Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just won a bid on E-Bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I have not bid on anything on E-Bay in at least 10 yrs,.I was informed that I won a bid for a 2010 Subie 3.6 L engine with 90K miles for $$ 960.00.

How much fraud is possible thru EBay,..??? Iam NEVER this lucky ,..I was just dicking around...?? Frank
Andyrew
Sounds about right, was shipping included or what do you have to pay for shipping?
DBCooper
Just dicking around? Well it looks like you have some work cut out for you now, doesn't it? eBay has buyer protection that worked pretty well for me. I won an STi engine once, he was local and surprised when I asked to pay cash when I came to pick it up, made excuses, put me off. Two days later eBay called and told me not to send money to that account, it was fake, and I'd be protected. I don't know if it's always that way but it worked for me.
Mueller
It goes both ways on eBay, are you a serious buyer?

I've been reimbursed for one bad transaction, the item got lost in the mail and the seller had proof that the post office couldn't find it, all money returned.

I bought a $40 steering wheel , never got the wheel and ebay/paypal couldn't get my money back.

flmont
That's what Iam concerned about I thought the engine would be more,the seller has a good rating and sent a phone number,..last bidder was 950.00 not even sure how I bid the 960.00 that won,...Well,. The add said shipping 85.00 and total to pay was 1045.00 but 85 bucks to ship a engine from Wisconsin,.?? fed-ex I thought was odd ,..and yes,. if what they say is true,.. Mueller, then I would buy for 1K the guy said it ran fine pulled from a car that was rear ended,..???
DBCooper
So he didn't research the freight cost? That's his problem, not yours, and if he's on the hook for it so are you. I don't know current prices, but that doesn't seem out of line. At this point that doesn't matter anyway, you bought it, it's yours.

Nasty thing about northern engines is corrosion. You'll see. But cool, a 3.6 conversion, everyone will be interested to see how it turns out.

flmont
That's what I mean by, just dicking around,..I see those engines asking 15-1800.00 I told the wife no way can I win that for under 1K,..It seems Iam wrong,..I want Egine S/N before it ships,..Outfront said ECU would run couple thousand and I should get about 270 HP,..due to no smog Equip,..I was leaning towards the SBC V8 ,..Being I couldn't decide flat 6 or SBC,...the decision was made for me very un-expectedly,. I met a great guy here in Tucson,...willing to help me out with some of the build......seems unreal,..to me right now. Frank
Andyrew
Id pay immediately and let the seller deal with the fact that he sold that engine no reserve with low shipping.

Also spend the time now and do a subaru trans swap with your swap with a cable shifter. You have quite a bit of support with the subaru setup right now and I would use that support 100%. Keep the 3.0 relatively stock and just enjoy it. Its a great engine for the 914!
flmont
Yea,..actually his add said I have to pay shipping,..after I really read it ,..I did this last night after a 14 hr day,..Thinking I would never win it,...He did show about 8 pics,..not a lot of outside corrosion on it,. DB
and he showed engine ID tag,..and the dash with milage,..So what the hell I own a 3.6 L going in my 76',..
flmont
Well andyrew,..I was thinking maybe boxster tranny,..or keep 901 for now,.I don't have fabbing ability,..tools,welder,shop, time money ..ETC...
Andyrew
Your much better off using a subaru trans. You wont need to muck about with trans/engine adapter bits.

You can use the subaru awd trans and then just convert it to FWD with the available parts.
flmont
How much is all the subie trany stuff,../ work to install..?? would the 901 tranny match the 6's engine rev's and ,..cruising RPM and all that...FM
BIGKAT_83
The Subaru transaxle conversion will cost about the same as a Kennedy adapter with a clutch and pressure plate.
Most of the Subaru transaxles are geared pretty close to the stock 901.
stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif
If I was doing another Subaru conversion I would use one of Precision Chassis works Boxster to Subaru adapters and go with a boxster transaxle. This places the engine closer to the front and lines the axles up better. Its also geared higher. But will add another 4 to 5K$$$$ to the conversion.
With the 3.6 subaru and the $2000 ECU you will be getting close to what a LS/boxster swap costs. Got to ask yourself "I could have had a V8"

Bob
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(flmont @ Mar 4 2016, 07:30 PM) *

I have not bid on anything on E-Bay in at least 10 yrs,.I was informed that I won a bid for a 2010 Subie 3.6 L engine with 90K miles for $$ 960.00.

How much fraud is possible thru EBay,..??? Iam NEVER this lucky ,..I was just dicking around...?? Frank

Gotta be careful dickin' around on ebay... I bought 2 cars and a motorcycle doing that. Never know, you just might win. Looks like you got a good deal. Congratulations!!!

Joe
914forme
You don't have a problem that I see, going price on Ebay might not be true market price. While it does to price trending and some believe it drives the market value, it drives the sucker born pricing. That being said, I have gotten a few deals on cars and trucks on Ebay. I watch the market, compare to the local market, and then buy when I see a deal.

If your research is accurate and correct you got a deal. 3.6 is a nice Powerplant. It is what I would have grabbed if I was not so far down the 3.3 rabbit hole!
Andyrew
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 5 2016, 04:12 AM) *

The Subaru transaxle conversion will cost about the same as a Kennedy adapter with a clutch and pressure plate.
If I was doing another Subaru conversion I would use one of Precision Chassis works Boxster to Subaru adapters and go with a boxster transaxle. This places the engine closer to the front and lines the axles up better. Its also geared higher. But will add another 4 to 5K$$$$ to the conversion.
With the 3.6 subaru and the $2000 ECU you will be getting close to what a LS/boxster swap costs. Got to ask yourself "I could have had a V8"

Bob

How much of that cost is the trans?

Seems damn high.. blink.gif
1stworks
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 5 2016, 07:37 AM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 5 2016, 04:12 AM) *

Bob

How much of that cost is the trans?

Seems damn high.. :blink

I got my boxster S 6 speed off ebay for 750.00 shipped to my door.
Andyrew
Good price for a 6 speed!

I only say it seems high because I know I can pick up the VW/Audi equivalent 5spd trans for 150-250 all day. My last one was $75...
BIGKAT_83
I've bought 2 BoxsterS transaxles.One was $1300 and the other one was $800.

You got a great deal at $750

The Audi 5sp transaxle is pretty common and found around here for under $200 at the pick and pulls.
colingreene
with a 3.6 thats how i would do it, is use the subaru trans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.