Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Might Be Driving to FL from NY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
Well, I found a car I want to buy in Bronx, NY. Provided everything goes smoothly, I will be flying up there next weekend and driving it home.

What kinda car you ask? 1996 Chevy Impala with 12,000 miles. biggrin.gif

Two main questions:

1. I would be driving I-95. What am I good for over the speed limit? Rumor on the street is Florida Highway Patrol gives you 14 over, which I have proven time and time again. I figure 9 over should be good, for sure, but maybe someone here knows something I don't. Any stretches of road that I can step on it on I-95?

2. How do I drive a car that I don't have a tag to? It would be a person to person, so what's the deal? I know there has to be a way to do it though.

I might bring someone with me, so if I do, then we will probably alternate shifts and drive straight through. My bro and I did that to Chicago, seems like the best idea.
TimT
if you drive 14 over on I-95 you will be passed like your dragging an anchor

try and stick near some semis, when they light it up , you can too, when they back out of it and hover near the limit you should too..

Speed limit on many parts of I-95 is 70 so there is really no need to push to hard
martinef1963
Be very, very careful - cause if you run up against a FHP that hasn't had his lunch he can and has the right to take possession of your car.

I would at least have insurance - it might get you by with just a ticket.

just me thinking out loud.
Aaron Cox
get a bill of sale...... and temp insurance......

and just hang with traffic biggrin.gif
ws91420
Check with your DMV you can get temp transport tags to move a vehicle. Also I looked at NY state DMV and they also issue temp transit tags.
jd74914
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 23 2005, 05:13 PM)
Check with your DMV you can get temp transport tags to move a vehicle. Also I looked at NY state DMV and they also issue temp transit tags.

agree.gif No use getting a ticket cause your car is unregistered.
iiibdsiil
I'm in the clear. I just talked to the guy, he said I can use his tag and insurance, and next day it back to him.

So, until I get home, I am just borrowing the car smile.gif
jd74914
no problems with that. beerchug.gif
scotty914
okay in maryland stick to 5 to 10 over or with flow of traffic until south of baltimore, and in northern Va be very carefull they are on a crack down. once you are 2 hours south of DC you are okay for the 14 mph thing.

and stop and say hello, i am 1 mile off of 95 you can get a spin in the suby 914 ( 914 is 50 yards off of 95 )
wrpspddrvr
Through mid and southern VA, just hang with traffic. It's not at all rare for folks to be goin' 20 (55 zone) over from just north of Richmond down to NC. Once you get past Petersburg it goes up to 65, and people start to slow a little bit. It turns to 70 in NC.
Take 295 when you get the chance in VA. It's 65MPH, and it keeps you out of the worst traffic.
My Mom's house is about 2 miles off of 95 in Prince George. If I'm home (possibility), maybe you'll be hungry or tired 'bout the time you get there....

Cole monkeydance.gif
iiibdsiil
I will see what my passengers schedule is, but I doubt I will be able to make any pitstops. I will see what's going on though. Right now, the owner of the car might be buying a car in GA, so maybe him he and I will just meet up there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.