Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 914 1.8 - Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
VG-914
My 1975 914 1.8 has mirrors with a rubberized black housing over them, which I cannot find on other 1975's. Does anybody know if they were sold in this configuration? If not original, I would like to replace them with some I might find which are... if they are original, I want to fix them up.Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Those look to be aftermarket mirrors of what brand, I'm not sure.

All 914s 70-76 had the chrome "Flag" mirrors, with the early cars having a sharp 90 degree arm, & later having a rounder 90 degree bend - which are the type for your 75.

Porsche still sells them new, & AFAIK they still even have new pass. side ones with a slight convex mirror (hard to tell the difference from flat because it's slight), & last I saw they were in the $230-250 per side range - less any PCA discount at P-dealers (or try at Suncoast Porsche & Sunset Porsche online parts depts. for best pricing), or from Jonathan at GPR, AA, Automotion/Eklers, Sierra Madre Collection is doing a 10% now for the Porsche Lit/Swap this weekend, or TC'sGarage will do 10-15% for PCA members IIRC (all are online).

You'll want new base seals from Porsche or 914Rubber, & mirror base SS screws are available at GoWesty.com (same screw on Vans as 914s), & maybe some other sources.

If that's too steep, then look on here, 914club, CL, evil-bay, TheSamba.com , etc. for used ones. Bruce Stone/bdstone & other members may have them. They usually polish up nice if not too far gone, & AutoAtlanta sells new mirror glass & seals for the late style ones, & maybe 914Rubber/Mikey914 on here &/or other vendors.

PS - For the used option (or new), you can use the L/driver side mirror flipped upside down on the R/pass. side, rather than trying to find a used R/pass. convex one. However, if you're popping for a new one, then you might as well get L & R new since the prices are the same (or close).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914Sixer
Incorrect mirrors. Antenna is on the wrong side too.
Cuda911
^^^ Can't say that I agree regarding the antenna. It was an aftermarket item installed by the dealer. Most were installed on the left side, but it was really up to the dealer to put them wherever they wanted.

VG-914, here's what the proper mirrors for your car should look like. Also. many people prefer mirrors from a '73 Mustang, as on my car.
JeffBowlsby
"Also. many people prefer mirrors from a '73 Mustang, as on my car."

Is that an old fact you just made up? I have never seen Mustang mirrors on any 914, and doubt that few would concur with you. You have a nice looking 914 but...the non OEM mirrors...are in the eyes of the beholder...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 6 2016, 11:04 AM) *

^^^ Can't say that I agree regarding the antenna. It was an aftermarket item installed by the dealer. Most were installed on the left side, but it was really up to the dealer to put them wherever they wanted.

VG-914, here's what the proper mirrors for your car should look like. Also. many people prefer mirrors from a '73 Mustang, as on my car.

I come back here whenever the gods tell me that goofy things are amiss. Here is an example, and be aware that this part of the forum is dedicated to ORIGINALITY and HISTORY.
No, many people do NOT prefer mirrors from a '73 Mustang on the 914. Antennae were put in many places and, as you suggested it was usually dealer preference. Some were on the left, some on the right, and a few were placed in the engine bay - protruding from the cooling grill (check the Chuck Stoddard version).
I'll also mention that your front "spoiler" , wheels, and lack of a rear valence are non-original.
Sorry, just trying for purity here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.