Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-jet ground issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I have been having this issue since I put the new injector harness in that I bought a couple years ago from Jeff Bolsby.
It has the original type connectors to go on the 3x spade ground connection on the top back of the case where the f.i. injector harness grounds out. but they keep working loose, and I start getting an intermittent cutting out. I have been very careful to try and tighten them with out damaging them, but they will not hold tight.
I don't want to cut and splice etc a nice rebuilt new harness but those connectors are not working well. what are my best options? it seems I may need to put newer t type or better connectors on those ground wires.

thanks for the help.

Phil
BeatNavy
I had a similar situation when I first installed the new harness, but I did carefully crimp the connectors and reseat them, and that seemed to solve my problem. They should fit fairly snugly. Goes without saying (but I will), make sure the ground spades are clean of corrosion/oil/gunk.
DRPHIL914
I have done that 2x this week. last time it held for a month last time just a few days.
I think that the harness may be working loose somehow, there is not a lot of slack there, last time is was right after I went thru some twisties with some spirited driving rolleyes.gif
so I may just need to secure the harness close to there so it does not move or vibrate loose at the connectors.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the feedback. I have built hundreds of FI harnesses and no one has reported those conditions before. Recrimping them should suffice if necessary and I like the idea of repositioning the harness and possibly zip tying it in place to keep everything secure. the 1975-76 cars actually have a plastic tie down that attaches the harness to the rear wall in two places - so there is precedent.

We could always put on ring terminals and bolt them down. happy11.gif
76-914
agree.gif FWIW, you can duplicate those plastic clamps by inserting a black cable tie (that is as wide as the hole in the firewall) from the transmission side then around the harness and double back thru the hole it was inserted. From the transmission side, pull the cable thru it's square end and tighten. Once the cable tie attaches to itself in the transmission bay it will be too large to pop out the hole in the firewall and looks OEM from the engine bay side. Does that make sense? beerchug.gif Kent
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 3 2016, 11:25 AM) *

Thanks for the feedback. I have built hundreds of FI harnesses and no one has reported those conditions before. Recrimping them should suffice if necessary and I like the idea of repositioning the harness and possibly zip tying it in place to keep everything secure. the 1975-76 cars actually have a plastic tie down that attaches the harness to the rear wall in two places - so there is precedent.

We could always put on ring terminals and bolt them down. happy11.gif

May not be oem, but I think your idea of a ring attachment would be better.
I did not have it strapped down , so I will do that first, crimp the end tighter again and report back! Btw, Jeff. This is the only issue I've ever had since putting your new harness, well worth the investment! !
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 3 2016, 10:25 AM) *

May not be oem, but I think your idea of a ring attachment would be better.
I did not have it strapped down , so I will do that first, crimp the end tighter again and report back! Btw, Jeff. This is the only issue I've ever had since putting your new harness, well worth the investment! !

Cool. One of the subtle upgrades I have done to the original harness design is to extend those three ground wires by about 2 inches, because the originals were way too short. I can always make a short stub harness, with a ring on one end, and three male quick disconnects to give you a bit more length.

Try shifting the harness and zip-tying it down first.
914_teener
How sure are you Phil that this is the problem?

There are several other things that could cause that sypmtom.
DRPHIL914
Trial and error, 3x this month, and since I posted this, i pinced the lower of the three grounds which seemed loose, first drive ran perfect. I also strapped the harness tighter so now I hope it won't work loose again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.