with it
You're a smart man for getting a 914 from the US
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikey @ Mar 23 2005, 07:38 PM)
My left lens has this bulb and a plastic "diffuser" outboard of the bulb. The right one doesn't have the diffuser thing but does have the socket.

I seem to remember in Germany seeing cars parked by the side of the street with a dim light on the left side and not the right side. Is that what these little bulbs are for?

US spec has the additional bulb. maybe your right side assembly is simply missing a part. the "diffuser" is removeable ...

*all* cars have the "parking light" option! and it uses the blinker bulbs.
you use it when parked on the side of a dark street. simply move the blinker lever to the side towards the road and your blinker lights on that side (front and back) will light up.
it's a parking light where you can choose between illuminating either the left or right side of the car.
only works with the ignition off (duh!) ...

cool.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.