Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Cost NOW Incredible !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I just got sticker shock trying to help fellow teener with a freebie long heater tube. I went to USPS and UPS for prices. The package was OVERSIZE (anything over 12"). Package was 4.4#. 32x10x7 Prices were for online shipping.

UPS (5 days) $26.05 Billed for 14#
USPS (2 days) $34.60

I hate getting taken. dry.gif Somebody is making a whole lot of money here.
Mikey914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 7 2016, 04:21 PM) *

I just got sticker shock trying to help fellow teener with a freebie long heater tube. I went to USPS and UPS for prices. The package was OVERSIZE (anything over 12"). Package was 4.4#. 32x10x7 Prices were for online shipping.

USPS (2 days) $34.60

12" is not oversized. 120 maybe, but try fedex
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2016, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 7 2016, 04:21 PM) *

USPS (2 days) $34.60

12" is not oversized. 120 maybe, but try fedex

FedEx is usually better for larger packages than USPS
BeatNavy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 7 2016, 07:21 PM) *

USPS (2 days) $34.60

Well. It is HARD to get a package to such a remote, rural backwater like Washington DC. With like a billion people here. And 3 major airports nearby mad.gif

Oh, well - no worries, Mark. Thanks for your help smile.gif
Series9
Seriously?

$26 is sticker shock?

I'll pay it. Tell me where to send the PayPal.

Good God, you guys can waste some time over a tiny amount of money.
raynekat
USPS has some "flat rate" mailers that come in different sizes and shapes that are usually very reasonably priced.

Normally there is no weight limit as long as it fits in the envelop/box.
falcor75
Try again when you have to pay $60 shipping for $50 worth if small parts. And then another $70 in vat and customs fees.

In just glad I bought All the parts from 914 rubber when the dollar was low a year ago.
Realities come into play here. When one rents an 1000 sf warehouse and only utilize the front office. Do you actually think the landlord will only charge you for the front office when the rest of the warehouse is empty? Also, for those that live in states that will increase the minimum wage to $15.00 / hr, do you think that say $3.00 burger will still be $3.00?
Depending on what you are doing, cost is going up in one way or another.
ChrisFoley
I shipped a 6 oz. package to Sebring last Thursday, First Overnight, so a 914 racer wouldn't miss any track time.
My shipping cost was over $62.

Dimensional weight charges on ground shipping can be very irritating.
When checking costs online it's worthwhile to try smaller package sizes to see if it helps.
In the OPs example, changing the box to 32 x 7 x 7 might have reduced the cost significantly.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 8 2016, 08:25 AM) *

I shipped a 6 oz. package to Sebring last Thursday, First Overnight, so a 914 racer wouldn't miss any track time.

If you gotta have it on time you gotta have it on time, right? And then you have to pay.

In this case I think Mark was just frustrated because he was doing me a favor sending me a freebie and then had to turn around and ask me to fork over close to $30 in shipping. At the end of the day I'm happy to pay to get the part I need for what's still a good deal. No, it not a ton of money, and I think I can handle it.
rhodyguy
FedEx oversized rates are girth + length not to exceed 130". At 66" the package should not be considered oversized. You have to watch the counter person like a hawk when they are measuring the box to be shipped.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 8 2016, 09:59 AM) *

FedEx oversized rates are girth + length not to exceed 130".

There are 3 levels of oversize. They also have minimum weight charges for smaller packages.
rhodyguy
I got that oversize # directly from the FedEx site and would fall into the 'ground' shipping category. Speed of delivery and weight factor into the equation. Exceed that 130" and shipping gets VERY $$$. That's why creative box trimming becomes important for larger items. Just noticed no fedex quote. I never deal with UPS when I'm the shipper.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 8 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Dimensional weight charges on ground shipping can be very irritating.
When checking costs online it's worthwhile to try smaller package sizes to see if it helps.
In the OPs example, changing the box to 32 x 7 x 7 might have reduced the cost significantly.

agree.gif I ship a fair amount of parts every week. Shipping costs have gone up over the last 6+ months. All services USPS, UPS and FedEx do offer discounted shipping if you do your buying & printing of labels on line. Making the box as small as possible, but yet safely keep your item from being damaged is the key for cheaper rates.

Also if you plan to ship USPS and the item doesn't fit in a flat rate box it just may be cheaper to ship it parcel post. While priority mail claims package will be there in 2-3 days that doesn't mean it will be. I have had many packages take over 7 days to get their destination (non holiday time) when it would have had the same results if I shipped parcel post and saved a few $$. AND....... USPS tracking is worthless. With FedEx & UPS you can usually have step by step tracking and can tell when the package arrived. Ok OK, I will end my rant. mad.gif
rhodyguy
With the part being free, $26 is sort of irrelevant. A FREE fedex account, it's tied to a credit card, makes for lower shipping costs. I think fedex policy now is no cash at distribution centers. Avoid using the fedex 'office stores' if at all possible. A 'premium' will be paid for the convenience.
tomeric914
Try www.shipnex.com

I shipped some tires recently and it was roughly 70% the cost of UPS. What's better is that they partner with UPS so the only difference is in the savings.
914-d
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 8 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Try www.shipnex.com

I shipped some tires recently and it was roughly 70% the cost of UPS. What's better is that they partner with UPS so the only difference is in the savings.

I use shipnex for most of my shipments, They pick up the package and it ships via UPS or Fedex. No mus no fuss and saves bucks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.