Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the eyelet for in the rear trunk carpet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Creamsicle New Zealand
Hi all
Can anyone please tell what the eyelet in the approx. centre of the rear trunk carpet is for? I have found a threaded hole in the trunk below where the eyelet would be but cant work out what is supposed to be held there?
Steve
914Next
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Mar 3 2016, 08:36 PM) *

Hi all
Can anyone please tell what the eyelet in the approx. centre of the rear trunk carpet is for? I have found a threaded hole in the trunk below where the eyelet would be but cant work out what is supposed to be held there?
Steve

I believe that is there to allow moving the spare tire to the rear truck with using the hold-down bolt like the front truck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Next @ Mar 3 2016, 05:44 PM) *
I believe that is there to allow moving the spare tire to the rear truck with using the hold-down bolt like the front truck.

agree.gif

To secure a spare tire using the same hardware that is used in the front trunk.
smile.gif
Creamsicle New Zealand
Thanks for that, hadn't thought of putting the spare in the rear but I can imaging the extra height in the front trunk gained by doing that.
Dave_Darling
The extra space is enough to fit the big cooler full of beer... smile.gif

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 4 2016, 08:26 AM) *

--DD

Yet I wonder if you would be willing to shift the balance that much towards the nose. Are you saying with or without ice?
Ansbacher
So, which is better for balance- spare in the front or spare in the back? I presently have my spare in the front trunk plus some tools, while there is nothing in the rear trunk.

Ansbacher
Steve
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Mar 4 2016, 09:08 AM) *

So, which is better for balance- spare in the front or spare in the back? I presently have my spare in the front trunk plus some tools, while there is nothing in the rear trunk.

Ansbacher

I was told the car has a 49/51 weight distribution, so having it in the front is preferred. Also if the spare is in the stock position it is also part of the front impact zone, which could save your life.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 4 2016, 09:18 AM) *
Also if the spare is in the stock position it is also part of the front impact zone, which could save your life.

agree.gif
struckn
I find the ride to be better with the weight of the spare up front and the handling also better for general driving.
wes
Ya but if you want it to Handel more like a 911 put the spare in the back lol-2.gif
forrestkhaag
I moved the spare to the rear trunk, secured it with the hardware, put the top back in the rear trunk, and stuffed a side shift tranny and all the linkage in the front trunk for the ride back to Laguna Beach from Phoenix (Craig's List purchase) .. tons of room. - wouldn't fit in the rear trunk...... and I still had room for a hitchhiker..... beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 4 2016, 10:45 AM) *

--DD

Yet I wonder if you would be willing to shift the balance that much towards the nose. Are you saying with or without ice?

From experience:

You can put a pony keg in the front, and pack ice around it. Then drive to your party, open the front and tap the keg. The small holes in the trunk will let the water from the melting ice run out onto the ground.

r_towle
I wonder how wide of a tire you could put in the rear trunk and still be able to put the roof in there.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 6 2016, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 4 2016, 10:45 AM) *

--DD

From experience:

You can put a pony keg in the front, and pack ice around it. Then drive to your party, open the front and tap the keg. The small holes in the trunk will let the water from the melting ice run out onto the ground.

An old girlfriend and I put would put a case of beer on ice in the front trunk and lawn chairs in the rear. Then we spent the evening at the admiral twin drive in watching movies. Btw, it's still showing movies and the only remaining twin screen drive in, and still on route 66.
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 6 2016, 12:30 PM) *
I wonder how wide of a tire you could put in the rear trunk and still be able to put the roof in there.

225/50 x 15 on a 7" cookie cutter rim is the max i can fit in there. The roof does touch the tire and doesn't fit into the rear rubber holders anymore but the lid still closes.

A 205 tire on a 5.5" or 6" rim should fit just fine without touching ...
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.