Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Design?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Foxman
Hi all, first post here. I picked up two 914s over the weekend. A '74 2.0L and '72 1.8L. I will be restoring the '74 to drivable condition over the next month and the main problem at this point is the floor pans.

Now on to my questions about Restoration Design. Has anyone ever ordered directly from this company? I read good things about their floor pans and other replacement parts, so I ordered a front pan, back pan and the seat supports. The problem is I did that on Monday and have not heard anything from them, nor received any kind of confirmation for my order. I was wondering if maybe they are slow to fill orders? ShouldI go to Pelican parts and pay a little more there? Thanks for any advice.
Type 4
Buying from pelican wont get your parts any faster.
Pelican stocks very little inventory.
They order parts in as needed to fill orders.
TimT
Ive bought a few cars worth of panels from Restoration Design, and never had a problem with them.

You may hear differently from others..

Bill Frey is a very helpful guy, usually returns calls the next day, or later the same day!

Its a small shop, two man op I believe

have faith
ws91420
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 23 2005, 08:06 PM)
Ive bought a few cars worth of panels from Restoration Design, and never had a problem with them.

You may hear differently from others..

Bill Frey is a very helpful guy, usually returns calls the next day, or later the same day!

Its a small shop, two man op I believe

have faith

agree.gif
rhcb914
I ordered jack posts and supports from them about 2 months ago. Never heard anything. I called and left repeated voice mail messages....Nothing. confused24.gif
Ended up ordering the parts from Tweeks and had it with in 5 days.

Restoration Design may have great stuff but I have yet to see anything from them. blink.gif

Needless to say I am not impressed. mad.gif
Foxman
QUOTE (rhcb914 @ Mar 23 2005, 05:15 PM)
I ordered jack posts and supports from them about 2 months ago. Never heard anything. I called and left repeated voice mail messages....Nothing. confused24.gif
Ended up ordering the parts from Tweeks and had it with in 5 days.

Restoration Design may have great stuff but I have yet to see anything from them. blink.gif

Needless to say I am not impressed. mad.gif

I too have left two or three voicemails with no response. Maybe something is happening with them?
lapuwali
They seem to recently be having some fulfilment problems. Bill had some health problems a couple of months ago. I've heard he's recovered, but the business still might be rushing to catch up.
Rhodes71/914
From what I understand you need to actually speak to someone directly to get your restoration design order out the door.

william harris
Well this one caught my eye. As you may know, my car is in the body shop getting ready for paint now. Tried calling Restoration Design for about one week. Left several messages - no return phone calls. So thought I would fax in an order for the outer rocker covers I need. Fax received, no return call, credit card not charged, nothing. Called several times since then - still no return call, e-mail, etc. What the hell is going on. confused24.gif
mikey
I ordered floors and the battery tray and support from Restoration Design a couple of years ago. There was a delay with the battery tray and support but knew from the beginning that they would be delayed. Bill was always helpful and left phone messages several times with the status of my order. I'd say it was a more than satisfactory transaction and I would definitely do business with him again.

Just my 2 pfennigs.

Gint
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 Posted on Mar 23 2005 @ 06:55 PM)
From what I understand you need to actually speak to someone directly to get your restoration design order out the door.

agree.gif

That has been my experience. I left a vm for Bill once and he returned it a couple of weeks later. In the meantime, I had already had a friend in Michigan drive over there, purchase the part, and ship it out to me (more or less, LOL). I have bought several pieces directly from RD, but I always just call 5-10 times during a business day until I get Bill to answer the phone. From there, rock solid service. Once you make a personal phone connection, you're in.
Foxman
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 23 2005, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 Posted on Mar 23 2005 @ 06:55 PM)

agree.gif

That has been my experience. I left a vm for Bill once and he returned it a couple of weeks later. In the meantime, I had already had a friend in Michigan drive over there, purchase the part, and ship it out to me (more or less, LOL). I have bought several pieces directly from RD, but I always just call 5-10 times during a business day until I get Bill to answer the phone. From there, rock solid service. Once you make a personal phone connection, you're in.

Making this connection seems to be the difficult part. It shouldn't take five or ten calls a day to get ahold of someone at a business. I will give them another day or two and then I will move on to tweeks to order from.
drew365
The 914 support community is a little fragile. It's not a volume business, so you have to put up with the quirks of dealing with mom and pop operations at times. My experience with RD is the same as others, several calls before getting Bill to answer. At that point the transaction becomes very straight forward. He may be going through difficulties, I hope he keeps it together, his parts are excellent.
Foxman
QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 23 2005, 07:40 PM)
The 914 support community is a little fragile. It's not a volume business, so you have to put up with the quirks of dealing with mom and pop operations at times. My experience with RD is the same as others, several calls before getting Bill to answer. At that point the transaction becomes very straight forward. He may be going through difficulties, I hope he keeps it together, his parts are excellent.

You are right. I am coming out of a 350HP VW Jetta and I am used to parts from larger companies. I guess I need to adjust to the smaller community that exists around these fantastic cars. After all, smaller communities usually help and support each other more than larger ones. I will continue to try and contact the folks at Restoration design.
CptTripps
I tried for several days, several times, several ways to contact/purchase from RD. Nothing. I even faxed them....never so much as a return call.

I finally bought floor pans from Perry, and had them the next day. Better product too...

Foxman
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 23 2005, 07:51 PM)
I tried for several days, several times, several ways to contact/purchase from RD. Nothing. I even faxed them....never so much as a return call.

I finally bought floor pans from Perry, and had them the next day. Better product too...

I am sorry. Who is Perry just for reference? I am looking to get this car going pretty quick to use a daily for now.
Foxman
Another question about these floorpans. Does the front pan come with the studs to mount the pedal assembly? Does the rear come with the seat hinges? If not how do I transplant these onto the new pans if mine are obliterated by rust? Thanks again.
Gint
QUOTE (drew365 Posted: Mar 23 2005 @ 08:40 PM)

agree.gif

Very well said. I will always give my money to the smaller business if they can support my needs. I like to buy parts from folks that do it for the love of the marque. I really like to support club members that produce products for 914s. They aren't making a killing but if I can help them make a buck supporting 914's, then I'm all over it.
CptTripps
QUOTE (Foxman @ Mar 23 2005, 10:55 PM)
Another question about these floorpans. Does the front pan come with the studs to mount the pedal assembly? Does the rear come with the seat hinges? If not how do I transplant these onto the new pans if mine are obliterated by rust? Thanks again.

I'll PM you the info...

Mine were left-right and came witht he pedal mounts AND the seat brackets.

Here's my Floor-Pan thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=24244

I take you step-by-step through the process...
solex
I will be needing some parts in the near future and wonder if someone (willing) who lives by Restoration Design (RD) would approach Bill and propose handling fulfillment for RD for a percentage would be helpful. I have been reading comments and it appears that if you show up at RD the fulfillment process is very quick...

Thoughts?
tdgray
Hey Tripps

Where did you get your floorpans? Who's Perry? I am too in need of some soon.

I was more interested in the Tweeks Pans as they are a complete right and left side with the seat brackets already installed.

Anybody have comments re: Tweeks pans?
CptTripps
QUOTE (tdgray @ Mar 24 2005, 09:08 AM)
Hey Tripps

I was more interested in the Tweeks Pans as they are a complete right and left side with the seat brackets already installed.

I'll PM his info...

When are we going to get together for a drink...I'm only 20min from you!

IronHillRestorations
Doug got his floorpans from ME biggrin.gif

I sell anything Porsche I can get my hands on.

Perry Kiehl
914 Network
a914man@netease.net
thekiehls@direcway.com
731-847-9146 shop
731-549-4643 cell
greg.treadway
Just research and see who manufactures the items. You can always go to the source.
rhodyguy
perry, do you have any tops in stock? i never thought i might need one to drive to sourthern california because it's raining like it used to in washington.

k
tdgray
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 24 2005, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (tdgray @ Mar 24 2005, 09:08 AM)
Hey Tripps

I'll PM his info...

When are we going to get together for a drink...I'm only 20min from you!

I know, we've got to get together one of these days. I think there are a couple other guys from our neighborhood in the club. I know there is a guy from Findlay but I can't remember his screen name right now.

Thanks for the PM. Soon as the weather breaks we'll have to get the cars out , it might be in the MGA but it would still be fun.

guywan914
I've purchased all my restoration pieces from RD. Was one of the lucky ones to speak to Bill. All the pieces came thru extremely high quality and would recommend him to anyone. Being a small buisness owner myself I know how it is when health problems can slow things down. There are times when I can't return calls for weeks, this may not be acceptable to those of you who think this is the age of instant communication, however we who run small businesses and perform quality work can only do so much. In my line of work I cannot take on any more work for 6 months, and cannot return all the phone calls I get. Those who happen to catch me in do recieve a quick response, otherwise the message just gets put in the pile. Keep trying, you'll be pleased with the product. From what I hear Bill supplies AA with parts.
greg.treadway
Bill does not supply Automobile Atlanta with parts. We manufacture our own. We use to work closely with Bill but had a falling out unfortunately. Feel free to ask and I'll be happy to let you know what Bill makes and what I make.
william harris
Look, I operate my own business, although quite different - a law firm. I would love to do business with Restoration Design as I understand they manufacture these pieces and support the Porsche community. However, after 2 weeks I gotta look elsewhere because the body shop is going to paint the car and that dictates the pace. I make it my practice to return all phone calls to my office before I leave the office each day - sometimes that means 7-7:30 before I go home. smile.gif
CptTripps
I'm all about helping out the 'little guy', and I realize that we are a tightly-knit group of cheap-ass bastards (joke) that arent ordering things every 5min, but I agree with william harris.

I started my first company at 14...and at 30, I run a dozen. I can appreciate health issues, and just about anythign else that pops up. I've seen it all. What I can't understand is having a voicemail that says "Someone will get back to you shortly" if they won't. Even if it's a 30sec phone call to say "Hey, were real busy, can it wait a week?"

I'm the first to admit that when I order something, I want it immediately. But some things can't be bought that quick, and that's fine too. Just be up-front with the person.

I placed a web order with RD, faxed a list of the things I wanted with a CC number, and called and left message after message....nothing. I realize there are a lot of great guys out there that know a lot of stuff. I can also appreciate that people get busy and need a little extra time. But at some point, I need to move on and order from someone else.

I'll try RD another time when I need some other stuff that he sells, and have time to wait for it. I'm happy to support the 'little guy' with great product. There are just some things I need sooner, rather than later.
Qarl
I just spoke with Bill today. I ordered something a few days ago. He called me to tell me it was shipping.

Try calling the shop.

http://www.restoration-design.com

Foxman
QUOTE (Qarl @ Mar 24 2005, 07:21 PM)
I just spoke with Bill today. I ordered something a few days ago. He called me to tell me it was shipping.

Try calling the shop.

http://www.restoration-design.com

Unfortunately, I needed to move quickly, so I ordered a set of pans from Perry yesterday and wouldn't you know it, two hours later RD calls to setup shipping arrangements on the order I placed Monday, but I had already completed the other transaction. I will definitely keep RD in mind for other products, but my schedule is really tight on this car at the moment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.