Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some Basic 901 Transmission Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I bought a '75 core to rebuild and finally got it open up.

Just a couple of questions to start:

1) Is it possible to inspect the syncros, dog teeth, and sliders without removal? I have the output shaft off and can see that 1st and 2nd are worn. The input shaft with 4th/5th look good so I'd rather not remove the shaft if not needed. The teeth don't look worn and both 4th and 5th syncro bands are black.

2) Do the sliders tend to wear faster than the dog teeth? My 2nd gear dog teeth actually look okay, but the slider on the 2nd gear side is definitely worn.

Probably doesn't tell a lot, but I included some 2nd and 3rd gear photos.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

jimkelly
the angle of the pics is not ideal bnut from what i can see, while not 100% perfect, they are not too bad at all.

see this
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=dogteeth
BeemerSteve
I'm looking for a 901 trans.....if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Highland
Welcome any opinions on these transmission parts. Anybody have an opinion on inspection while gears still on the shaft?

BeemerSteve: I bought 3 transmissions, 2 side shifts for $250 and 1 tailshift for $50. They were all of unknown condition and 1 sideshift came with a good starter. Bought them cause they were all easy pickup for me in the SoCal area.
Hope this helps with your valuation.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=545
936]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=545940]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Luke M
A: NFG
B1 : NFG
C1/2 : NFG
D: NFG
E: NFG
F1/2 : Maybe ok for 4th/5th gear
G1/2 : NFG
QUOTE(Highland @ Mar 16 2016, 12:54 PM) *

Welcome any opinions on these transmission parts. Anybody have an opinion on inspection while gears still on the shaft?

BeemerSteve: I bought 3 transmissions, 2 side shifts for $250 and 1 tailshift for $50. They were all of unknown condition and 1 sideshift came with a good starter. Bought them cause they were all easy pickup for me in the SoCal area.
Hope this helps with your valuation.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=545
936]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=545940]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I'm no expert but, pictures 1, 2 3 4 looks like paper weight. Some might say they are ok and looks good, it all depends on how often you want to open the trans back up? My thoughts are, do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
Highland
NFG? = I assume means no good?

These parts are from 2 transmissions. So pretty much I need all new engagement teeth, sliders, and syncros.

Where's the best place to buy these parts?
Luke M
QUOTE(Highland @ Mar 17 2016, 11:23 AM) *

NFG? = I assume means no good?

These parts are from 2 transmissions. So pretty much I need all new engagement teeth, sliders, and syncros.

Where's the best place to buy these parts?

Yes.. NFG = No good

Check around or post a wtb ad. Some guys may have some good used sliders/dog teeth laying around. Also give Dr. Evil a pm as he may have everything you need.
I buy most of my New parts from Pelican Parts.
Highland
Okay, so I opened the last core I have and this one was rebuilt once. I can tell by the gaskets which leads to my first question. There are 3 gaskets between the intermediate plate the and transmission case, is that okay? Can I measure all three and just for that gasket thickness?

I know I've posted lots of pictures and I wouldn't post these if it wasn't obvious that this box was rebuilt. Appreciate opinions on condition of these parts before I spend $2K on new parts.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=546
493]Click to view attachment
Highland
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=546
498]
porschetub
QUOTE(Highland @ Mar 19 2016, 06:24 PM) *

Cheapest Porsche transmission to buy used without question and pretty strong......no more clues and no need to proceed.
Dave_Darling
Highland, I will say the last box looks like good parts to me--but my experience in the guts of the trans is very limited so if someone else tells you they are scrap then pay attention to them over me.

The gaskets, though: Those are very important. Measure all three of them in an un-squished area if you can find one. Get new gaskets that add up to exactly that thickness (if you can only measure a compressed area, add some for how far they compress). Those "gaskets" are actually paper shims, and they help set the R&P engagement depth.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.