Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steverino
I have owned 3 914's over time.. I got a call the other day from someone wanting to sell 4 914's. 2 with engines and the other 2 are rollers. The two with engines are not running. He also has a complete fuel injection system and other parts.. He wanted me to make him an offer. Just wondering what this might be worth.
Thanks in advance...
Hank914
Maybe around $600, more or less. Prolly more if they are LEs. Or a bit more if the two with engines have six cylinder Porsche engines. More info would get you a better estimate, but YMMV.
iwanta914-6
All depends on amount of rust.
Big Len
If you are up on current prices (if not, go do some research ), go look at the cars and estimate the value of each car individually, not as a group. Only then can you add up the car's total value and offer half as a reasonable starting point.
Steverino
I am going out to get a close look. Can you offer some advice on what to look for as far as rust..
PlantMan
QUOTE(Steverino @ Mar 7 2016, 08:14 PM) *

I am going out to get a close look. Can you offer some advice on what to look for as far as rust..

Most people here are going to tell you the same thing.
Take a flash light with you and a small screw driver. Easiest places first. Open the engine lid and check down under the battery into the 'Hell Hole', 9 time out of 10 it will be rusted out. Poke your screw driver all around. Poke into the upper longitudinal member, the fire wall (behind the passenger seat), check the battery tray (probably eaten away). Look at the suspension console. Also look at the same place behind the drivers seat. My car was rusted on both sides.
Look at the jack posts on the sides of the car. If you can pull the outside rockers, do so. This will tell you right away the condition of the longitudinal members but if the Hell Hole is in bad shape from the engine compart the longs outside are probably in bad shape too. If you can pull the outside rockers poke your screw driver up under the jack post and back towards the the rear of the car. Check around the engine mounts. If the cars battery was leaking at onetime or another the acid can drop into the engine mount....this happened on my car too. Check the suspension console from under the car if possible too.
Pull the carpet back from the floor boards and check under the pedal cluster, behind the seats next to the fire wall.
Open the rear trunk and check in the low spots where water would set.
Open front truck and check below the spare tire.
Usually after you check the Hell Hole you will have a good idea of the condition of the car.

Post some pics too. We like to see the carnage!!!!
Blue6
The battery is located in the passenger side of the engine compartment. Get a flashlight and look carefully underneath it ( the hell hole). If that's is bad, or appears to have been repaired, look underneath the car in that area. Look at inside door jams, bottom corners of windshield, inside trunks, jack points, etc....
Steverino
Wow.. Great info.
I'll report back
EdwardBlume
Get the VINs and paint codes and compare to the members list too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.