Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weather Strip channel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lcjo73914
Please, any help on restoring the front trunk weather strip channel.
Any thread?

Thank you
Very much
Tom_T
If it's badly rusted through in most or too much of it, then you'll need to replace it with either new formed sheet metal, or find & cut-n-weld one or parts of it as needed from a donor car. If it's a few spots, then you can cut out & weld in new sheet metal sections.

I think mine is in the former category. sad.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
trojanhorsepower
Like Tom said, how bad is it? I have cut and patched lots of little place on mine, others have made all new factory style.
lcjo73914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 3 2016, 02:25 PM) *

If it's badly rusted through in most or too much of it, then you'll need to replace it with either new formed sheet metal, or find & cut-n-weld one or parts of it as needed from a donor car. If it's a few spots, then you can cut out & weld in new sheet metal sections.

I think mine is in the former category. sad.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thank you Tom
It's just a small section of 22 inches long.
I'm gonna weld a peace of sheet metal.

Thank you
Very much
lcjo73914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Mar 3 2016, 03:51 PM) *

Like Tom said, how bad is it? I have cut and patched lots of little place on mine, others have made all new factory style.

There was a thick bondo layer on it, and when few cracks. When I started to remove the bondo and found the rust and holes, plus the sheet metal is thin, so I cut off and its about 22 inches.

Thank you
lcjo73914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Mar 3 2016, 03:51 PM) *

That's what it looks like.
gopack
I had that problem taken care of when i had body work done. they took lots of pictures. check out my blog.

I had the same issues, and questions, so I paid to have it fixed

my restoration blog
Geezer914
That is not too bad. I would wire brush the channel and coat it with Rust X or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Let it dry, tape the under side, and patch it with JB Weld. Final coat with Rust X.
mgphoto
The tool to use to remove the rust is the Wurth DBS 3600. This tool is VERY effective with different size wire wheels and materials, sorry don't have a photo of it, look it up.
Remove all rust, cut through to wheel well, if need be.

Click to view attachment

Mig welder, run some beads, grind flat.

Click to view attachment

And repair the corners. Weld in and grind flat.

Click to view attachment

Large sections, under cowl and front fascia, headlight buckets badly rotted would be easier to replace.
Good luck
Mike
Mikey914
Cary is doing this on my car too. Don't think he has got to it yet.
Bet I'm sure there will be pics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.