Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcav
So i got the clutch job done and adjusted the valves and new gear oil, and when i went to go start the car it wouldn't, there is no voltage getting to the fuel pump and you don't hear it priming.....now i'm not sure what to do.

Oh great infinite knowledge of 914 world please help me
TheCabinetmaker
Check the rear fuse on the relay board
jcav
fuse was intact and looked fine maybe ill try a different fuse in place
jcd914
Knowing the year, the engine size and the fuel system would help.

Jim
JeffBowlsby
See the FP troubleshooting procedures here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

1/2 way down the page.
Twonicks001
QUOTE(jcav @ Mar 7 2016, 05:51 PM) *

So i got the clutch job done and adjusted the valves and new gear oil, and when i went to go start the car it wouldn't, there is no voltage getting to the fuel pump and you don't hear it priming.....now i'm not sure what to do.

Oh great infinite knowledge of 914 world please help me

Think we've all been through this nightmare. My last gremlin turned out to be a faulty plug on the pump. Ended up just cutting it off and splicing on clips to insert into the pump. Check to see if you have 12v at the plug when the key is turned...if not then it's back to the relay board.

My first go round was caused by a bad pump which I replaced (probably too quickly in hindsight). I should have blown it out first and tested it again. A tiny piece of debris in the fuel will block the pump and you'll get the same "no prime" when you turn the key.
jcav
Thanks all i will have to look into that,

For reference the car is a 1975 with the 1.8
timothy_nd28
Make sure the resistor pack is plugged in
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jcav @ Mar 7 2016, 07:31 PM) *

The L-Jet system used on the 1.8L does not prime like the D-Jet system does. It also doesn't use any relays or fuses on the relay board.

Disconnect the yellow lead on the starter.
Turn the key to start and listen for the fuel pump.

Second, disconnect the air flow meter from the rubber elbow that connects it to the throttle body.
Turn the key on, and open the air flow meter with your finger.

Both of those should make the pump run.

If it doesn't work, check the yellow wire coming out of the engine harness at the 12 pin connector on the relay board. Make sure it is plugged into one of the two rear spade connectors on the 4 pin connector located in the left rear of the relay board.

If that is OK, check the double relay located under the battery. Make sure both plugs are in solid, and make sure the big red wire is connected to the battery.

If everything is ok there, unplug the fuel pump and put a test light in it's place. Repeat the steps above and see if the light comes on.

jcav
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 8 2016, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jcav @ Mar 7 2016, 07:31 PM) *

The L-Jet system used on the 1.8L does not prime like the D-Jet system does. It also doesn't use any relays or fuses on the relay board.

Disconnect the yellow lead on the starter.
Turn the key to start and listen for the fuel pump.

Second, disconnect the air flow meter from the rubber elbow that connects it to the throttle body.
Turn the key on, and open the air flow meter with your finger.

Both of those should make the pump run.

If it doesn't work, check the yellow wire coming out of the engine harness at the 12 pin connector on the relay board. Make sure it is plugged into one of the two rear spade connectors on the 4 pin connector located in the left rear of the relay board.

If that is OK, check the double relay located under the battery. Make sure both plugs are in solid, and make sure the big red wire is connected to the battery.

If everything is ok there, unplug the fuel pump and put a test light in it's place. Repeat the steps above and see if the light comes on.

Awesome ill try this tomorrow thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.