Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct paint for shooting bumpers and rocker panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Hey all,

Getting supplies so I can have my old man shoot my 74's bumpers, rocker panels and LE spoiler. He has a hard on for paint from http://www.tcpglobal.com/ for some reason. Knowing my dad it's likely price based, which as fine as long as it works.

He's asked me to source what I need and he'll help with prep and shooting.

I'm digging around their automotive paint section (http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/) and I'm seeing I'm in over my head. Not sure what black to get.

To put it bluntly, I need paint that's easiest to apply and will look good from ten feet. :-) My car will never be a show car.

driving.gif

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bonus pictures of my car in the garage this weekend, before/after.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JTdevine

SEM makes a paint called trim black either in aerosol or quart/ pint wich would require a spray gun. Used it on my bumpers i think they came out pretty good.
Larmo63
ThePaintedMan
What a lovely, warm sentiment Lawrence. I realize your avatar is Eastwood, but are you looking to be the new Cap'n Krusty? Randy (RoadGlue) has been on this board for a long time - a lot longer than you. And he's a nice guy to boot. Cut a guy a little slack for trying to get his car back on the road.
r_towle
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 7 2016, 08:53 PM) *

Your car actually looks a lot better without all the shit piled on top of it.

Dunno, I was looking at the dog in the background.
r_towle
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 7 2016, 10:22 PM) *

What a lovely, warm sentiment Lawrence. I realize your avatar is Eastwood, but are you looking to be the new Cap'n Krusty? Randy (RoadGlue) has been on this board for a long time - a lot longer than you. And he's a nice guy to boot. Cut a guy a little slack for trying to get his car back on the road.

He invented part of this interweb 914 thing, but his car IS still covered with a hit and he DID post it on the 914world site. He knows to expect it... av-943.gif
RoadGlue
Oh yeah, I posted it knowing I'd get shit for it. Should have got a 911 instead as you can't pile crap on it as easily! Seriously need to get a bit of prodding (you perverts you) to get motivated.

Currently having a 1911 short stroke built for it. George, those 40 IDFs will finally get to run some fuel again soon. I'm only about two or six years behind schedule on this project.

Here's the 1911 as of a few weeks ago. Headed down to my friend's shop tomorrow for more photo ops, parts swap and to lighten the old wallet some more.

Click to view attachment

Bumper that really needs the work:

Click to view attachment

Horse shit for those that dish it out and need more for their sling:

Click to view attachment

type.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(JTdevine @ Mar 7 2016, 05:45 PM) *

SEM makes a paint called trim black either in aerosol or quart/ pint wich would require a spray gun. Used it on my bumpers i think they came out pretty good.

Thank you for the reply!

Would you happen to have a photo of the results?
marksteinhilber
I love rattle cans and get great results when it's hot out! vHT epoxy in satin black from Oreilly or other flaps. Photo shows exactly this on front fiberglass bumper and OEM steel rockers!
Krieger
Hey Randy! I second the SEM trim black. I have had it on my rockers and front valences for years. A great quality paint. Hawley's has it for $16 a can last time I bought. It is not chalky and cleans up without scratching. I also have it on the dash of my track car. Your front bumper will take a beating of course, but at least with a can it is easy to touch up. Not too difficult to lay down without spray lines if your good. beerchug.gif
Tom_T
Randy -

TCP is just a supplier of many types & brands of paints & body supplies - often better prices than at the FLAPS for the same stuff - & they handle SEM & a bunch of other brands in rattle cans, as well as PPG - which is one of the top 4 auto body paint brands, along with Dupont, Glasurit & Sikkens (3 they don't sell), so you're probably okay getting it from them.

For DD 10 footer, you could probably also use Rustoleum Satin Black & gain some rustproofing qualities on the rockers & valances, or just prime with their products for same reason.

You may also want to shoot a light "stippling" coat of a paintable undercoating (SEM or others) between the primer & top color coats, if you want to reproduce the original factory look finish - plus add some rock chip protection (which was why they did it).

Take Dad's advice & make him happy with getting what you can at TCP, & not lose his help offer! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
WTF.gif

God, I was just kidding.

I'll just STFU.
Gmanscott55
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 8 2016, 05:52 AM) *

WTF.gif

God, I was just kidding.

I'll just STFU.

Well I am here in the forum to learn and appreciate all those comments.. Good, bad or the light hearted ones. Love the chatter and no one should take offense IMO. popcorn[1].gif

Larmo- looking forward to meeting you. I was at 356 club show on Sunday, but brought my 911. Should have brought the 914 as turned out to be beautiful!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 7 2016, 09:37 PM) *

Oh yeah, I posted it knowing I'd get shit for it. Should have got a 911 instead as you can't pile crap on it as easily! Seriously need to get a bit of prodding (you perverts you) to get motivated.

Currently having a 1911 short stroke built for it. George, those 40 IDFs will finally get to run some fuel again soon. I'm only about two or six years behind schedule on this project.

Horse shit for those that dish it out and need more for their sling:

Click to view attachment

type.gif

laugh.gif That last picture lol-2.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 7 2016, 10:58 PM) *

Randy -

TCP is just a supplier of many types & brands of paints & body supplies - often better prices than at the FLAPS for the same stuff - & they handle SEM & a bunch of other brands in rattle cans, as well as PPG - which is one of the top 4 auto body paint brands, along with Dupont, Glasurit & Sikkens (3 they don't sell), so you're probably okay getting it from them.

For DD 10 footer, you could probably also use Rustoleum Satin Black & gain some rustproofing qualities on the rockers & valances, or just prime with their products for same reason.

You may also want to shoot a light "stippling" coat of a paintable undercoating (SEM or others) between the primer & top color coats, if you want to reproduce the original factory look finish - plus add some rock chip protection (which was why they did it).

Take Dad's advice & make him happy with getting what you can at TCP, & not lose his help offer! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Great advice! I think this is the winning ticket though I still want something I can shoot through a run. Let me see what I can find.

Thank you
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 8 2016, 05:52 AM) *

WTF.gif

God, I was just kidding.

I'll just STFU.

I knew you were kidding!

I'm still tempted to post some more shit photos though. :-) stromberg.gif

Please don't shut up. Let's have fun.

I've also got really thick skin for car stuff. Not sure what the fuss is about.
r_towle
Georges baby had a dirty diaper and was screaming at him.....so he let off some steam.

JTdevine
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 7 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Thank you for the reply!

Just made a post in garage (74 2.0) it shows picture of my car check it out and see if thats what you are looking for.
JTdevine
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 7 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Thank you for the reply!

Just made a post in garage (74 2.0) it shows picture of my car check it out and see if thats what you are looking for.
ThePaintedMan
I really do need to work on my sense of humor and stop reacting so quick. Sent Lawrence an apology. Looking forward to seeing the car rolling again Randy!

FWIW, I used some of the SEM Trim Black before. Good stuff, but I wiuld definitely get the stuff in the can. More durable than the rattle can
RoadGlue
It's amazing we all get along as well as we do considering we're all here because of an old car from the '70s. Other than that anything we have in common is just luck.

:-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.