Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why does right tire rub fender only in reverse?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jason74914
I'm running 195's on my car and I did have to roll the inside lip of the rear fender for clearance. No problem moving forward, but on occasion when I'm backing up, the driver side rear tire will still rub the fender lip. I'm guessing this is just because in reverse it "torques" the tranny. (This is the second 914 I've had, and the first one did the same thing.)
Any way to fix this?
Thanks.
914forme
My guess is suspension bushings. This allows toe-change and when backing up forces the tire out to rub. By chance does it happen while turning.

Tranny movement is completely separate of this, and if it isn't you have way bigger issues.
StratPlayer
There is a thread on here about a tire rub kit! I think it is sold by restoration. Design! It seems to be common problem with the 914.

Here's the link for the tire rub kit, it's not restoration design:
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/t.../914tirerub.htm
914_teener
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 7 2016, 09:36 AM) *

My guess is suspension bushings. This allows toe-change and when backing up forces the tire out to rub. By chance does it happen while turning.

Tranny movement is completely separate of this, and if it isn't you have way bigger issues.

agree.gif

Jack the rear of the car up....grab the tire and see if you can make it "rack".
rfinegan
My 75 did this with 195 too, I never found a root cause but put 100 LB springs in the rear and I no longer have this issue. Please post your progress for those who need to know...

Best of luck

-Robert
brant
I'm going with bushings (spell check strikes again)
or an ovaled console hole
Larmo63
agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 7 2016, 02:18 PM) *
I'm going with bushes or an ovaled console hole

agree.gif
r_towle
Or a rusted and kinda broken suspension console.

Don't drive it till you jack it up and know why it is doing this....it might be bad.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 7 2016, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 7 2016, 02:18 PM) *
I'm going with bushes or an ovaled console hole

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif
DBCooper
My bet is also suspension bushings. If moving the car by hand doesn't work you can re-create the movement. Have someone in the car put it in first gear with their right foot firmly on the brake and at a fast idle let the clutch out until it's slipping. You'll see some movement as the drive train "jacks up" against the stationary rear wheel. Then put it into reverse and do the same, you should see the tire move into contact with the fender. Don't get underneath the car or anywhere where you could be hurt, but have your friend go back and forth between first and reverse and you should be able to see what's moving and where.

914forme
agree.gif But it sounds like a good use of a gopro or equal camera.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.