Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shift the first gear fail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jm993rs
Hi !!

Now when I have my tribute car return finish worked the engine 2.4 E and have return mounted all on the car ...... i have the first gear jump !!

Not understand because time ago works perfect ........ And now when have all return mounte complet the first gear jump......

I lose a lot of our with the adjusting external of the gearbox and I'm sure the problem is insede the gearbox ......... But is possible not need open all complet gearbox ........ Please the gurus of the 914 gearbox can please help for can have finished this littlel problem because is near of make races .......... The engine is standard 2.4e with mfi and the gearbox is Oem........ My cars is only for enjoy and for make regularity races ..... Not competition......

Later input pics ...... And vídeos .....

porschetub
QUOTE(jm993rs @ Mar 8 2016, 11:48 PM) *

Hi !!

Now when I have my tribute car return finish worked the engine 2.4 E and have return mounted all on the car ...... i have the first gear jump !!

Not understand because time ago works perfect ........ And now when have all return mounte complet the first gear jump......

I lose a lot of our with the adjusting external of the gearbox and I'm sure the problem is insede the gearbox ......... But is possible not need open all complet gearbox ........ Please the gurus of the 914 gearbox can please help for can have finished this littlel problem because is near of make races .......... The engine is standard 2.4e with mfi and the gearbox is Oem........ My cars is only for enjoy and for make regularity races ..... Not competition......

Later input pics ...... And vídeos .....

I remember your build of this car on Pelican...very nice,many on here could help but I think the first question would be to ask if your shifer is adjusted properly and you have updated/replaced all shift rod bushes,I have fitted the Tangerine racing bulkhead bush and it is a noticeable improvement over the stock part.
Tangerine racing have other parts to improve the stock shifting also,many say these parts work very well.
rhodyguy
At the rear of the trans there is a small cover plate on the bottom. Under the plate there is a triple rolled pin that connects the the input selector (prob wrong name) to the internals. They can fail in strange fashions. Did the gear jump issue happen quickly? To remove the cover you need to drain the trans first but will still need a catch basin. If you have a look inside have a new gasket in hand first and even if you don't need it rolled pin. Handy item to have anyway.
flyer86d
If it started happening immediately after installing the new engine, I agree that the linkage could be adjusted incorrectly. After that is eliminated and it still jumps out of first, it could be worn engagement dog teeth. Fortunately, that can be fixed with the trans in the car. Fred Apgar fixed ours that way 35 years ago.

Good choice of the 2.4 E engine. We still have our old 1973 911 2.4E and it is a wonderful performing car.

Charlie
With 993RS as name, any leads on a 993RS factory intake?
Also, very nicely done 914 6 GT . Good luck with your concern with your trans.
colingreene
I have a load of tail shift parts if you happen to need something.
jm993rs
The gearbox is one Oem tailshift and the problem with the first gear when jump is not problem I know. On the car...........works good......and when now return have mounted the gearbox the problem start one day in first gerars up the car in to the trayler without problems.......... And when down and arrived in to the track day the first gear when is inside and the car start the first gear the gear jump !!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.