Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Lap of America 2016 - the 914 entry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
tomeric914
www.onelapofamerica.com

Sponsor us at this link: gofundme.com/wyszp4hw Whatever extra we have left over at the end will be donated to the United Way.

Follow us on this thread and/or here on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/OneLap914/

Cupomeat and I have talked about running One Lap since probably high school which was, well, a long time ago. So we're finally entering this year. Should be interesting considering it's a little two seat car, no heat or air conditioning, 2800+ miles and 7+ days of driving. No radio at this point, but we're working on that.

I'm not sure of the details, but from what I read, spectators are encouraged to attend. So if you live near one of the tracks and are available to come out and say hello, please do! The schedule and the tracks we'll be at can be found on the One Lap website link listed above.

At this point, we have no sponsors except for those that one lap has already set up. If you would like to sponsor us and get your logo on the 914, please drop me a PM. We have space for logos on the hood and trunk, maybe more. From the One Lap website, "One Lap reserves the top of the windshield and the front fenders back including both doors, or equal space, for the event decals. This will typically include a Tire Rack window tint, door decal, number plaque, NASA tech decal and several sponsor decals"

Are we gonna win? Who knows, but it'll be a helluva lot of fun!

IPB Image
Bruce Hinds
piratenanner.gif Good luck guys, this sounds like a whole lot of fun. piratenanner.gif
GregAmy
Good luck! I did it in the late 90s in a nice Audi S6 luxobarge, and that was enough for me...I'd not want to do it in a 914! wink.gif

http://gatm.org/cars/onelap/onelap2.html
http://gatm.org/cars/onelap/index.html
BeemerSteve
Keep us in the loop! You should start a blog for your trip if you might have the time while driving especially if two are going. It'll help pass the time too.
whitetwinturbo
Go "Brock Yates" hard............. beer3.gif
bandjoey
Good luck. Set up a Go Fund Me Account
kupcar
Looks like a blast! Best of luck. What size motor are you guys running?
wndsrfr
Sweet...looking forward to seeing y'all at the Summit Point stop...for the radio,
Get a pair of XM Roady's and fitted earplugs....each to his own that way!
stevegm
Maybe Fourteener Motoring could help sponsor you. PM me.
tomeric914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 6 2016, 11:30 AM) *

Good luck! I did it in the late 90s in a nice Audi S6 luxobarge, and that was enough for me...I'd not want to do it in a 914! wink.gif

http://gatm.org/cars/onelap/onelap2.html
http://gatm.org/cars/onelap/index.html

That is an excellent write-up! We hope to post regular updates here but God knows when we'll be able to do it. Thanks!

QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Mar 6 2016, 12:23 PM) *

Keep us in the loop! You should start a blog for your trip if you might have the time while driving especially if two are going. It'll help pass the time too.

Agreed. A couple of GoPros in the car would be ideal. Not sure we'll have time to edit on the fly though.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Thinking about it. Neither of us are independently wealthy.

QUOTE(kupcar @ Mar 6 2016, 12:39 PM) *

Looks like a blast! Best of luck. What size motor are you guys running?

3.0 liter. Check out my build page in the signature below. smile.gif

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 6 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Sweet...looking forward to seeing y'all at the Summit Point stop...for the radio,
Get a pair of XM Roady's and fitted earplugs....each to his own that way!

I have a love/hate relationship with Summit. Fun track. Not fun that ever time I have been there, at least one vehicle has creamed a deer in the front straight.

QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 6 2016, 12:51 PM) *

Maybe Fourteener Motoring could help sponsor you. PM me.

Will do Steve!
stevegm
I always wanted to do the One Lap. But it's always the first couple weeks of May, and I always have final exams to give then. Finally, my son and I decided we would do our own "one lap" around the U.S. next summer.
Dion
That's awesome! Good luck with all.
mepstein
My suby conversion is supposed to be my long distance car. Heat and air. A paint job that I'm not afraid to get wet or stone chipped.
914forme
That was a goal for my car also, do a one-lap, I have a hitch, as no support vehicles allowed.

I also found a 7 day auto-x version, that I might try first.

Can't wait to see this one unfold. You updating this thread or starting anew? Need to know which one to subscribe to. popcorn[1].gif
jimkelly
what is the typical strategy to winning this?
drive as fast as your car will go?
fast gas stops?

tomeric914
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 6 2016, 02:28 PM) *

That was a goal for my car also, do a one-lap, I have a hitch, as no support vehicles allowed.

I also found a 7 day auto-x version, that I might try first.

Can't wait to see this one unfold. You updating this thread or starting anew? Need to know which one to subscribe to. popcorn[1].gif

I'll keep everything in this thread. I thought about towing a small trailer, but I think it would be just another thing to fail along the way. Trunk rack maybe?

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 6 2016, 02:34 PM) *

what is the typical strategy to winning this?
drive as fast as your car will go?
fast gas stops?

Heh, spend a lot of money. We're in it for the fun. Though 2800 miles in a fairly low, fairly stiff 914 may not be everyone's idea of fun. w00t.gif
saigon71
Sounds like an awesome trip...best of luck to you both! beerchug.gif

Please post plenty of pics!

Chris H.
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2016, 11:32 AM) *

^^^ This! We can all throw a few bucks at it.

Good luck guys. Keep us posted so you can get help if needed along the way.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 6 2016, 02:22 PM) *

My suby conversion is supposed to be my long distance car. Heat and air. A paint job that I'm not afraid to get wet or stone chipped.

Ah, "Heat and Air"... this 914 has heat from the Firewall (and oil tubes) and as much air as the window allows when rolled down. No creature comforts this time!
It is going to be lots of fun, or at least a fantastic story to tell.

I am setting up the video editing solution for the trip. I'd like to post daily clips but that all depends on priorities!

Looking forward to seeing some of you at the tracks we run at!
tomeric914
Good idea. I have added the link to the original post as well as right here gofundme.com/wyszp4hw

Whatever extra we have left over at the end will be donated to the United Way.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 6 2016, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2016, 11:32 AM) *

^^^ This! We can all throw a few bucks at it.

Good luck guys. Keep us posted so you can get help if needed along the way.
tomeric914
I rarely, if ever, drive the 914 at night. Except for the track time, most of One Lap will likely be spent driving at night on public roads. It was time to upgrade to LEDs from Trucklite (which are the same as the GE LEDs except significantly less expensive).

Click to view attachment

While I was in there, I noticed the front turn signal bucket socket was loose. Nothing some JB Weld won't fix.

Click to view attachment
tomeric914
Less than 2 weeks away and we are pretty much ready to go. We've got new One Lap branded shoes on the vehicle, hotel reservations and all required equipment per the rules

We have a couple of sponsors but could always use more!

Thanks to Steve at Fourteener Touring Magazine for coverage and sponsorship!

We will also use this thread as a location to update our progress and provide links to video, etc.

Sponsor us at this link: gofundme.com/wyszp4hw Whatever extra we have left over at the end will be donated to the United Way.

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Hey Tom you might want to check your GoFundMe page. Got an error message. I realized I hadn't donated yet!
Garland
Unable to give, message seen:

Campaign Not Ready
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account.

Chris Pincetich
Awesome beerchug.gif
Good call on the LED headlights. I love mine.
Have fun and drink lots of fluids! I'd recommend getting some powdered electrolyte mix you can add to water to keep properly hydrated. And lots of snacks!
beerchug.gif
driving.gif
smilie_pokal.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 19 2016, 01:08 PM) *

Hey Tom you might want to check your GoFundMe page. Got an error message. I realized I hadn't donated yet!

Hmm, interesting. I clicked the link and it worked for me.

Here it is again https://www.gofundme.com/wyszp4hw
tomeric914
QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 19 2016, 01:17 PM) *

Campaign Not Ready
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account.

Got it fixed. Could explain why there were limited donations! Thanks for the heads up! beer.gif
Menmojo
Are these the headlights you used? If not please post the link.
Are the plug & play?

http://www.class8truckparts.com/Grote-9094...p;searchSize=12
Mueller
Good luck, keep us posted!
Chris H.
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 19 2016, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 19 2016, 01:17 PM) *

Campaign Not Ready

Got it fixed. Could explain why there were limited donations! Thanks for the heads up! beer.gif

This was the message I got before. Maybe because I'm not on Facebook. It worked this time. Good Luck! beerchug.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 19 2016, 05:58 PM) *

This was the message I got before. Maybe because I'm not on Facebook. It worked this time. Good Luck! beerchug.gif

Thank you Chris!
tomeric914
QUOTE(Menmojo @ Apr 19 2016, 05:05 PM) *

Are these the headlights you used? If not please post the link.
Are the plug & play?

http://www.class8truckparts.com/Grote-9094...p;searchSize=12

Interesting, I had not seen those before. GE/Trucklite are the ones to get. I found them at the lowest price here http://www.ebay.com/itm/281437873317

They are indeed plug and play.
Cupomeat
My plan is to post some video/pics of each day's events. Depending on the day and how much editing time i'll have, don't expect too much editing, but at least you all can follow along.

Wow, I can't believe this is about 1 week away to start!

Thanks to you all for your support!

Eric
tomeric914
I have set up a Facebook page where we will post daily videos updates, etc. at: https://www.facebook.com/OneLap914/

Stop on over and like us!
JoeD
Good luck guys. I admire you for this undertaking! Just threw in a bit of support. Hope it helps.
Porschef
Tom, best of luck with your endeavor, I would love to do this some day. I plan on going up to Mass to watch on the 2nd. A long time friend is also running the course with a somewhat newer Porsche... drooley.gif

r_towle
What are the dates and times at Palmer Raceway in MA?
Maybe we can get a gang of 914 guys to show up and cheer you on.

Rich
Porschef
Rich, Monday the 2nd is the day at Palmer. smile.gif Time trial starts at 8:30.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Porschef @ Apr 23 2016, 06:02 AM) *

Rich, Monday the 2nd is the day at Palmer. smile.gif Time trial starts at 8:30.

I'm running the TNIA event later that afternoon at Palmer. I'll try to get there earlier and say "hello" but if I miss you guys, best of luck! And if you have any issues while in the CT/MA area, do give me a ring!

- Greg, 203-209-1217 cell
tomeric914
QUOTE(JoeD @ Apr 22 2016, 08:46 PM) *

Good luck guys. I admire you for this undertaking! Just threw in a bit of support. Hope it helps.

THANK YOU Joe D! beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Good luck guys!
I built the rear wing uprights on Mark Davia's 911 Turbo that won 6 years straight (I think).
tomeric914
Greg, Rich, Porschef you guys are awesome! Eric will be driving so I'll be on the lookout for all y'all. cheer.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 23 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Good luck guys!
I built the rear wing uprights on Mark Davia's 911 Turbo that won 6 years straight (I think).

You built the cage (and other parts) that I welded into the 914 we'll be running! welder.gif
Cupomeat
QUOTE(JoeD @ Apr 22 2016, 08:46 PM) *

Big Thanks Joe!!
Cupomeat
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 23 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Greg, Rich, Porschef you guys are awesome! Eric will be driving so I'll be on the lookout for all y'all. cheer.gif

Speaking of me driving, I've been watching track videos but have never driven Palmer before.
I appreciate any tips, or specific videos to watch to help me.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 23 2016, 01:27 PM) *

Speaking of me driving, I've been watching track videos but have never driven Palmer before.

Late apex EVERYTHING. It's a very visually intimidating track, but many corners look similar. And there's very little exit room for mistakes. If you get the corners mixed up (e.g., the late-apex lefty with the early-apex one), you could get yourself in a bind. It takes several sessions to really get comfy there, so go into this event with a mindset of "let's get our two laps in safely and move along to the next track".

That said...it's one HELL of a place, a real driver's track. Enjoy it, and plan on coming back soon to master it.

My buddy Jeff Wasilko probably has as many laps as anyone there. Find his latest Palmer video and watch that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvjBF6nL8Q

GA
tomeric914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 23 2016, 08:02 PM) *

"let's get our two laps in safely and move along to the next track".

This is the mantra we will finish by. smilie_pokal.gif

Cupomeat
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 23 2016, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 23 2016, 01:27 PM) *

Late apex EVERYTHING. It's a very visually intimidating track, but many corners look similar. And there's very little exit room for mistakes. If you get the corners mixed up (e.g., the late-apex lefty with the early-apex one), you could get yourself in a bind. It takes several sessions to really get comfy there, so go into this event with a mindset of "let's get our two laps in safely and move along to the next track".

That said...it's one HELL of a place, a real driver's track. Enjoy it, and plan on coming back soon to master it.

My buddy Jeff Wasilko probably has as many laps as anyone there. Find his latest Palmer video and watch that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvjBF6nL8Q

GA

Thanks, This video is great.
Lots of set ups on the wrong side for the next corner.

GregAmy
Yeah, that's the prob. You track out from the prior corner and you're in a bad spot for the next one. I think Jeff has it wired pretty good in this video.

I just looked at your sched and it appears you're doing two events there? One starting at 0830 and one at 1230. I need to be there for 1300 so I'll leave a tad early and stop by to say hello and see you off. If the day is nice I'll drive the red 914...

Have! Fun!

GA
tomeric914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 24 2016, 10:45 PM) *

I just looked at your sched and it appears you're doing two events there? One starting at 0830 and one at 1230. I need to be there for 1300 so I'll leave a tad early and stop by to say hello and see you off. If the day is nice I'll drive the red 914...

We're not sure of the structure of it all quite yet. We'll learn more at registration and the driver's meetings to follow and provide an update here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.