Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dellorto poor mid-range running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I'm running twin DRLA carbs on my teen and since I've fired it back up again, after 5 years around the garage, I believe I'm fighting a fuel starvation/blockage issue on my right carb.

I measured exhaust temperatures after taking the car for a run and found #1 and 2 were running about 230C (sorry metric in Canaduh) but what was really telling was #4 was 175C and #3 was only 55C.

Covering the #3 intake or pulling it's plug had no impact on idle.

Pulled the tubes from the carb and ran 30PSI of compressed air in everywhere on the #3 side of the carb. That seemed to perk it up for idle and my exhaust temps came up too.

But I'm still experiencing missing in the mid range RPM and or on light throttle.

I suspect I have a blockage still in the mid range jetting and not the main jets.

Does anyone have a good process for cleaning out a Dellorto while in the car?

Trying to get ready for a PCA road trip leaving Friday, so a complete removal / tear down doesn't fit my time frame right now.

Thanks!
einic
Idle jets supply idle and midrange. Air mix jets suck air from base plate under air filters. (And dirt)
They easily get clogged. Unscrew and clean. There is a rebuild set that has tall air mix jets to prevent clogging.
porschetub
QUOTE(-JR- @ Mar 3 2016, 08:17 PM) *

I'm running twin DRLA carbs on my teen and since I've fired it back up again, after 5 years around the garage, I believe I'm fighting a fuel starvation/blockage issue on my right carb.

I measured exhaust temperatures after taking the car for a run and found #1 and 2 were running about 230C (sorry metric in Canaduh) but what was really telling was #4 was 175C and #3 was only 55C.

Covering the #3 intake or pulling it's plug had no impact on idle.

Pulled the tubes from the carb and ran 30PSI of compressed air in everywhere on the #3 side of the carb. That seemed to perk it up for idle and my exhaust temps came up too.

But I'm still experiencing missing in the mid range RPM and or on light throttle.

I suspect I have a blockage still in the mid range jetting and not the main jets.

Does anyone have a good process for cleaning out a Dellorto while in the car?

Trying to get ready for a PCA road trip leaving Friday, so a complete removal / tear down doesn't fit my time frame right now.

Thanks!

start with your idle jets and remove and clean them but hate to say it but after 5 yrs those carbs will most likely require a rebuilt kit run thru them both ,would say your carbs will be gunked up also.
Your idle jets are transition to the main jets,good luck ...these are good carbs.
-JR-
Thanks guys.

Fortunately I've use fuel stabilizer and cycled fuel on the car over the years.

I've opened the carb and there is no "gum" in the bows or on the float needle valve assemble.

Maybe I need to pull the idle jets out again and run some carb cleaned through them.

thanks again!
-JR-
QUOTE(-JR- @ Mar 3 2016, 01:39 AM) *

Thanks guys.

Fortunately I've use fuel stabilizer and cycled fuel on the car over the years.

I've opened the carb and there is no "gum" in the bows or on the float needle valve assemble.

Maybe I need to pull the idle jets out again and run some carb cleaned through them.

thanks again!

Ran the carb cleaner through the jet ports and adjustment screw holes and seems to have resolved the issues.
tomrev
As noted, pull the idle jets, and blow them out backwards; pretty easy for tiny bits of crap to clog them. Hold up to the light, and make sure you can see clear light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.