Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HEADLIGHT QUESTION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
Putting my'74 2.0 liter back together and have a question with the head lights and fog lights as I am not sure how they really are supposed to work.

With key in third position or engine running, when I turn on the headlights, they pop up but the low beams don't come on. I have checked head light and both low and high work I can turn the fog lights at this point. But if I pull the lever to high beams, the headlights do come on and its the high beams, and the fog lights go off, even though they are still on in the dash. I get not power to the low beams wires.

Wiring seemed straight forward. There are three wires grouped together for the headlights and the fog light wire isn't even near the head lights.

Any tips appreciated.
TheCabinetmaker
Fog lights don't work when high beams are on. Low beams only. Unless the wiring has been changed. Sounds like some wires might be plugged in wrong to the 3 prong connector on the light
jcd914
Could be a bad dimmer relay.
Bad low beam contact inside the relay or loose wire.
IIRC it is the square relay clipped to the fuse panel under the dash.

Jim
falcor75
I had the issue with no low beams but working high beams.
Changed the relay and then all worked fine.
billh1963
First step is to clean all the connections! These cars are 40+ years old and most of these connectors have never been apart. Buy some electrical contact cleaner and clean them.

Check your grounds for corrosion.

Once you have done that and still not working then you can start changing relays and such.
jcd914
Check your fuses too.
There are 4 for the headlights. each headlight has 2 fuses (high and low)

Jim
LowBridge
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 4 2016, 08:25 AM) *

First step is to clean all the connections! These cars are 40+ years old and most of these connectors have never been apart. Buy some electrical contact cleaner and clean them.

Check your grounds for corrosion.

Once you have done that and still not working then you can start changing relays and such.

agree.gif ... and once this is done you can normally tap the relay if it is failing you can get it to change status, but most likely it's something simple in the wiring and I have found starting with the grounding points give me the best results.
orbit398
Thanks for the suggestions.

One area I have not cleaned up/re-worked is under the dash. Fuse panel needs a good cleaning etc.

Will check the 'square relay' too
80cap
Good timing!
I just came in to post the same question. Head lights and fogs work but I can't get high beams. I just replaced the head light relay with a new one. When I pull on the stalk nothing! The low beams remain on, There is no sound and the fuses are new J west.
Looking for a gremlin . I am suspect of the turn signal switch which is not new but seemed solid.
Brian
80cap
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.