Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ground Control rear Coilovers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Afternoon. I was wondering if anyone here had ever used Ground Control rear adjustable coilovers Kit on there 914. I have bilstein rear struts and know that they are listed as compatible but I have also read that there may need to have some modifications to make them work. I was hoping they were just plug and play and was wondering if someone here had experience with them. I appreciate any input. Brett
JimN73
I am using Ground Control coil-overs and have them on the car for 4 or 5 years. They're easy to install and adjust and perform 'as advertised'.

Installation advice. Pull the springs up to the top of the shock tower and use something stronger than zip-ties to hold them there. I'm using stainless wire that is less than 1/16 on an inch.

If you don't fasten them to the shock tower they will move up and down the shock, make noise and abrade the aluminum threads on the perch.
t collins
agree.gif
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
I use them as well. They dont spin the greatest after a while but they do the job for a pretty good price. Make sure you get the right ID.
Gearup
QUOTE(t collins @ Mar 7 2016, 02:23 PM) *

Your car looks very nice. Couple of other questions. Did you paint or powder coat your rear trailing arms and hardware and are those vented 914-6 rotors in the rear with rear 914 calipers with spacers.? I bought 911 front struts with Brembo Boxster Brakes. I have been looking at buying the spacers and using a machined sc rotor with a good brake pad. I am not tracking the car (as of now) and really want to keep the parking brake. Also, what pound springs are you using. I am putting in a new SBC 283 and was thinking of using 200lb springs but was recently told to go with 175 lbs. as 200lb would be too stiff for a mostly street car. Ideas/input? Thanks
Gearup
Click to view attachment
I thought this was a good deal. Is this the correct ID you were referring to?
Larmo63
I just installed the Rebel Racing set up with 200# springs.

I love them.

Click to view attachment
BigFour1973
I went with the ground control set up and ordered straight from them. lifetime warranty on their parts so i figured the extra price is justified.

I went with 175 lb/in springs for my 4 cylinder and it is defiantly on the stiffer side.
t collins
QUOTE(Gearup @ Mar 7 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Your car looks very nice. Couple of other questions. Did you paint or powder coat your rear trailing arms and hardware and are those vented 914-6 rotors in the rear with rear 914 calipers with spacers.? I bought 911 front struts with Brembo Boxster Brakes. I have been looking at buying the spacers and using a machined sc rotor with a good brake pad. I am not tracking the car (as of now) and really want to keep the parking brake. Also, what pound springs are you using. I am putting in a new SBC 283 and was thinking of using 200lb springs but was recently told to go with 175 lbs. as 200lb would be too stiff for a mostly street car. Ideas/input? Thanks

I painted the trailing arms, the vented rotors are 911with the O.D. machined down, the rear 914 GT alloy calipers w/parking brake are from Eric Shea (PMB Performance) and the springs are 140#
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
Jay Morris is Ground Control and I know him through a friend. Picked up my springs and collars directly from him. Great guy, great products...
Andyrew
QUOTE(Gearup @ Mar 7 2016, 04:16 PM) *

I had 180, 275, and 225s on my v8. Its all about balance. 200s are a good street spring assuming you have a front sway bar.
screenguy914
It should be noted that a pair of springs should be added to the cost of the coil over hardware.

Some retailer ads include coil springs in their coil over product photos, w/o mentioning springs not included - could be confusing.

Sherwood
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 7 2016, 04:39 PM) *

I just installed the Rebel Racing set up with 200# springs.

I love them.

Click to view attachment

I bought the Rebel Racing 2.25" 175 lb springs. I also got tired of the "klunk" when lowering the car on the lift and finally broke down and bought the helper springs. They should be here tomorrow. I will install them this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.