Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tow options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orangecrate
Soo the orangecrate is in Mesa and I am on Whidbey Is. Wa. It has 5 reverse speeds and one fwd. Long story. I need it here. I have a few options. I have a trailer. In Mesa. Under the teener. These options include the purchase of new tires for teener or trailer or both ultimately. I'm really leaning towards flat towing or using a car dolly (u-haul) My tow vehicles range from a 90 jeep Cherokee to a 69 f250 with a 76 f150 4by in between. All need something to make the trip. Soooo many variables. wacko.gif Ha Ha Just a poor gearhead biggrin.gif Both pickups have v8's one AT one 4 speed . So what are your experiences? I'm thinking dolly backwards as the easiest. Really don't have anyplace to put the trailer up here, and it probably weighs as much as the teener!! Thanks for your input. Robin
Larmo63
I'd pull it on your trailer and pull it with your best pick up truck. Take your time and enjoy the road trip. Sell the trailer when you get home.

Also, shipping cars isn't THAT expensive. Look around a bit, you'd be surprised.
brant
Secure that rear trunk.
Other members have had them blow open when towing backwards
dangerranger01
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 3 2016, 09:36 PM) *

Secure that rear trunk.
Other members have had them blow open when towing backwards

Yes. I've also read the targa flying off when towing backwards. These cars where designed to go forward...just look at their shape.
jcd914
agree.gif

Don't tow it backwards, the targa tops don't like it.
A few reports of lost tops.

Unless the trailer you have really weighs a lot or your tow vehicles have issues any of them should be fine. The 914 weighs in around 2000 to 2300 lbs depending on year.

I really like the way my F150 rides and it tows very well. I tow a 26ft 5th wheel with it but it is a 2008 2wd with the 5.4L V8.

Would the teener be drive-able without the ring gear put in wrong?

Jim
yeahmag
I tow mine all over the place on a HEAVY (borrowed) trailer and a Honda Pilot. You are way ahead of me!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 3 2016, 09:48 PM) *

Jim

Flipping it back is a full tear down to get the main shaft out of the way. Easy for Dr. Evil but not for all of us...
jcd914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 3 2016, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 3 2016, 09:48 PM) *

Jim

Flipping it back is a full tear down to get the main shaft out of the way. Easy for Dr. Evil but not for all of us...

Well yea it is not a repair everyone can do but it would not be tough to swap the trans.
And since I was just looking at a transmission I have this morning, that is where my head went.

Jim
Olympic 914
What about just renting a U-Haul car trailer for a one way trip? then just returning it somewhere up in WA.
That way you don't have to store a trailer, and the issue of tires, bearings etc. is on them.
billh1963
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 3 2016, 11:49 PM) *

Also, shipping cars isn't THAT expensive. Look around a bit, you'd be surprised.

agree.gif

One breakdown will pay for the cost of shipping...not to mention your time and effort
DBCooper
One more for shipping. At least get a quote, and compare that with gas up and back. Then if it's still not close enough add the wear and tear and your time and I bet it will be. Get several quotes, the biggies are really expensive, the independents relatively cheap.

saigon71
I towed mine home from purchase with a U-Haul car dolly. It worked very well.
orangecrate
Hadn't thought about the top ,but it does have a nice lip there to catch thewind . and that reminds me my back window would not lke the breeeze either. it's a bit shaky. problem is i have no windshield either. Any option short of an enclosed ride is going to require some serious tarping. No one has had problems with dragging body parts on a dolly?? That was one of my concerns. Trailer is sounding better all the time.
billh1963
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 4 2016, 08:57 AM) *

Get several quotes, the biggies are really expensive, the independents relatively cheap.

Put it on uship.com
white1975
QUOTE(orangecrate @ Mar 3 2016, 09:39 PM) *

Soo the orangecrate is in Mesa and I am on Whidbey Is. Wa. It has 5 reverse speeds and one fwd. Long story. I need it here. I have a few options. I have a trailer. In Mesa. Under the teener. These options include the purchase of new tires for teener or trailer or both ultimately. I'm really leaning towards flat towing or using a car dolly (u-haul) My tow vehicles range from a 90 jeep Cherokee to a 69 f250 with a 76 f150 4by in between. All need something to make the trip. Soooo many variables. wacko.gif Ha Ha Just a poor gearhead biggrin.gif Both pickups have v8's one AT one 4 speed . So what are your experiences? I'm thinking dolly backwards as the easiest. Really don't have anyplace to put the trailer up here, and it probably weighs as much as the teener!! Thanks for your input. Robin

trailer much better on the nerves. put a used motor in tow vec 4 days before leaving.
2400 miles .
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
If you want to flat tow it a long ways you can just remove the cv joints and leave the stub axles in. Easy peasy. You should be able to reinstall the axles in less than an hour.
DBCooper
I agree, I've done Texas-California-Texas several times, and even towing with an Acura RL it was the easiest tow I've ever done. I've used dollies and trailers, no match for the ease of flat towing, you can't even tell there's a car back there. Only negative is that you can't back up, but when you're travelling long distance on interstates that's not an issue.

EdwardBlume
Some states require supplimental brakes for flat towed cars over a certain weight. Get in an accident and exceed the legal limits and you may be on your own... I'd ship or get a UHaul trailer.
Mark Henry
How about this? smile.gif

IPB Image
billh1963
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 4 2016, 02:34 PM) *

IPB Image

Better have a V8 in that bus or be towing downhill all the way biggrin.gif
orangecrate
I love it. All a question of balance. And not being in a hurry. I think I could get two teeners on my trailer and it wouldn't be overloaded. And if I put them back to back it would balance nicely too! biggrin.gif Shipping is kinda out cause I like road trips and--- I get to see my wife. I kinda like her too. Another long story-- bout 35 yrs. grouphug.gif Anyway The flat towing option sounds interesting but where do I find a bar to fit a teener ??
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 4 2016, 02:36 PM) *

IPB Image

Type 1 engine, No problems

2.0 Type 1 Gene Berg kit engine, about 120hp with redux boxes.
I wouldn't want to go through the mountains, but it does fine in the rolling hills of Ontario. So most highways it would be OK, but it's slow, this load 65mph is max.

I've driven the 3 hours (each way) to the Niagara Falls VW show like this.
montoya 73 2.0
I flat towed from Klamath Falls Oregon to Tahoe with my 06 jeep commander V8. no problems.

Click to view attachment
Garland
Had the windsheild fly at me intact, while following mine on a flat bed, backward. I watched a perfect stock windshield shatter when it hit the ground next to me at 70 mph.

Don't tow backward.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 4 2016, 11:09 AM) *

Some states require supplimental brakes for flat towed cars over a certain weight. Get in an accident and exceed the legal limits and you may be on your own... I'd ship or get a UHaul trailer.

FUD screwy.gif
shelby/914
The Jeep will do the job, but I'd probably opt for a V8 truck if it already has a hitch and brake controller. I moved my '66 GT350 from Colorado To Missouri on a U haul dolly when I went to Germany in '89 behind a '88 Cherokee. Brought it home from storage at my folks house behind the same Jeep in '92 on a car trailer. Everything went fine both ways.

Dan
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 5 2016, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 4 2016, 11:09 AM) *

FUD screwy.gif

http://rvibrake.com/pages/towing-law
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 4 2016, 11:36 AM) *

IPB Image

Photoshop?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 5 2016, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 4 2016, 11:36 AM) *

IPB Image

Photoshop?

Nope, my '67 bus, '74 914 and the trailer that I made in the early 90's:)

In fact I towed home that very bus, on that very trailer, with my 4 cylinder 1987 22R Toyota pickup from Manassas Virginia.
550 miles, over the Adirondacks. Bought my '67 bus at a Manassas Bug Out VW show at Old Dominion Speedway. Paid $800 for it.

I also towed home several VW bugs on that trailer behind my toyota or '78 westfalia, from Florida, Alabama, Georgia.
Early- mid 90's every winter when we went to Florida and I'd bring home a car.

Behind my Westy early 90's

Mark Henry
My '67 with a whole skid (1200sq/ft IIRC) of laminate flooring in it. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Hard core. cheer.gif
orangecrate
Towbars?? Brand ?? Availability??
montoya 73 2.0
Just an FYI

I installed a brake control on my jeep commander to tow a car trailer, Then found out that Uhaul car trailers does not use electric brakes. They are automatic hydraulic surge brakes.
orangecrate
Which major league suck trying to back up a hill. or just trying to back up ar15.gif
One of the funniest things I ever saw was a guy trying to back up his flat tow behind a motorhome. Yelling at his wife- poor woman. Not her fault he was an idiot. Tho she did marry him. I thought he was gonna tear the front end off the tow. After literally about 15 minutes he finally wized up and unhooked the rig. It was hilarious. He was so angry. Bound and determined he was gonna do that. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.