Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Well its happened got the six in the hole OP has caused me grief but generally all is good,clutch cable is new and appears to long but I do have good pedal feel but its mostly near the end of adjustment @ pedal and trans anyone had this???
Pedal box has some wear but not enough to cause this...another OP issue ...paint up the parts and don't replace some bushes WTF.gif
Now to sort the throttle cable which is a country mile too long but not really an issue.
Really this isn't an issue as I type this outside and its 30 (celcius) and I watch the tide coming in....I love New Zealand.
I hope to update some pics as getting the engine has been a real milestone,cheers and thanks.
mark04usa
I think that the shorter replacement trunions might have a bit to do with the cables being too long.Click to view attachment

Original plastic part on the left, typical metal replacement on the right. confused24.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Mar 7 2016, 07:32 PM) *

I think that the shorter replacement trunions might have a bit to do with the cables being too long.Click to view attachment

Original plastic part on the left, typical metal replacement on the right. confused24.gif

thanks ...yea have the metal replacement as shown,clutch is new...now wondering why the change ,I do know I will have adjustment for the future but think it will be limited.
Darren C
Having recently fitted a new clutch cable, I had been advised that the new replacement cables are now being supplied too long???

The advice was to cut down by 3/4" the end that screws into the clevis at the pedal end .
Otherwise you run out of thread travel at the gear box end even with the clevis screwed on so far as it can without passing through and fouling the pedal lever on which it connects.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Mar 6 2016, 10:32 PM) *

Uhhhhhh.....I just stacked on a couple of nuts & washers & drive on! I
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Mar 6 2016, 10:32 PM) *

Uhhhhhh.....I just stacked on a couple of nuts & washers & drive on!
dcecc1968
Mine had two metal sleeve spacers on it when I purchased it... I think this is a common fix.
sean_v8_914
is your clutch tube moving? look at firewall exit. also look thru the hole in the shifter. stick your finger in teh hole and touch the tube as you press the pedal
porschetub
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Mar 8 2016, 06:05 AM) *

is your clutch tube moving? look at firewall exit. also look thru the hole in the shifter. stick your finger in teh hole and touch the tube as you press the pedal

Thanks Sean,the tube was checked when I did my hand throttle mod and fuel line all in great
Think I will run a die down the thread further, problem will be to find a 11mm one,don't see I will need to add much more as the clutch is working close to correct freeplay.
I have also screwed the clevis up as far as it will go @ the pedal end.
r_towle
Did you wrap it on the pulley upside down? I mean you are in New Zealand...

Also, seriously, did you change the clutch and pressure plate?
Machined the pressure plate?
May need to shim the clutch fork out with a few washers which will change the geometry at the cable.

If you want, just add a slightly larger diameter nut and a couple of washers, it will be fine.
Larmo63
I just did mine. Same issue.
porschetub
QUOTE(Darren C @ Mar 7 2016, 10:35 PM) *

Having recently fitted a new clutch cable, I had been advised that the new replacement cables are now being supplied too long???

The advice was to cut down by 3/4" the end that screws into the clevis at the pedal end .
Otherwise you run out of thread travel at the gear box end even with the clevis screwed on so far as it can without passing through and fouling the pedal lever on which it connects.

Thanks Darren and sorry missed your reply,good one at that ,definitely easier to reduce the thread length @ the clevis,basically the cable thread is too long here so easier to deal with that.
Now the throttle cable...bit of adaption required there ???
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 8 2016, 07:08 PM) *

Did you wrap it on the pulley upside down? I mean you are in New Zealand...

Also, seriously, did you change the clutch and pressure plate?
Machined the pressure plate?
May need to shim the clutch fork out with a few washers which will change the geometry at the cable.

If you want, just add a slightly larger diameter nut and a couple of washers, it will be fine.

Rich thanks,mentioned new clutch,pressure plate machined not sure what you mean there?,do you mean flywheel if so that is 100% never been resurfaced and great.
Being an engineer and a car guy I go the full hog on what needs attention.
All new parts have been used for clutch and gearbox all the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.