Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted - 914 for a Canadian Buyer (finally found one!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
ThunderbirdDrive

Thanks for all the assistance on the forum. I successfully found myself a very nice 76 914, which I was able to ship from Edmonton to Toronto.

A very clean full rotisserie restoration was done about 10 years ago in Nevada.
Car is rust free, and a great Tangerine racing stainless exhaust which sounds amazing!

Hello all.
I've been trolling through the forums for the past while and i'm now convinced that my next project will be a 914.
Back in the mid '90s I drove a '75 beetle convertible and loved the air cooled community.
Growing up my father had a '82 911 turbo look, and I've always had a passion for Porsche.

Since that car I got into motorcycles, got married, and had kids.
I now need a more "practical" hobby vehicle to take over from the motorcycle.

I'm looking for something ideally "turn key".
leaning towards a 2.0 /4 with the side shift transmission and not a fan of rust.
Car does not need to be 100% period correct and could be slightly modified, but looking for an "original look"

I'm located up in Toronto Canada, and have been contemplating the pro's and con's of buying something locally (if I can find), or importing a nice rust free car from the US.

Currency conversions are not exactly in my factor at the moment, but i'm open to the concept for the right car.

Any importing advice and/or introductions to sellers for a motivated Canadian buyer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Cal
This '73 2.0L is currently available in Quebec....it sold for $11K 2 years ago and is now for sale for $20K. IMO, it would be good buy at $15K if it passed a PPI.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=274004

ThunderbirdDrive
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 3 2016, 08:37 PM) *

This '73 2.0L is currently available in Quebec....it sold for $11K 2 years ago and is now for sale for $20K. IMO, it would be good buy at $15K if it passed a PPI.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=274004

Thanks very much Cal for pointing that one out. I missed that it was located in Montreal.
Will take a closer look.
ThunderbirdDrive
Bump, with the warmer weather up here are there any more coming out of storage?

Starting to think I will have to import into Canada. Has anybody out there done this before? What happens if the car has been modified? Can it still be imported and plated for the street?

Currency conversion is a pain with our CAD$ but willing to spend up to around $20k CAD +\- (all in, shipped to the boarder) to get the right car on the street up here.
Mark Henry
You can see if Mike's914 has any leads. http://mikes914s.com/

Mike or I can do a PPI if local. Mike's in Colborne, I'm near Brimacombe ski hill, N/E of Bowmanville. No traffic I'm about an hour from Young St and 401.
There's Harmony Road in Oshawa, but he is quite spendy.

If you want to know what to look for, so you can do a PPI yourself, you can come and look at the 914's I have here. We are tearing down my sons project so you can have a good look at what to watch out for.
$20K is almost $16K USD so you should be able to find a nice 914 with that budget.
If you're up to a road trip I have a trailer. shades.gif

There's the Ohio car asking $12K (remember the OBO part shades.gif ) or if you can increase you budget that a nice looking /6 conversion in Maryland. idea.gif

Are you the guy with the WTB ad on Kijiji?
ThunderbirdDrive
Mark, yes I'm the guy on kijiji.
Gotten a few responses from it but everything is still in storage and nobody has any pics.

I had a nice talk with Mike at mikes 914.
Got a good idea of what repairs could add up to if required.

I actually just touched base with a guy with a clean (from what I've seen in pics and description so far) '73 2.0 (yellow) based out in Edmonton Alberta. Price is realistic. Tough part is arranging a non biased 3rd party PPI that I can trust. I found a Porsche enthusiast mechanic who has offered to do the PPI.
Shipping looks straight forward, and I'm getting some quotes now.

I really appreciate all the help and advice you have offered me

James
ThunderbirdDrive
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 15 2016, 01:31 PM) *

Mike or I can do a PPI if local. Mike's in Colborne, I'm near Brimacombe ski hill, N/E of Bowmanville. No traffic I'm about an hour from Young St and 401.

If you want to know what to look for, so you can do a PPI yourself, you can come and look at the 914's I have here. We are tearing down my sons project so you can have a good look at what to watch out for.
$20K is almost $16K USD so you should be able to find a nice 914 with that budget.

There's the Ohio car asking $12K (remember the OBO part shades.gif ) or if you can increase you budget that a nice looking /6 conversion in Maryland. idea.gif

Any tips on a remote PPI?
Is a compression leak down test recommended?
Hell hole & battery tray, longs and jack stands, trunks and floors, shock mounts.
Brakes, tires, steering.
Electrics, lights, signals
Any other areas to due extra due diligence?

Thanks for the help

Mark Henry
QUOTE(ThunderbirdDrive @ Apr 24 2016, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 15 2016, 01:31 PM) *

Any tips on a remote PPI?
Is a compression leak down test recommended?
Hell hole & battery tray, longs and jack stands, trunks and floors, shock mounts.
Brakes, tires, steering.
Electrics, lights, signals
Any other areas to due extra due diligence?

Thanks for the help

Measure the top door gap then jack on the rear donut, measure gap again. I use a magnet and ther tap/rap method to look for bondo. Signs of over spray. seals and rubber parts. Pull the front hood seal up around buckets and rear corners. Interior condition. signs of previous damage corners, light buckets, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.