Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reassemble order?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
So I am getting ready to start putting my 914 back together after a repaint. smile.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif

One of several problems I have is that I did not take it apart, I bought it after paint was done and still disassembled.

It was complete torn down except for pulling suspension, brakes and steering.

I m going to start on the interior and I need to know if the Fresh air box, defroster vents, wiper need to go in before or after the dash frame, dash pad and trim?

I want to avoid taking things apart to fit in something I should have done earlier.

The windshield is out still and will go in last probably.

Thoughts anyone?

I've been working on Porsche's for 38 years,20 years professionally and then casually but never done a complete reassembly.

Thanks
Jim

And because every thread should have pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

r_towle
First, under cowl heater parts, then complete dashboard.
Everything else is pretty logical but you want as much room as possible to do those two.

Under cowl cannot be done right with tank in place.
Dash cannot be done right with windshield in place.

Rich
Cairo94507
Wow, the paint looks terrific. Have fun putting it together and seeing it return to life.
jcd914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 5 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Everything else is pretty logical but you want as much room as possible to do those two.

Rich

Thanks Rich, this was what I was hoping to learn.
With the vents coming from the cowl to the dash area, which needed to be done first?
When I got the car some of the heater/fresh air stuff was in place, along with the wipers but things were loose and the wiring was not run so I pulled all back out.

So everything in the cowl area is out, including the tank.
And the whole dash frame, windshield and brand new 914rubber dash are in my shed still.

Jim

jcd914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 5 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Wow, the paint looks terrific. Have fun putting it together and seeing it return to life.

Thanks, it is beautiful color (House of Colors Majic Blue Pearl) but if I was picking a color I probably would picked a stock color.
So in away I am glad I did not pick the color smile.gif

A couple more pictures:

Click to view attachment

I love the reflection of my neighbors tree in the trunk lid.

Click to view attachment

Jim
Rob-O
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 5 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Rich

Dash can be done perfectly with the windshield in. Fresh air vents first (and side vent pieces in the cowl area if your car is '73 on), no fresh air cables. Leave those attached to the controls that will get installed into the dash face. Then put the dash in. The dash should have the following done. The upper vinyl in place, the upper dash pad, the ashtray, the glove box door and its associated parts (the box itself, the lock, the springs for the glove box door). Get the dash so that the four studs that are on the dash are protruding into the cowl area. You don't have to install the nuts yet.

Then install the cables to the fresh air boxes. The grommet for the cables is visible where the gauge cluster would be and has three holes for the three cables.

Now install wiper mechanism inside the cowl area. The rubber stud (available from 914Rubber.com) attaches to the wiper mechanism and protrudes through a hole in the dash near the radio opening.

After wiper mechanism I'd tackle the steering column. Put the rod with the two universal joints on the steering shaft that protrudes from the firewall on first. Make sure to pass it through the bracket that is under the dash first. Then the column with key and turn signal and wiper stalk goes in. Run the windshield washer hoses from the wiper stalk through the grommet in the cowl (this one has two holes for the two wiper hoses) and run them to their respective places. Those places are the wiper nozzles that protrude through the upper part of the cowl (this line should have a tee in it) and the other to the wiper bottle (passenger side, cowl area). Now is also a good time to run the radio antenna if you have one. There is a clear plastic grommet on the inside of the cowl area, on the inner drivers side fender (where the antenna was supposed to be installed but since each dealer performed the install, some put them on the passenger side, even though there is no grommet to the fender area on that side). Likewise, there is a similar clear plastic grommet on the firewall just behind where the radio will be inserted in the dash.

Now hook up as much electrical as you can. Hazard, light, fog lights if equipped, lighter and lights to the fresh air controls.

Now attach the four nuts inside the cowl area that hold the dash in place.

Now attach the gauges. Just make sure you already have the speedo cable run up to the area. I find it easiest to offer up the gauge bezel and pull the wires through their respective holes for gas gauge, speedo and tach. Hook them up (make sure the rubber bezels are already on the gauge!) and press them into he bezel.

Now steering wheel and horn wires. Wires for ignition and turn signals/wipers can be done now too. You can also now tighten all the steering colum bolts. Five if I remember correctly. Four to hold it to the dash and one that holds the tw pieces of the column together.

Now the bolt under the dash, and the four screws on the sides of the dash (two on each side, visible when the door is opened all the way).

Now knee pad. Then vents. Then center console if equipped.

In cowl area fit the fresh air box. I don't know where you are with brakes. But if the MC isn't installed I'd do it now, along with the lines and reservoir.

After this A-pillar covers, etc.

Glass in last helps because you're not having to jump in and out of the car constantly to run from the dash then to the cowl area and back. If it's out you can just reach over to do some of this work from the passenger compartment. But if it's already in no problems. After all this put a nice new windshield to dash rubber piece on (also at 914Rubber!).
r_towle
Dash first, under cowl second.
You need the vents and cables in place to do the under cowl stuff.
You need to leave the,windshield out until you put the top vinyl on which is nearly impossible to put in with,the windshield in place, well, at least to put it in right.

Rich
Rob-O
Top vinyl
Would already be on the dash assembly before it goes in the car. Outlined in my previous post. I think we may be disagreeing on what the 'dash' is. I'm talking about the whole she-bang, metal frame and all, which is obviously not in his car in the pictures. You put the vinyl and dash pad on the metal frame first, then there is no need to worry about wrapping the vinyl under the metal frame of the dash since it's already on.

You put the defroster vents (ONLY) on first to give you the wiggle room needed to get those pieces in place without snapping one of the little plastic tangs off the mixing valve portion of the defroster/mixing valve assembly. The little tangs (two) at the bottom of each assembly.

EdwardBlume
It should be pretty straight forward. When you put something on, just don't notice something's missing and think.... I'll get that later....

You're going to get stuck with needing small parts. Best to have lots of extra 10MM, 13MM, bolts and washers handy otherwise you'll be going back and forth to the parts store... ask me how i know....

Enjoy! Beautiful 914... smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The bolts are 6 mm and 8 mm. They use a 10 mm and 13 mm wrench. Improper nomenclature causes confusion.
r_towle
If it was me, and the windshield was already out, it would be the last thing I put On the car, period.

Rich
Carl456
Following along and going to try to keep up!

Congrats on the car, nice color too!
Rob-O
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 6 2016, 12:12 PM) *

If it was me, and the windshield was already out, it would be the last thing I put On the car, period.

Rich

Agreed! biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 6 2016, 08:53 AM) *

The bolts are 6 mm and 8 mm. They use a 10 mm and 13 mm wrench. Improper nomenclature causes confusion.

Yeah, what he said....

It's also fun to do the doors.... Use nice stuff, like from Mikey... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.